Guild d4 NT information

blankletmusic

Reaction score
The Guild D4 I have has an ebony headstock with the Guild logo in gold letters with sides and back that are quite a bit darker than normally found on a D4. The serial
number (CF 006738) dates to 1994. I've called Guild customer service but they cannot explain the ebony headstock and the darker finish on the back and sides.
They suggested that it might have been a special run.

Anyone have any information regarding this?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I'm not surprised that Guild customer service was unable to help. Many of the records the would need to answer have been lost, destroyed, misplaced, not transferred to the next owner, or were never created and archived in the first place. Pics would help if only because what you describe could be the result of age or neglect (unlikely but possible). That said my guess is also that it was a special run for a retail operation. Hans Moust will have more information, I'm sure.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The Guild D4 I have has an ebony headstock with the Guild logo in gold letters with sides and back that are quite a bit darker than normally found on a D4. The serial
number (CF 006738) dates to 1994. I've called Guild customer service but they cannot explain the ebony headstock and the darker finish on the back and sides. They suggested that it might have been a special run.

Hello blankletmusic,

Welcome! Does your D4 look like the one in this photo collage?

D4NT.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
WELCOME TO LTG!
First post and right off the bat you're in good Hans (pun intended).
Stick around and tell us more about yourself and post a pic or three of your Guild. We love pics here.

Joe

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yes, Hans, just like the picture.

OK, that's what I suspected. What you have is a regular D-4 with features that were standard during that particular period.
The headstock does not have an ebony overlay; it is simply sprayed black. The tinted mahogany back, sides and neck were at some point standard as well, but specs did change from year to year and I can understand why that would be confusing.
By the way, your D4 is from the year 1993 and not from 1994, but that's a minor detail.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

blankletmusic

Reaction score
Guild D4

OK, that's what I suspected. What you have is a regular D-4 with features that were standard during that particular period.
The headstock does not have an ebony overlay; it is simply sprayed black. The tinted mahogany back, sides and neck were at some point standard as well, but specs did change from year to year and I can understand why that would be confusing.
By the way, your D4 is from the year 1993 and not from 1994, but that's a minor detail.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thank you very much for the information. Do you know if the sides are mahogany and the back mahogany laminate like the other D4s made in that era?

Sal

Reaction score
Nice! That tinted mahogany is a beautiful shade of brown.

blankletmusic

Reaction score
Yes, it's really very aesthetically pleasing. These guitars are quite reasonably priced used with very good playability and tone.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! That D-4 is a very nice looking (and sounding I assume) guitar!
Ralf