I must have one...

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am 99.44% certain that on one of the LMGs I saw a neck cradle in use that was actually a gun rest and had an outdoor gear company's logo still visible.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
That sounds right as Ivory soap, fro... :) I remember them being really cool, but I can't remember what was etched/printed on them. Anyone?

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
This is something I really want. Next time I save a few bucks, the order's going in for one.

What do you guys have/use for neck support when you're giving your Guild some TLC? The factory in NH had some really cool, logo'd leather neck supports. Wish I'd gotten one of those, but this thing from StewMac is better.

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...r_Maintenance/StewMac_Deadblow_Neck_Rest.html

Dead blow neck rests are cool, but pretty much unnecessary unless you're doing a fret job or something that requires impact support of the complete neck. For string changes, I find the neck rest that came with one of my Hercules stand to be just fine. I might even have an extra one around here if you're in need Charlie.

hercules_neck_cradle2__98687_zoom__24217_zoom.jpeg

Neal

Reaction score
I just lay the guitar on a bed and support the neck with a regular pillow for string changes and truss rod adjustments.

If it needs anything more serious than that, it's off to the luthier.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, Neal,

A foam pillow is OK, but when I'm cleaning and stringing I would like a stiffer support to keep the crown a fixed distance off my work table. What I do now is pretty precarious (though I must admit with all those 12 strings I've gotten reasonably good at it. :)

Sandy, PM...

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Dead blow neck rests are cool, but pretty much unnecessary unless you're doing a fret job or something that requires impact support of the complete neck. For string changes, I find the neck rest that came with one of my Hercules stand to be just fine. I might even have an extra one around here if you're in need Charlie.

hercules_neck_cradle2__98687_zoom__24217_zoom.jpeg

That's what I use at home, too. Nothing fancy but it works.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
I've strung every guitar I've ever owned on my lap for 40 years. Maybe on a couch. Neck support? That's my thigh. :)

guildman63

Reaction score
I've strung every guitar I've ever owned on my lap for 40 years. Maybe on a couch. Neck support? That's my thigh. :)

+1 on that! With my new Vibramate Spoiler changing strings with a Bigsby will be a snap!

tommym

Reaction score
I use mom's expensive decorative living room pillows, just to irritate her......:grumpy:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I use mom's expensive decorative living room pillows, just to irritate her......:grumpy:
HAAAAAA HAAAAAA!! I like your style, Tommy!! My mom was so irritating that it wasn't even fun to try to vex her because her mood went from awful to horrible and there really wasn't much change. But, if only I could've really PISSED her off...... but... it wasn't worth it. Then my dad would get involved and he'd hate how much she hated and then I'd get hit. But I still love this whole idea..... :encouragement:

"Hey, mom... are these your GOOD pillows??" :devilish:

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
I have been using this self-leveling wooden block from Stew-Mac for about 15 years now. They come in two heights for acoustic and solid-body electrics. I think that I originally ordered a pair because I thought it was a very clever design. But, I have really come to appreciate how well they work in supporting the neck during string changes. Whenever I have visited a repair shop or a luthiers' shop they always have a neck rest on their work bench, usually of shop-made design.

I also use a bath mat with a "memory- foam" backing on the dining room table to protect the finish on the body of the guitar. I bought it at Macy's and I think that it is part of the Martha Stewart Collection. I also have one on the tile bathroom floor in my house... great for relieving low back-pain while standing at the sink shaving in the morning!

http://www.stewmac.com/Luthier_Tool...tenance/Rock-n-Roller_Neck_Rest_Set_of_2.html

Bill

Last edited:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have been using this Fender Logo mat and Neck rest for about a year and I have no complaints. When it is not in use in rolls up into a plastic tube that is easy to store or take with me wherever I go. Makes cleaning fret boards and polishing guitars pretty easy. I normally roll it out on the bed and it works great for all my guitars both Acoustics and Electrics. I only use this if I am Cleaning or doing saddle or nut work but it also works great for string changes. I love the No slip mat. Normally I change strings on a regular guitar stand if there is no cleaning or maintenance needed. Here is the link. I think you can find them cheaper than this as I remember paying around $30 for mine.

http://www.amazon.com/Fender-0990502000-Guitar-Tools/dp/B001OLW0J8

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am 99.44% certain that on one of the LMGs I saw a neck cradle in use that was actually a gun rest and had an outdoor gear company's logo still visible.

I seem to remember something like this now that I think about it.

s-l1600.jpg

This is $45 shipped in the eBay listing, but looks to be a high quality, made in USA piece that looks to be built to last.

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I seem to remember something like this now that I think about it.

s-l1600.jpg

This is $45 shipped in the eBay listing, but looks to be a high quality, made in USA piece that looks to be built to last.

That's the color and basic shape I remember but I can't say I remember that logo.

In a world where people will take a soap holder, punch holes in it, add a sponge and have a humidifier, I'm kind of wondering why no one is suggesting a simple bean bag...

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
That's the color and basic shape I remember but I can't say I remember that logo.

In a world where people will take a soap holder, punch holes in it, add a sponge and have a humidifier, I'm kind of wondering why no one is suggesting a simple bean bag...

The problem with bean bags is that they don't elevate the headstock of the guitar enough, although I suppose you could put something under the bean bag. This is even more of a concern with slot heads.