Anyone remember Heathkit?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Inspired by Frono's question in Opsimath's "Ham Radio?" thread:
Makes me wonder what a "Heathkit" thread would attract?
Wiki link:
Heathkit
You must recall it's come up briefly before.
Of probable interest here as well would be guitar amps and audiophile quality amplifier systems and speaker kits with designs licensed from legendary Acoustic Research.
Prior to all that they made their name in Ham and testing gear for same, selling kits through mail order.
Even had a color televison kit which also rivalled anything you could buy retail.
Thousands of electronics enthusiasts loved the challenge, productive recreation, and sense of accomplishment attained from building Heathkits.
Lot of cold winter months in basements and garages spent with 'em.
Designs were respected industry-wide and the warranty was:
"If you built it correctly and it doesn't work we'll fix it for free".
And you could buy educational courses in soldering and electronics theory and build your own oscilloscope to test and fix it yourself if so inclined.
Steve Jobs got his start with Heathkits.
I worked an assistant manager in one of their retail stores for about 5 years from '85-'90 so still have a soft spot for the brand.

I built a digital clock, which is still running
Right, what I was getting at earlier about quality of materials (and workmanship, ie proper soldering technique) over the last ten years or so compared to back then.

, an 8080 based personal computer, a terminal for it (keyboard and monitor in one housing, for you youngsters) and one or two others until they stopped being cost effective and became "put this chip in that socket" acitvities that did not feel like "building".
It was a growing complaint in the store's Owner's Group club as the industry adapted Small Outline Integrated Circuit technology and that stuff just couldn't be soldered by hand at home. Yep, later kits were largely pre-assembled circuit boards and most of the labor was chassis assembly and interconnect. There was also the factor that Zenith had bought 'em and the TV kits were based on Zenith designs, and after they acquired Heathkit's buss designs and OS intellectual properties, used that as the launching pad to mass-produce their own PC compatibles which became the building blocks of the computer kits too.
I did keep the computer running for almost 10 years until I had to adopt "IBM compatibility" to maintain domestic tranquility.
And I bet if you booted that puppy today it'd still run like a champ. I'd only worry about mechanical deterioration of disc drive or tape storage.
A couple of years back when it last came up I was surprised to see they had a new website up and it looked like they were getting back into the eductaional course business at least but link's dead now.
New online virtual museum is up though:
http://www.heathkit-museum.com/

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I had one of these as a lad. My dad and I ran a random-wire antenna out onto the roof of our porch so I could use it.

My cousin actually made it. He became a radio engineer, and as he outgrew stuff he used to mail it to me, which was pretty damn cool.

heathkit-gr-64.jpg

Last edited:

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I built a Heathkit Fuzz Pedal when I was a kid. I still have it somewhere.

Studio1525-7-13-2013-014.jpg

It picked up radio signals from all over the place!

My Father was a huge fan of Heathkit for less expensive electronic equipment.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Another Heathkit fan:
When I was in high school, the Hero One was the Heathkit of my dreams. I never knew anyone who actually made one, though.
In the store we were required to have working demos of the computers, the robots, and at least one piece each of ham, test, and home audio equipment and television, as well as an area dedicated to the educational courses.
All were built by store manager and TV tech, and I cut my teeth on some board stuffing and soldering of entry-level stuff, and chassis assembly.
We had both Hero Junior and Hero 2000.
Cute little Hero Junior had a lot of R2D2 flavor. Accessory program cartridges provided personality, one of which was loaded with quotes from 2001's HAL:
"Good Evening Dr. Chandra", and "Daisy, Daisy, give me your answer do..", and "I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."
Deeply disturbing in retrospect.
2000 was like the Terminator compared to Junior with tracks and a robotic arm accessory kit and PC Bus exapnsion slots in the back.
The boss claimed the Hero 2000 was toughest thing he'd ever built, and I don't think we ever got it finally and fully calibrated, that arm was a b---h to get right.
But it had a text-to speech synthesizer and you could make it say anything from a wireless remote controller with a built-in full size keypad and LCD display, I forget how many characters, 84 I think?.
In 1987.
I can often fix things that would otherwise cost big money to repair like TVs, Laptops, etc., or more likely have been designed to be discarded when they break (which really irritates me).
YES me too.
What I loved about Heathkits. You could get spares from 'em for years.
We were still repairing TV's built in the '60's in 1989. Only thing we couldn't get anymore for some of 'em were the actual picture tubes, and Zenith was the last domestic manufacter of CRTs standing.
I had a Zenith 27" color TV (bought with employee discount) that had a magnificent JBL stereo amp and independant line-out that lasted 22 years before the high voltage transformer finally failed.
No spares or circuit diagrams be found on web nor local TV repair either. (I couldn't have tackled that one at home although I did take a stab at salvaging the audio section)

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I built a Heathkit Fuzz Pedal when I was a kid. I still have it somewhere.

Studio1525-7-13-2013-014.jpg

It picked up radio signals from all over the place!
And if you'd really "gotten into it" you could have figured out how to shield it too!
A buddy of mine in 6th grade had a Heathkit guitar amp as well, heydey of pop music in 1967.

My Father was a huge fan of Heathkit for less expensive electronic equipment.
Right but to be clear, it wasn't because components and designs were "cheap", it was a combination of labor provided by customer and the fact that some of their stuff like oscillosopes could be had in price ranges unavailable anywhere else.
One of their last catalogs featured a cutaway drawing of a house with a Heathkit product in every room and the roof (Satellite TV Receiver, Weather station sensoprs) and garage(Engine analyzer, Smog tester) too.
There was even a Heathkit minibike kit, I think Thunderface mentioned having one before.
The guy from Benton Harbor, Michigan, Heathkit's home town, who was training me to replace him 'cause he wanted to move back home, jokingly called it the Heathkit House.
And I bet if they coulda figured out a way they would have offered a full blown house too.
:biggrin-new:

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's cool stuff! I had no idea they has stores as I'd only ever seen the catalogs.

That fuzz pedal probably has the same circuit as the one I built. Easiest damn pedals to build. I remember when I got my first Big Muff back in probably 1980. Those things were huge so I opened it up because I opened up everything to see how it worked. I thought it would be this terrifically complicated thing and that giant pedal had a tiny little board in it.

BMP_guts.jpg

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
That's cool stuff! I had no idea they has stores as I'd only ever seen the catalogs.
Happened very late in the game shortly after Zenith acquired 'em and named 'em "Heath/Zenith Computers and Electronics" .
If I recall correctly I think there were around 80 stores nationwide with concentrations in areas with heavy defense-related employment: Silicon Valley, Seattle (Boeing), Virginia Beach (US NAVY), Houston (NASA), Georgia (Martin Marietta)
They had won some US military contracts, providing fire-control computers to the re-commissioned Iowa class battleships, (Based on the Heathkit H-100 dual OS-capable bus architecture), and every cadet entering the Air Force Academy had to purchase a Zenith 286 AT for 2 or 3 years there for programming course.
The store I worked at in Silicon Valley provided about 30 PC "Tempest" machines to Lockheed's famous "Blue Cube", the satellite control headquarters on the west coast. "Tempest" meant they had no RF leakage that could be detected by unfriendly frequency monitoring ...they required special clearances just to handle, it was all export-restricted and classified technology and custody was certified every step of the way from factory to Blue Cube.
You may recall in around '80-'81 hobby computers were seen as the coming thing, then IBM sprang the PC on the business world and the train ("BUS"?) hit warp speed.
Zenith brought out one of the earliest PC compatibles (thank you Heathkit engineers) and had the closest true compatibility.
They had their own specially tailored version of MSDOS, upgraded their BIOS chips regularly, and ran Flight Simulator effortlessly without crashing.
Zenith sold the Data Systems Division which included Heath/Zenith to a French outfit in '90.
After about 9 more months in 3 different computer stores I decided I was sick of high-tech and started selling cars.
When my industry-changing Zenith 183 PC- compatible laptop with that revolutionary 12" backlit blue LCD display and built-in 10MB hard drive finally died around 2002 I never replaced it.

Opsimath

Reaction score
I had one of these as a lad. My dad and I ran a random-wire antenna out onto the roof of our porch so I could use it.

My cousin actually made it. He became a radio engineer, and as he outgrew stuff he used to mail it to me, which was pretty damn cool.

heathkit-gr-64.jpg

What is that? It looks vaguely familiar. Somewhere in my memory I recall something with those A B C D L channels (?). Could it have been my dad's old ham radio? I think I was 6 then. The only thing I really remember about it was the squelch dial.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well I was 12! :blushed:

I was not trying to make any sort of statement about your abilities. You are my Guild-collection hero! :)

Happened very late in the game shortly after Zenith acquired 'em and named 'em "Heath/Zenith Computers and Electronics" .
If I recall correctly I think there were around 80 stores nationwide with concentrations in areas with heavy defense-related employment: Silicon Valley, Seattle (Boeing), Virginia Beach (US NAVY), Houston (NASA), Georgia (Martin Marietta)
They had won some US military contracts, providing fire-control computers to the re-commissioned Iowa class battleships, (Based on the Heathkit H-100 dual OS-capable bus architecture), and every cadet entering the Air Force Academy had to purchase a Zenith 286 AT for 2 or 3 years there for programming course.
The store I worked at in Silicon Valley provided about 30 PC "Tempest" machines to Lockheed's famous "Blue Cube", the satellite control headquarters on the west coast. "Tempest" meant they had no RF leakage that could be detected by unfriendly frequency monitoring ...they required special clearances just to handle, it was all export-restricted and classified technology and custody was certified every step of the way from factory to Blue Cube.
You may recall in around '80-'81 hobby computers were seen as the coming thing, then IBM sprang the PC on the business world and the train ("BUS"?) hit warp speed.
Zenith brought out one of the earliest PC compatibles (thank you Heathkit engineers) and had the closest true compatibility.
They had their own specially tailored version of MSDOS, upgraded their BIOS chips regularly, and ran Flight Simulator effortlessly without crashing.
Zenith sold the Data Systems Division which included Heath/Zenith to a French outfit in '90.
After about 9 more months in 3 different computer stores I decided I was sick of high-tech and started selling cars.
When my industry-changing Zenith 183 PC- compatible laptop with that revolutionary 12" backlit blue LCD display and built-in 10MB hard drive finally died around 2002 I never replaced it.

Very cool stuff - thanks for sharing!

I worked as a manager in a Radio Shack from about 1982-1984 or so. The whole "PC-compatible" thing really pinged some memories. We used to sell a Tandy 2000 which was "mostly" PC compatible. The IBM AT used an 80286 but the 2000 used an 80186. Typical. :)

What is that? It looks vaguely familiar. Somewhere in my memory I recall something with those A B C D L channels (?). Could it have been my dad's old ham radio? I think I was 6 then. The only thing I really remember about it was the squelch dial.

It's a shortwave receiver. The ABCD are labeled, but they're hard to see on that pic. They are:

A: Broadcast band (AM Radio)
B: 1.8 to 4.0 MHz
C: 4.0 to 10 MHz
D: 9.5 to 30 MHz

Note the "KC" and "MC" on the left? That's KiloCycles and MegaCycles, or as we'd say today, KiloHertz and MegaHertz.

The ABCD is just a means of using the same dial over four different bandwidths. The green sections show bands of common usage such as "Amateur", "Weather", "Marine", "CB", etc.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Apparently Heathkit is back. Sort of. https://shop.heathkit.com/shop

In other news, I just learned that Ramsey is no longer making kits. I've made a few of their kits over the years. Now I'm sad.

The rapid changes in technologies have made it difficult for the do-it-yourself hobbyist. You just don’t go out and build yourself an 802.11ac wireless router these days! You buy one at the corner big-box store for fifty bucks! One of my favorite kits I personally built was a 25” Heathkit GR295 color TV! It was considered ahead of its time for TV’s, and you had to build it. You just can’t do that today either.

Therefore, following our well respected predecessors like Heathkit, KnightKit, Eico, and others in the past, we are discontinuing our Hobby
Kit Group January 1, 2016.

http://www.ramseyelectronics.com/ce.htm

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Interesting, although I am not sure I want to build a radio, or would even use one with that form factor.

My thought as well. I suppose it would be good for someone first learning about radios, but I think the old "wire around an oatmeal tube" is still the winner there.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
"wire around an oatmeal tube"

Wasn't that design upgraded to use a Pringles can for WiFi? :)

If Heathkit came out with a tube amp I'd consider it. I know there are amp kits out there but (for no rational reason) I'd trust the Heathkit name to provide a kit that had everything I needed, support if I wanted it, and decent to outstanding audio specs.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
If Heathkit came out with a tube amp I'd consider it. I know there are amp kits out there but (for no rational reason) I'd trust the Heathkit name to provide a kit that had everything I needed, support if I wanted it, and decent to outstanding audio specs.
Yeah basing opinions on personal experience is the height of irrationality...also you're doing the economy a disservice when you try to get around the planned obsolescence requiring mandatory 3-4 year replacement intervals paradigm.
Somebody pour some sugar on me I'm getting bitter about my own beloved Heath/Zenith 25" stereo TV again.

dbirchett

Reaction score
I had a Heathkit AR-15 stereo receiver that worked very well for several years.

$_1.JPG

They also sold a version of the Harmony H-76/78.

H78_H14541_Heathkit_02.jpg

66607-1.jpg

A Harmony H-76 was my first guitar. Loved it. Great sound, great looks. Bought it nearly new in January 1965. Traded it a few months later for a Stratocaster that I loved more.

Bill Ashton

Reaction score
Guild Total
OH! I wanted one of those Harmony's in the worst way...barring that, one of the single-cut Silvertone's which was essentially the same thing.

Like the old LaFayette and Allied catalogs, used to pour over the Heathkit catalog when it came in the mail. In the 8th grade I got the fuzztone kit as a present. No gain, but the best sounding woman-tone you could get!. Traded that and an early Vox wah in the mid-90's when I started into acoustic guitars.

Speaking of Vox, I was under the impression, perhaps wrong, that the Heathkit guitar amps were really Thomas Organ/Vox design amps...the features seemed to be about the same on the piggybacks, though the look was very different. They did offer Thomas organ kits as well as one for the Vox Continental I think...