Ngd 1974 s-100

hessodreamy

Reaction score
I've been scouting around for something similar for a while and just scored this baby on eBay, got it shipped over the other day and now I wanted to brag about it & ask some questions.
Here she is. What colour is that? Is it natural? Pretty sexy, anyway. It's actually a bit more beat up than that picture suggests, but it hides it well.

IMG_1608.jpg

The pickup pole pieces are kinda rusty. Will that affect the sound? Is it worth taking them out (or raising them loads) and getting some wire wool on them? Also the wound strings sound a little dead, kinda like old strings (though they're new), and even when unplugged. Is this normal? Maybe the bridge saddles need some filing or re-cutting? Some of the other roller saddles don't roll. Should they? Should I get some oil in there?

IMG_1593.jpg

The tailpiece seems a bit butchered. That's not normal is it?

IMG_1594.jpg

Perhaps it's something to do with this crazy string alignment:

IMG_1606.jpg

I've re-aligned the strings but as it stands I'm not sure where the original holes were. Not that it matters.

It looks like the nut and fret board have had some repairs. Not terribly good ones:

IMG_1595.jpg

IMG_1598.jpg

Serial number, I believe, dates it to 1974

IMG_1602.jpg

Sound-wise, it's great. REALLY bright, so it takes some taming. But I like my humbuckers bright and chimey. I'd like a bit more brightness out of the neck but I'll work on the setup. Almost sounds like single coils sometimes.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
hessodreamy said:
What colour is that? Is it natural?

IMG_1594.jpg

Hello hessodreamy,

Looks great! It is a little darker in color than the average 'Nature Boy' finish, but I still think it could be that!

Nothing written on the label, on the inside of the back panel?

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to the vintage S-100 club hessodreamy. Congrats on the nice score. Sure looks like it could be a cherry finish to me.

hagmeat

Reaction score
Congratulations Mate. S100 action is always welcome around here.
A good luthier should be able to correct those problems and give it a good set up. Enjoy !
Cheers
Rob

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looks pretty good, to me. It's 41 years old, after all. Should clean up nicely.

Qvart

Reaction score
Looks darker than NB, but not quite walnut. Those are the two options. Like Hans, said...remove the control cavity cover on the back and check the label.

Welcome to the "Go Vintage!" club!

Smitch

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
Great axe! Like Rob said, if you have a good luthier/set up guy, he should have it rumbling in no time. Congrats!