Noobie with 80's Guild shredder

Telechamp

Reaction score
Ah, so now you know what model it is, but you've been sworn to secrecy! :wink:

Actually, no. I still don't know what model it is. Hans hasn't told me yet! I'll respect his wishes though, with his new book coming out. Maybe he wants to "reveal" the model type then.. ??

Meanwhile, here's a pic "under the hood"..

Guild_DSCN1052PB.jpg

Last edited:

Telechamp

Reaction score
Kurt,
so isn't the OP's white guitar the same model that Hans bought in 2008? Where he said: "It's not unique but it's pretty rare."

8b15_12.jpg

Hans won't help us here until Volume II comes out I am afraid...
And Hans said back in 2008 it is a "*ator" model, so not a Flyer. But not a "Detonator" either (he said 5 letters out of "Pointyator" are correct). What's left: "Aviator", "Liberator". I can't remember more "*ator" models. The Liberator however had a glued on neck...as well as the Aviator. And we look for a bolt on neck. So the riddle continues...

Ralf

This one looks very similar to mine...

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just want to add the bolt on neck is not so crazy, have seen early S-300s that had the same thing.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Just want to add the bolt on neck is not so crazy, have seen early S-300s that had the same thing.
Well the Detonator and T-250 had a maple bolt-on neck at the same time as the Liberators. So that's not really an issue.

As to my theory of the Liberator I. Well although there was a Liberator II, there never was a Liberator I. However, there was a Liberator. (No Roman numeral).

But the literature says it had a "Glued-in Mahogany Neck", so that blows that theory!

So now I'd like to float another theory!

How many of you have ever heard of a Thunderbolt?

It was the forerunner of the Detonator.

Here it is in a Price List: (Upper right)

photo093_zpsuu0issbt.jpg

Notice how a bolt-on neck with the offset headstock already existed on the T-250!

Here's a closer look at the photo and description:

photo092_zpsi1bmv2rq.jpg

Now this is clearly the Detonator body with the "fatter" horns. But what if Guild slimmed down the body to the Liberator shape and bolted on a T-250 neck?

Hmmm, Thunderbolt (With five matching letters!)

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Thunderbolt (With five matching letters!)
I have the same pricelist but didn't think about anything else than a "ator". That is certainly a great new point of view! And Hans is probably laughing again! Yes, 5 out of 10 in Pointyator! Match. But I have a feeling it is still to early to celebrate...Out of curiosity, my question to the OP also was what is written/stamped on the back of the headstock, I see something like XX 101 below the high e-string tuner which seems to be a different size and font than the serial number and we also don't know yet what kind of 2 letter serial number is on the neck. Well, I am not even sure how you would identify if the neck is the neck that was on the body when it left the factory, would there be a serial number or anything in the neck pocket on the body? Because as it sounds those guitars didn't get a label in one of the back plates? Or below one of the pickups? Not that I think that neck doesn't belong there, I am just wondering in general here.
Ralf

Telechamp

Reaction score
I have the same pricelist but didn't think about anything else than a "ator". That is certainly a great new point of view! And Hans is probably laughing again! Yes, 5 out of 10 in Pointyator! Match. But I have a feeling it is still to early to celebrate...Out of curiosity, my question to the OP also was what is written/stamped on the back of the headstock, I see something like XX 101 below the high e-string tuner which seems to be a different size and font than the serial number and we also don't know yet what kind of 2 letter serial number is on the neck. Well, I am not even sure how you would identify if the neck is the neck that was on the body when it left the factory, would there be a serial number or anything in the neck pocket on the body? Because as it sounds those guitars didn't get a label in one of the back plates? Or below one of the pickups? Not that I think that neck doesn't belong there, I am just wondering in general here.
Ralf

I'm not sure what you're referring to by the "XX 101" (??) written/stamped on the back of the headstock, but I'll go take it out of the case later tonight and see what's up..

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm not sure what you're referring to by the "XX 101" (??) written/stamped on the back of the headstock, but I'll go take it out of the case later tonight and see what's up..
Well, there is a serial number obviously that starts with two letters. One question was what are the two letters that the serial number starts with.
Second question was that I think I can see there is something printed in larger letters before the serial number (under the high e-string and b string tuner) and I think I see a "101" and two other letters before (the XX was just the generic for any two letters). It's hard to see on the picture and I was just curious what that could be.

EDIT: I think I misread the picture initially and confused you with my two questions... It might be simply "Made in USA" under the D and G string tuners what I thought might be the serial number?
So what I saw with 101 are actually the first three numbers of the serial number followed by 3 more numbers that I don't see. And before the 101 it might be "HC" or something? HC was the two letter combination for the S-280 and S-281 model...But probably also for the still unknown model you have.

Ralf

Last edited:

Telechamp

Reaction score
Well, there is a serial number obviously that starts with two letters. One question was what are the two letters that the serial number starts with.
Second question was that I think I can see there is something printed in larger letters before the serial number (under the high e-string and b string tuner) and I think I see a "101" and two other letters before (the XX was just the generic for any two letters). It's hard to see on the picture and I was just curious what that could be.

EDIT: I think I misread the picture initially and confused you with my two questions... It might be simply "Made in USA" under the D and G string tuners what I thought might be the serial number?
So what I saw with 101 are actually the first three numbers of the serial number followed by 3 more numbers that I don't see. And before the 101 it might be "HC" or something? HC was the two letter combination for the S-280 and S-281 model...But probably also for the still unknown model you have.

Ralf

Sorry Ralf, been kind of busy the last couple days. Will take the guitar out of the case today and try to see what you're referring to on the back of the headstock..

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What ever it turns out to be, I think it looks pretty cool, Sort of understated, but I like that sort of thing.

Telechamp

Reaction score

Ralf

Well, I looked at the guitar and the only thing that is on the back of the headstock is the serial number (oddly partially obscured by the tuning keys, but I can still read it), and the "Made In USA" stamp.

Also, I forgot to mention that I took the guitar in to my guitar tech a while back to see if he could identify what model it is (he couldn't, either), but he took a close look at the pickups, and told me that the bridge is an active EMG-81 (which I knew already), but that the middle and neck single coils were unknown "EMG copies" (not real EMG's). I had always assumed that they were actual EMG's as well, not clones.. Interesting...

Guild_DSCN3713pb.jpg

Guild_DSCN3696pb-1.jpg

Last edited:

Telechamp

Reaction score
What ever it turns out to be, I think it looks pretty cool, Sort of understated, but I like that sort of thing.

Thanks, John. Yes, I love the body contour. Very sleek-looking..

Telechamp

Reaction score
Hey guys - It's me again.. Well, it is now the middle of 2017, and I still haven't figured out which model this 80's Guild shredder is... !! :05.18-flustered:

Does anyone know if Hans' new book has come out yet?.. I think he planned to reveal this obscure model in the new book, if I'm not mistaken..

PxR14w0.jpg

Bu51KzV.jpg

EPMciqg.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
New book has not been released, but if you're looking to sell it I'd be interested.

Telechamp

Reaction score
Well, I might be, Gad, but right now I have no idea at all what it's worth.. It's evidently such a unique model that I can't find any info on its value..

I was hoping Hans' book would be out by now, so he could release some information about it..

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I might be, Gad, but right now I have no idea at all what it's worth.. It's evidently such a unique model that I can't find any info on its value..

I was hoping Hans' book would be out by now, so he could release some information about it..

Fifty bucks. It's worth fifty bucks.

I pay cash! :smug:

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Ok, I broke out Gruhn book. The possibilities are (eliminating the known mismatches):
Detonator II - only made in '88, EMG pups, Floyd Rose
Liberator (no I, not II) - 87-88, Dimarzios, Guild/Mueller

There are also 3 X models listed with no specs available, which would be in keeping with a rarity, although they seem to be more in keeping with the other pointy X- guitars. All from '83: X-84V, X-97V, X-108V - bolt-ons, Guild or Kahler trem.

EDIT: Eliminate the Liberator, which is listed as set neck. With Kahler instead of Floyd, that leaves the mysterious X-models.

Last edited: