Neil Young is 70 today

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
He and Bob Dylan were my main influencers why I started playing guitar as a kid.
Unbelievable how time goes by...
Neil Young looked pretty "young" in 1965:

NY1965-2.jpg

Photo copyright Manfred Buchheit

Ralf

Last edited:

merlin6666

Reaction score
He and Bob Dylan were my main influencers why I started playing guitar as a kid.
Unbelievable how time goes by...
Neil Young looked pretty "young" in 1965:

NY1965-2.jpg

Ralf

Nice, and that looks like a Guild too ... wonder what he sounded like in those days before he used the Martin D28 and D45.

Ronald Reagan

Reaction score
the thing i like best about neil young is that david geffen sued him for not being neil young. geffen was right, but dropped the lawsuit and apologized.

seriously, his music is all over the place, isn't it? interesting musician to say the least....

bobouz

Reaction score
Let's see, in 1965 I was fourteen years old, growing up in the L.A. area.

Discovered Buffalo Springfield pretty early on, and liked Young & Stills work a lot.
Liked some of Neil's efforts after that, but not all that much of it really.

Have to say though, his good stuff has always been interesting and appreciated.

richardp69

Enlightened Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Love his stuff as well. I wasn't aware of all the health challenges he's had to take on over the years, makes his accomplishments even more impressive I would say. They make them Canadians pretty tough, eh?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Let's see, in 1965 I was fourteen years old, growing up in the L.A. area.
Is that you in Riot on Sunset Strip? :friendly_wink:
I was only 9 in '65 but I used to spend summers with my grandparents who lived in N. Hollywood, fairly safely removed from all those corrupting influences.

Discovered Buffalo Springfield pretty early on, and liked Young & Stills work a lot.
Liked some of Neil's efforts after that, but not all that much of it really.
Have to say though, his good stuff has always been interesting and appreciated.
MR Soul and Bluebird, my 2 favorites, but his first solo album didn't do much for me, I liked the hard rock on Everybody Knows this is Nowhere much better.
I'm also reminded of an anecdote in the Sound City Studios documentary, somebody reminiscing about Neil pulling up in a Cadillac trailing clouds of exhaust smoke and reeking of grass, and not even having a driver's license yet. :biggrin-new:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy birthday Neil! I share his birthday, along with Booker T Jones, and Tonya Harding!

Zelja

Reaction score
Happy Birthday Sandy!

Love a lot of Neil's work, from the acoustic folky stuff to the proto-grunge stuff & lots of stops in between. I like the way he throws himself into his electric guitar playing, stomping those spider legs on the stage & doing a bit of head-banging. Not the most technical player but I dig it.

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
Happy Birthday Sandy!

Love a lot of Neil's work, from the acoustic folky stuff to the proto-grunge stuff & lots of stops in between. I like the way he throws himself into his electric guitar playing, stomping those spider legs on the stage & doing a bit of head-banging. Not the most technical player but I dig it.

Thanks Zelko! I agree about Neil not being the most technical player, but he sure knows how to get it across.