Tele Plus Deluxe 90's

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
very much both a trick and a treat is this 90's tele plus deluxe...procured one in time capsule condition, in the halloween trade of a lifetime! some crappy pictures for now, just to get the idea. also pictured is a NOS dual red-hot lace sensor pickup for it, complete with manual & wiring diagram (from a different source).

The guitar is serial numbered early 1990. it has a "2" stamp indicating factory seconds. There is an extremely minor finish imperfection, which is what the "2" typically represents, however there is also a Fender factory LSR roller nut & Wilkinson adapter on it (part # 099-0812-000). The LSR, without the adapter, did not come along until 92 or 93 on the strat, so it is unclear when exactly this one left the factory (one could speculate way too long, and there are endless scenarios...the tele plus deluxe in iteslf is just so uncommon, it is impossible to truly investigate). The nut looks original to the instrument, and the whole guitar looks near new. No tarnish or anything, just some signs of life on the pickguard (and signs of a rather short life, at that).

The case is original and also near mint. no paperwork, which may also be a result of the "2" designation, or the potential saga that led to same...

I could go on and on about the Wilkinson vs. LSR roller nut. I choose not to. There are actually 2 Wilkinsons, and then the LSR- both with, and without, the adapter. and in essencse we are really talking about strats, not teles when we delve into the info...the tele plus *deluxe* quite simply is really uncommon, and anything is possible there as far as the roller nut.

The NOS pickup is from a different source, I got that a while back, but it is for this exact guitar. The pickup is date stamped 03-08-96, and there is a 50th anniversary sticker on the top of its display box. The manual and diagram for the pickup is dated 1992. The mounting ring was removed from the package, but the springs and screws are still there. it is all brand new! amazing!

I hope some of you find this nearly as interesting as me. I'm not about to join any more online forums, and had to share this somewhere!

also that is a shadow on the neck from the neck stand, the neck is flawless.

the guitar is just unreal. smokes everything. even a tele plus (no deluxe) would be just as powerful (only difference is no trem, no roller nut at all, and no locking tuners)

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
BgzGJL.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Uo52RC.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
So, you just traded for this ? It does look very much new. I am normally more of a Strat guy, but that one sounds like an interesting guitar.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
So, you just traded for this ? It does look very much new. I am normally more of a Strat guy, but that one sounds like an interesting guitar.

are you familiar with the "Strat Plus" or "Strat Plus Deluxe" or "Strat Ultra?" I know less about those and more about the tele's, which are much less common. Rosewood fretboards and the "firestorm" finish are a big deal on these as well. various bursts and other finishes are sought after too, and some have black pickguards. Michael Houser from Widespread Panic (RIP) brought these to the spotlight- he had a Tele plus *deluxe* in firestorm red with a rosewood fretboard, the rarest configuration of all. Fender made him 2 identical backups a few years later, and he had a couple other clones and similar teles. Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead played the non-deluxe tele plus as well (maple fretboard).

mine smokes. the Strat Plus with the same pickups does sound similar, but strats are not for me. this thing is killer.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Nice! As an Andy Summers fan, I like the look of that guitar!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
are you familiar with the "Strat Plus" or "Strat Plus Deluxe" or "Strat Ultra?" I know less about those and more about the tele's, which are much less common. Rosewood fretboards and the "firestorm" finish are a big deal on these as well. various bursts and other finishes are sought after too, and some have black pickguards. Michael Houser from Widespread Panic (RIP) brought these to the spotlight- he had a Tele plus *deluxe* in firestorm red with a rosewood fretboard, the rarest configuration of all. Fender made him 2 identical backups a few years later, and he had a couple other clones and similar teles. Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead played the non-deluxe tele plus as well (maple fretboard).

mine smokes. the Strat Plus with the same pickups does sound similar, but strats are not for me. this thing is killer.

Nice Grab Mav! That is the first Tele Plus Deluxe I have seen. Some of the deluxes from that time period had the Wilkinson roller nut from the factory but I don't remember the LSR style coming out until the Mid to late 90's. You can always pull the neck to verify the dates. Should be in pencil on the every end. I own 3 1987 American Standard 1st year Strats right now among other strats, I sold my Strat plus with the Lace sensors and locking tuners. I like the Standards better, At least for 1987 anyway. I don't know what it is about the E4 serial number Strats but they feel and play out of this world. They also have the Factory Swimming Pool route in the body so you can put whatever pickups you want to in them. I just recently ordered a Loaded pickguard for my Sunburst 87 Strat with Rosewood Fretboard that has 3 TV Jones Filtertrons in it, TV Classics in the Neck and middle and TV Classic Plus in the bridge with 7 way switching. Can't wait for it to get here! LOL. Congrats on nice and rare Tele!

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice Grab Mav! That is the first Tele Plus Deluxe I have seen. Some of the deluxes from that time period had the Wilkinson roller nut from the factory but I don't remember the LSR style coming out until the Mid to late 90's. You can always pull the neck to verify the dates. Should be in pencil on the every end...Congrats on nice and rare Tele!

Thanks Tex. From what I gather the LSR roller nut debuted on the strat in late 92 or early 93. But it was a replacement part previous to that. There were 2 wilkinsons, some of them had some issues, especially the first version, which led to the LSR. My neck/fretboard was definitely intended for the wilkinson nut, which is why it has the adapter. Mine is an early 1990 and would have had the early wilkinson roller nut, but it also has a seconds stamp and what appears to be an original LSR with adapter (the Fender part number I listed above). As for the neck pocket and date stamp on the heel, the neck has never been removed and I'm not anywhere close to removing it right now. It will likely be dated 1990, possibly 89 or 91. The nut and the 2nd stamp are more the mystical features...This guitar definitely has a story but I'll never really know it. I can say I have had amazing luck with other guitars that were 2nd/b-stock and/or those that had work done to the nut or a new nut installed. In all cases the guitars were basically brand new and well underpriced. So I am just going with it. Thanks for the cheers! Killer on the strats! Sounds like u had a plus deluxe made around the same time as mine. Mikey Houser is really most of the whole reason I play guitar. It's not identical to his, but it is a deluxe and it's really a time capsule find. I can't believe I own one. I didn't believe it was really happening I was just trying to unload something else and "traded up" w some cash. Figured id just flip it w the pup as I'm not Mikey, and found my own sound while searching for his, and need to get my initial investment back....but this thing is just insane. I'm not selling it anytime soon. I will be trading and selling off other things though. Possibly a Guild or 2 here.

Last edited:

jcwu

Reaction score
When I see these, I immediately think Radiohead and their fat heavy distortion tones!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Tex. From what I gather the LSR roller nut debuted on the strat in late 92 or early 93. But it was a replacement part previous to that. There were 2 wilkinsons, some of them had some issues, especially the first version, which led to the LSR.

I remember those "Wilkinson" roller nuts. They looked like they had teeth pointing towards the frets. Never really cared much for them. The LSR is the way to go if a roller nut is your thing. That is a Cool Tele for sure. It's amazing the things that just fall into your lap from time to time. Congrats my Friend an enjoy it! If you do think about selling it later on hit me up, Depending on price and timing I may be interested in it. Have fun with it and I will let you know when my 3 TV Jones conversion gets here for my 87 Strat. Should be later this week, I'll have to send you some pics when I get it together.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I still have the Strat Plus Deluxe I bought the month after my oldest was born. Not really a strat guy, but it was the nicest guitar I had for a long time.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
... I will let you know when my 3 TV Jones conversion gets here for my 87 Strat. Should be later this week, I'll have to send you some pics when I get it together.

please do! may as well start a heavy strat thread here. from the sounds of it, you have some serious hardware! i know at least a few other LTG members play strats in a serious way too.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I still have the Strat Plus Deluxe I bought the month after my oldest was born. Not really a strat guy, but it was the nicest guitar I had for a long time.

nice what month was that? what millenium? i read the strat plus has 3 gold lace sensor pickups, and the strat plus deluxe has red-white-blue lace sensors. Then the strat ultra had the same bridge pickup as the tele plus (dual red hot) plus there was a 5-way switch on the ultra (that the tele did not have), in addition to the mini switch...so u have a plus deluxe strat? they are getting more popular

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
please do! may as well start a heavy strat thread here. from the sounds of it, you have some serious hardware! i know at least a few other LTG members play strats in a serious way too.

I have sold a few over the last couple of years but still have 6 of them. I fell in love with the 87 E4 serial numbered American Standard Strats so I have 3 of those. One black with a RW Fret board and Custom Shop Abby Signed 69 pickups in it, One Gunmetal with Maple Fretboard all original, and my Sunburst RW Fretboard that is mint and will be getting the 3 TV jones Pickups this week. I have 2 American Vintage Reissues, a 56 ash and a 59. Last one is a custom Lacewood body Warmoth Build with a Hard V Birdseye maple neck and Kinman Noiseless pickups in it. I had an American Vintage Reissue 65 but couldn't get used to the Laminated RW Fretboard and neck profile so it sold a couple of months back. Strats are my All time favorite solid body electrics. I like my Guild Semi-hollow guitars but nothing feels like a god strat!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The pick guard arrived today ready to install. I will install it in the morning. Until then here are some pics. Tv Jones Classics in the Neck and Middle position and a TV Jones Classic Plus in the bridge position. Standard 5 way Strat switching with a Push/pull tone pot. With the pot engaged it turns the Neck pickup on continuously so you can run Neck + Bridge or all three at once. Pretty Cool, I can't wait to hear it!

NY3OpZ.jpg
RApzXL.jpg

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Well Here it is, It sounds Amazing! Everything from Thick and Bold to Strat Quack to Twang, Add a little Overdrive and the tones are limitless! I know what I am doing for the next week, Figuring out all the tones! Here are some pics.

bVVbA4.jpg
ogTCJy.jpg
prjBMA.jpg

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
tex that thing looks killer!! bet it sounds just nasty. nice work!

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nasty would be a good word to describe it Mav, I have no paint left on my walls after last night's test session!:eek:nthego:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Sweet S100! What model TV Jones pickups did you have in it? I'm Loving mine right now. :single_eye: