NGD: Gloppy, the Totally Abused D-35

krugjr

Reaction score
did she "inspire" that song of yours, or was the song already written before "the project"?

I join with the others...great over all idea and great job!

Neal

Reaction score
So, I play on Mondays in a bar in which the master of ceremonies comes up with a different song prompt each week. This week's prompt was James Bond, so I wrote a song about what happens when the actor is too old to play the part.

It's called Whatever Happened to 007?

Neal

LateStart

Reaction score
I continue to be surprised how many sub-$500 D35's are floating around CL and garage sales in crappy condition or needing neck resets. In addition to 3 D35's, I have a D25 in black. Probably will only keep one once all the loving is done to make them playable.

Neal

Reaction score
Yeah, the two you acquired are especially snotless. The bridge on that sunburst was just priceless.

How are those projects going?

Neal

LateStart

Reaction score
#3 lost her neck about 2 months ago. I was timid with the sanding, but I will got back at it. I have a luthier friend who is going to help me set the new neck angle and re-glue the neck. Neck came off clean, but I have some collateral damage to the finish, so a good candidate for re-finishing.
#2 needs cracks cleated and sanding and the fretboard is a mess. May take that for a re-fretting and leveling - need to get an estimate. Things are expensive in NorCal. I was quoted $700 for a neck reset - yikes~!

I want to French Polish both, but was not feeling up for the work - but as I said, your project has been inspiring. Can you post a picture of your sander? And where did you get the supplies for French Polish.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd get a project guild myself after reading Neil's thread . I just found on reverb d25 299.00 pages past it not knowing anything the model then dicide to go back to it .. Gone ! Completely disappeared in like a minute now I wonder if I really seen it at all ! It's to early more coffee is needed .

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I figured I'd get a project guild myself after reading Neil's thread . I just found on reverb d25 299.00 pages past it not knowing anything the model then dicide to go back to it .. Gone ! Completely disappeared in like a minute now I wonder if I really seen it at all ! It's to early more coffee is needed .

Ok I goofed it's called. A25 whatever that is ? The head stock looks to have been totally broken off .

Neal

Reaction score
The A-25 was made in the late '90's. Mahogany and sitka orchestra-sized, with the elusive 1 3/4 nut. Cousin to the A-50, the rosewood version of the same guitar.

Gloppy just sat there on the Bay for the full auction period with exactly one bid. Mine.

I could see from the photos that, other than the cracks, the D-35 was a pretty good bet struturally. I could have gotten screwed. Luck plays a part.

LateStart, I didn't actually "French Polish" it. All I did was go to the local hardware store, grab a small tin of pre-mixed amber shellac, and thinnd it down with ethanol I use for a fireplace burner at about a 50/50 ratio.

So thicker than a "wash coat" but thinner than the full-strength application the can called for.

Might do another coat this weekend. Or not. I'm pretty happy with the state of affairs right now.

Last edited:

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I am waaaaay late to this party, Neal, due to being out of town on business for the past week, but let me just say WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am impressed, jealous, ecstatic, and the list goes on!! She is beautiful sir! That hog back is something else..

Let me just say that I knew this thing could be a player from day one.. It just needed the love you gave it. Congratulations, sir.. Well done :applouse:

Neal

Reaction score
I'm thinking of starting what, for me, would be a fourth career.

I'd buy all the crapped out, trashed, abused, but salvageable decent-quality guitars on eBay, love them all up, and sell them on a website called "Second Chance Guitars", complete with before and after photos for customers to enjoy.

It would make zero money, but it would be fun.

Neal

Neal

Reaction score
Shoot. Just Googled it. Some guy in Hollywood already has a site called 2nd Chance Guitars, based on the same idea...

But I think "Second Chance Guitars" is still available as a domain name!

Neal

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm thinking of starting what, for me, would be a fourth career.

I'd buy all the crapped out, trashed, abused, but salvageable decent-quality guitars on eBay, love them all up, and sell them on a website called "Second Chance Guitars", complete with before and after photos for customers to enjoy.

It would make zero money, but it would be fun.

Neal

Maybe slim in the margins, but I like the overall idea.. Maybe look at it like a "Guitar Rescue" biz... It would be tough to come up with a price point that would reflect your time as each guit would vary in work needed. Whether for a few extra bucks or for the glory of saying you brought some great guitars back from the dead, it is a great idea!! You are off to an excellent start with the D-35..

If "second chance guitars" is still available grab it!!

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Things are expensive in NorCal.
Boy howdy. (extreme agreement)
I was quoted $700 for a neck reset - yikes~!
If it included a fret job that's actually very good. (I'm in San Jose and have paid $300.00 for a complete refret on my D25 including bone nut/saddle and set-up for GOOD, no, make that EXCELLENT work.) Frank Ford recommends it as part of a reset since fretboard may undergo some subtle changes during the reset, and it's going to have to be set-up again anyway, so might as well start with a good board too.

and I want to French Polish both, but was not feeling up for the work - but as I said, your project has been inspiring. Can you post a picture of your sander? And where did you get the supplies for French Polish.
You're right it's pretty labor intensive to do a "real" French Polish but materials are readily available like Neal says, but I think he meant diluted in methanol (wood alcohol) as opposed to ethanol.
It's probably cheaper but you can't drink it.
Here's a "how to" link from a supply house, with lots of helpful tips. Last I heard they also offer spray cans of NCL if you decide to go that route:
http://www.stewmac.com/How-To/Onlin...olish_for_a_fast_finish_without_spraying.html

Last edited: