Considering a new S-100

Okieguildfan

Reaction score
I've been thinking about moving over into Guild electrics, but I've never been able to get my hands on one (new, used, or vintage). Elderly has a used 2012 S-100 for $585. Seems to be in good condition.

I don't play electric much, but I'd like something different than my current/cheap Ibanez AS73.

Thoughts? Good deal? Recommendations?

**Sorry post says new but I mean new-to-me**

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
If I were to get a Newark St model, I'd go with a 2015. The pickups are improved and there are more colors to choose from. I haven't played one, but the folks around here seems to like them as far as fit and finish go. Good luck in your search.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
If you can find one, I think the 90s reissues play the best. Again, I haven't played a Newark St, but I'm sure someone here has played a 90s and a NS.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, the value and the tremendous sound come from the 70's versions, and I'm a VERY big fan. But I would recommend playing one before you plop down big money. The reason I say that is the nut width is a little narrow, and the necks are a little thin for a lot of guitar players (but I love them). Another reason is that the early 70's versions had a neck angle that is parallel to the body. If you're used to the feel of a gibson, where the next is angled back a little, you might not care for the early 70's versions. Also, this configuration means that some of the guitars have bottomed out bridges (where you can't lower the bridge anymore, but the action is still a little high).

In my opinion, the "magic" years were '76 and '77. On those, the neck is swept back, the bridge is nice and high and the string tension is improved.

The 90's versions are great guitars, and the necks are usually a little beefier. Most of them came stock with a set of Duncans. they are great pickups, but they have more of a mid-range quack to them, and really disappear with the tone controls rolled down.

I'm sorry to say it but the first reissues from a couple of years ago were crap. the body does not feel resonant and the mini-humbuckers were fouled up. the neck version sounded pretty good, but the bridge mini-humbucker was piercing and thin. It might be the worst sounding guild I've ever played.

But the NEWEST-newest ones took the good fit and finish and added color options and a re-issue of the 70's HB-1 pickups. It's been driving me crazy that I have not had a chance to play one of these guitars. but I bet it's the closest thing you'll come to the "classic" S-100. Add together the fairly generous return policies most sellers have, the inclusions of a lifetime warranty, and the money you save vs going vintage, and this is what I would buy as my first guild solid body.

Last edited:

Zelja

Reaction score
But the NEWEST-newest ones took the good fit and finish and added color options and a re-issue of the 70's HB-1 pickups.
Hey Kent. Do you know if the neck geometry of these reissues is modeled on the early 70s, late 70s or 90s S100s? I know the tailpieces are further from the bridge like the early 70s guitars but was wondering about the neck.

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
The spec's on the new S-100's list a nut width of 1 11/16ths, 12" fretboard radius, med jumbo frets and a vintage soft "U" profile. If accurate, that would not add up to a narrow, thin neck. I would definately go for a new NS Polara because of the HB-1's. Great sounding pu's.

Last edited:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hey Kent. Do you know if the neck geometry of these reissues is modeled on the early 70s, late 70s or 90s S100s? I know the tailpieces are further from the bridge like the early 70s guitars but was wondering about the neck.

The 2013 model I played had a neck that was more like the late 90s version. I think most players prefer a 1 11/16 nut, so this was a good call. In fact, back during the "dark years" a number of people would seek out 90s S-100s and re-rout the pickup cavities to put in vintage HB-1 pickups.

So the latest version now has a reissued version of the most popular pickups, has the most popular neck profile, and has (what I think are) the two best colors (black and white). So they're perfect, right? Well, no. They are still missing the phase switch! This is an essential feature of the 70's version, and I had hoped it would appear in the latest design.

EDIT: also, as far as I know, only the late 70s versions have a tilted-back neck angle, so if you're a Gibson guy, and that element is your highest priority, you just have to wait until you see one pop up, which happens about once every year or two.

Last edited:

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Ha! I didn't realize I was replying to Zelja! Zelja, you were one of the guys I was thinking of - isn't your 96 equipped with vintage HB1s?

Zelja

Reaction score
Yes Kent - that guitar was transformed from a standard black S100 to a white DeLuxe with the addition of HB-1s and a Guildsby. I actually never heard it with the original pickups as all the work was done by Fixit in the US before I received the guitar here in Oz. I might have to try it with the original pickups just to see if it's another flavour I could use (already having 3 other HB-1 equipped S-100s).

If the re-issue HB-1s are up to scratch them the NS S-100s seem very worth of consideration. The phase switch is a bummer for us die-hards but maybe not for new adopters. I do find it useful but still would use it far less than the other 3 standard options.

BTW, I still use the black '77 I bought from you the most as that does have the widest neck of all my vintage S100s.

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I play around with the phase switch. I hope the next incarnation includes it. Maybe the plan on reissues is: early 70s, mid - late 70s. That would be a cool idea and have something for everyone. I'd like to see the deluxe model re-introduced, as well.

Qvart

Reaction score
Go vintage!

Not that the '90's reissues and the MIK aren't good, but I always recommend vintage S-100's with HB-1's. There are differences in design pre-'75 and '75/post'75. If you're up for road testing, go '70's and don't look back. Or get a Starfire IV.

TVeye

Reaction score
Let's not forget the S300. Same neck angle as the late 70's S100 and available or replaceable with HB1's, with a phase switch.
My '96 S100 has vintage HB1's and is now a great guitar, I don't use it much as I prefer the smaller neck.

Maxer

Reaction score
Makes me wonder... everyone is always recommending the original 70s S100S - so how are the latest batch of S100s selling? Is Guild privately regretting that reissue? How is the rest of the Newark line selling?

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
IMO, the change to the fullsize HB-1 pu's was a huge improvement and really makes the NS S-100 aguitar I'd love to own. A wimpy bridge pu in a solidbody is a deal breaker for me.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I was going to buy a NS Starfire ST, I would budget for a pair of replacement HB-1s. That would be a smoking combination, since it doesn't look like they are fixing the bridge minibucker.

TVeye

Reaction score
The 2015 model didn't get the full size PU replacement?