Guild in 1st MTV unplugged session

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
Dug pretty deep and came to this video of the very first MTV unplugged session featuring Squeeze. Glen Tillbrook playing what looks to me to be a D40 Sunburst. I saw Squeeze live recently. Glen Tillbrook is an incredible guitarist by any measure but didn't often let it shine too bright in his recorded career. Very underrated. You can definitly find amazing examples of his virtuosity in other videos on You Tube . Anyway, check it out.

http://youtu.be/RMtW9mrwcGk

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Great find! Glen Tillbrook is using Taylor guitars since about 1990, but obviously a Guild in 1989! Can't identify it clearly as D-40 as I watch on a small screen right now. It might be an arched back model actually, so not a D-40.
Ralf

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Great find! Glen Tillbrook is using Taylor guitars since about 1990, but obviously a Guild in 1989! Can't identify it clearly as D-40 as I watch on a small screen right now. It might be an arched back model actually, so not a D-40.
Ralf

Along at about 2:15 and once for several seconds shortly, after, a Chesterfield's visible, didn't think any of the archback dreads ever got those, but a quick check over at Westerly Guild Guitars shows a G37 with one, so, yep, it could be.
Other flatbacks got 'em too, so....?
We may never know.
Congrats, BB, on a new member sighted for the "known players" though.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats, BB, on a new member sighted for the "known players" though.

Big Squeeze fan here, but this particular footage does not 'prove' he was a Guild player.
Here's a little info you might not be able to find on the internet, but it definitely comes from a reliable source:

"October 1989 ......Our coming-out party almost didn't come off at all. For rehearsals, Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze showed up with electric guitars. We thought the title of the show said it all, but it turned out we needed to be a little more explicit in our instructions; Unplugged wasn't exactly part of the American vernacular at this point. But after we scrambled around town for a pair of acoustic guitars, the two were ready to break into "Pulling Mussels From A Shell" and our little show was born"

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Big Squeeze fan here, but this particular footage does not 'prove' he was a Guild player.
Here's a little info you might not be able to find on the internet, but it definitely comes from a reliable source:

"October 1989 ......Our coming-out party almost didn't come off at all. For rehearsals, Chris Difford and Glenn Tilbrook of Squeeze showed up with electric guitars. We thought the title of the show said it all, but it turned out we needed to be a little more explicit in our instructions; Unplugged wasn't exactly part of the American vernacular at this point. But after we scrambled around town for a pair of acoustic guitars, the two were ready to break into "Pulling Mussels From A Shell" and our little show was born"

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

You had something to do with MTV ?

Ah ok the old print drew my attention sorry Zinlike shinny stuff . ;)

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Hans,
Thats awesome thanks for sharing! I am a pretty big Squeeze fan myself, and when Glenn Tilbrook showed up to jam with Warren Haynes, Todd Park Mhor and Tea Leaf Green at "the Jammys" at the "theater at MSG" (formerly the Paramount) in 2008...I couldn't believe it!! Definetly a bucket list performance for me to catch. I know he sat in for at least one Big Head Todd song (sister sweetly) and they did "tempted" for sure which Warren Haynes sang some of the lyrics for, and probably one or 2 others im not recalling at the moment... they were nasty! He sounded great!

cool that he played a Guild for the first "unplugged". Also some credit to Bon Jovi for the initial idea of unplugged which came following the epic Richie Sambora/JBJ acoustic rendition of "Wanted Dead or Alive" at the MTV Awards show shortly before that

bbmclean1st

Reaction score
That's some impressive trivia right there. Difford and Tillbrook are on an acoustic tour right now, which I saw and did not feature any Guilds but some odd electrics and an electric Hammond.
Guild was well represented on the majority of MTV unplugged session, particularly at bass (Clapton/Nirvana) and most exclusively for Alice in Chains. A lesser known unplugged session was the first to be made into an album Paul McCartney - The Official Bootleg in 1991. McCartney plays a Martin dread but is flanked by Guild Bass and well-appointed Guild 12. One of the stand outs was more of a forgotten Wings track written about the Beatles break up called Every Night. Link below.

http://youtu.be/0UoT6IEj_jk

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Rayk said:
You had something to do with MTV ?

No, nothing like that, but I looked into those early 'Unplugged' sessions and tried to get in contact with the producers during the early '90s to see if there were any photos available for publication. It turned out that they were working on a project themselves, which is where the above quote is from. They were very protective about their material and were making sure that no photos were getting out to third parties.

At the time I was mainly interested in the episodes that featured 'vintage' Guilds, so that would be the one with the Smithereens (w. Graham Parker) and the one with Stevie Ray Vaughan that showed resp. an early '60s blonde F-50 and an F-412 from around 1970.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
No, nothing like that, but I looked into those early 'Unplugged' sessions and tried to get in contact with the producers during the early '90s to see if there were any photos available for publication. It turned out that they were working on a project themselves, which is where the above quote is from. They were very protective about their material and were making sure that no photos were getting out to third parties.

At the time I was mainly interested in the episodes that featured 'vintage' Guilds, so that would be the one with the Smithereens (w. Graham Parker) and the one with Stevie Ray Vaughan that showed resp. an early '60s blonde F-50 and an F-412 from around 1970.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Very cool , you have had quite the adventure . There should be a thread about your Guild adventures and meet and greets or will be another book ? Haha ... I'd read it ;)