My 1st Guild is my grail - An American Patriarch Artist Award

Reaction score
Hi All,

I wanted to introduce myself to all of you in this very cool forum. My name is Paul and this is my first post to tell you about my first Guild. I figure this was one place I could come and rave freely about my new Guild and everyone would likely understand and not mind too much.

I turn the big 6-0 in a week or so and my lovely wife decided I should have a wonderful new guitar for the occasion. So, I've been looking for some time. I've been playing over 50 years and I've possibly had close to that many guitars over that time. I've dabbled in virtually every style it seems and still gig out a couple of times per month with a classic rock band. However, my personal passion has been arranging standards and pop tunes for solo fingerstyle. I've tried many types of guitars for this genre and even tried going with a classical for a few months with a Kenny Hill Signature. However, I seem to keep coming back around to archtops. I love their playability, but I wasn't really going for that traditional warm jazz tone. Rather I was looking for clear fundamental rich tones with good sustain, but not a lot of overtones. I wanted more of a great flat top sound in an archtop body. Seemed impossible to find in any guitar.

Well, in all my years I never remember saying "this is the best guitar I've ever played". That is until a couple of days ago. I sort of stumbled on to this particular Artist Award model after finding a youtube video from a couple of years by MusicStoreLive.com. I really loved the sounds of it on their video and I checked and they happened to have one. They described mine as used/b-stock, so I was prepared for the worst when opening the box, but it seems absolutely perfect to me! It's just beautiful!

Anyway, what do I love about it?

1) Everything about it is absolutely beautiful...the wonderful grains of the maple (looking down at the tiger striped neck is really a delight), the beautiful inlays and multiple bindings, the shape of the body, the "skinny" f-holes, the fantastic head stock! I just love all of it.

2) Playability. I was concerned that the neck width would be too skinny or the scale length too short (I had been looking for a 25.5 and this is a 24.75). Well the masters who built this thing know what makes a guitar playable. You can fret notes by blowing on the strings it seems. The combination of the neck shape and everything else makes it a perfect player for me. I wouldn't change a thing.

3) Acoustic tone - amazing rich clear responsive tones. You can hear each note in a chord. The trebles just sing and the bass just growls. It has this incredibly pleasing tone that I can't describe, but it just rings true to me and the tone is very "adjustable" depending on where you pick the strings. Another thing I love...as you dig in the volume of the notes seems to swell and blossom. I guess you'd call it head room, but it makes for such a very responsive and expressive instrument. I feel my playing has already improved because of it.

4) Amplified tone - I've read a lot about the pick ups on these. All I can say, it's wonderful. That's the only way I can describe it's amplified tone. And it seems to bring out the best of any amp I've plugged it in to. It's not muddy at all but produces a clear amplified sound of the guitar itself which is perfect in my opinion.

I had taken delivery on a used L-5 a week or so before finding this guitar, but I returned it the next day because it just didn't speak to me. I don't mean to negatively compare a Gibson L-5 to this guitar. They are just completely different animals. In my mind I always thought they were very similar, but I feel the Guild is perfect for me and the way my style has evolved.

Anyway, thank you for listening to this! I look forward to reading more and participating in this forum.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Paul!
Welcome, congratz, and pics are appreciated! (See sticky in Forum FAQs )

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi Paul! Welcome to LTG and congrats on a KILLER guitar!! We love introduction posts and as Default said, we love photos!! They're not exactly easy to post (you have to host them elsewhere and then use a direct link here using the Insert Image icon) but with a guitar like that.... we really need some photos!

Once again, welcome and CONGRATS!! :encouragement:

Reaction score
Hi Paul! Welcome to LTG and congrats on a KILLER guitar!! We love introduction posts and as Default said, we love photos!! They're not exactly easy to post (you have to host them elsewhere and then use a direct link here using the Insert Image icon) but with a guitar like that.... we really need some photos!

Once again, welcome and CONGRATS!! :encouragement:

Thank you for the welcomes! I will definitely try and my best to figure out how to post some pics!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG and way to make a splash with your first Guild! Would love to see pics as well!

guildman63

Reaction score
Welcome, Paul.

I have the AP AA as well, and I concur with everything you said.

Enjoy that guitar!

BTW: I suspect you got the last available AP guitar anywhere!

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome! You've snagged many of ours dream. (Although, what are you going to do for an encore?!?)

Pics! We demand pics!

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! I enjoyed reading your first post. You do a great job of describing what you are looking for in a guitar, and how the Guild AP AA fits the tone and playability requirements you are looking for. Congratulations on the big 6-0. I celebrated mine last Feb... 1955 is an excellent vintage!

Bill

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Don't know if this has been posted....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9YKwcr05ZQ
Drool material. :eagerness:
Joe, that was the shop the OP got it from, he wrote in his post: "I sort of stumbled on to this particular Artist Award model after finding a Youtube video from...MusicStoreLive.com. I really loved the sounds of it on their video and I checked and they happened to have one."
Ralf

Reaction score
Joe, that was the shop the OP got it from, he wrote in his post: "I sort of stumbled on to this particular Artist Award model after finding a Youtube video from...MusicStoreLive.com. I really loved the sounds of it on their video and I checked and they happened to have one."
Ralf

Yes Ralf that's exactly right. The video Joe posted is the one that got me interested in the guitar. I was aware of AAs and knew how much people raved about them, but I had never played one. I've probably watched that video 20 times, especially when I was waiting for the guitar to arrive.

About 1/2 hour ago I happened to get a call from Andy from musicstorelive.come checking in to be sure I liked the guitar etc. He probably almost regretted calling as I bent his ear for a long time at how great it is! I also told him how much I appreciate their policy of free shipping both ways (if you want to return it) and how it made taking a gamble on the guitar a no-brainer for me. What a great gamble it was!

I want to thank you all for the very nice replies to my first post. It's a great feeling to feel so welcomed! I will try and see if I can post pics. But the pics in Ralf's post about NAMM, and the guitar in the video, look exactly like mine.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Wow, a lot of people "build up" to the top of the line, but you went straight for it! Well done!