N dv d!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pics added below.

My "new" 1994 DV-72 arrived yesterday afternoon. But, with day time temps @35F and night time @ 25F during its two day transit, I waited t open the case to this morning. About halfway thru the night I realized I had not asked about smoke smell. It's usually one of my standard questions, because my first eBay purchase just reeked. I worried the rest of the night... and was relieved when I opened the case this morning. No smoke. I only had ~10 minutes to give it a once over, tune it up, and make sure all was OK before driving my daughter to school this AM, but... I am happy to report that it arrived safe, sounds great, and is most definitely a "keeper!" Pics will have to wait until this weekend...

First observations and impressions...
Neck block date is in Feb 1994, so it's a few months older than my 72MK. I felt inside the sound hole, and it has the reinforcement plate bracing pattern, as I expected.

It's in great shape, tho' I am not sure I would call it "as new" (the term used in the ad). It's got a light scuff on the soundboard above the pick guard (that might buff out), a couple small dings, and general light swirl marks, etc. The top finish has mellowed to a nice yellow... similar to my 73. The B/S are nice, dark EIRW... more similar to my 72MK than the somewhat lighter, more iridescent looking B/S of my DV-73. Interestingly, it has just a little finish crackle along the joint between the fret board binding and the neck... just for a couple inches up by the nut. Not anything I am worried about... but both my other DVs arrived with similar issues. The 73 actually had some separation of the fret board from the neck, and had to go to Fixit for some R & R. I don't see any separation on this one... just some minor crackle that may even have been touched up at some time. Overall, the new addition really seems to be in excellent shape for a 20 year old.

I had forgotten from the October sale that it had electronics...these had been removed by the interim owner (my seller), which was fine by me. But it meant the end pin hole was drilled out. The jack was removed, and the end pin is a one piece plastic 1/2" plug/pin with pearl dot. It's a loose fit... so might need a small drop of white glue to hold it... that will wait until I decide whether or not to replace it. It's not bad looking, actually, but I might see about getting either a bone or ebony plug/pin with turquoise dot.

Once I tuned it up, I did a quick check of action/relief/nut action, etc. Action at the 12th is LOW... maybe 0.095" or less. It wasn't buzzing when fingerpicked, but I didn't have time to really check it in detail, strumming up and down the neck. Relief is good. Nut action is OK, tho' I might drop the treble nut slots a tad. The saddle is the highest of any Guild I have ever owned... I have no doubt I will be able to get it set up to my preferences.

What really thrilled me was the neck width... I have really gotten used to the 1-3/4" necks of my other DVs, and was hoping for the same, knowing that the "spec" was 1-11/16". First impression was that the neck felt very similar to my 72MK, maybe just a little slimmer front/back than the 72MK. Definitely not as chunky as the 73. But not as "tight" as my D-50s 1-11/16" width. So I got out the caliper, and sure enough, the neck width measured 1.73" right in front of the nut. Yeah!

So... how does it sound? First impressions are very similar to my DV-72MK. Smooth, rich, well balanced. I don't know what strings it has... the E measured at 0.054-0.055", so between light and medium? The treble strings have a gold tint to them. Anyone know what these are? I'll definitely play it with these strings this evening and tomorrow, but likely will swap to Pearse PB lights this weekend.

So, everything looks really positive... I am a happy camper! Quite relieved, actually. The only "downer" is knowing that I have to sell my D-50 and probably my D-46 (I am really struggling with the idea of giving up my D-46)...

Pics will come over the weekend!

Last edited:

wileypickett

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to pics!

My DV72, clean as it was, also had crackle along the binding / fingerboard seam near the nut end. This is common on guitars of a certain age it seems; the binding, being plastic, shrinks over time.

The bindings on my JV72 had actually split along several of the side marker dots and my F512 had similar crackle along the fingerboard / binding seam. The splits I had repaired but the crackle doesn't bother me at all.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I used to use Martin regular 80/20 strings and they had the treble strings that were of a Gold to Brass color. Looking forward to pics! Congrats!

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats pics would be great but you know me audio much better ;)

Aristera

Reaction score
Congratulations!!! Thanks for providing info on you nut width. Looks like I'm going to have to get mine replaced. Any ideas as to where they would be available?

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Congratulations!!! Thanks for providing info on you nut width. Looks like I'm going to have to get mine replaced.
Unfortunately, you cannot simply add a 1-3/4" nut to a neck made for a 1-11/16" nut... it would just hang over the edges. Are the ends of your nut flush with the edges of the fretboard? If so, the nut is the correct width... adding a wider nut isn't useful.

However, if you need a little more room between the strings, you MIGHT be able to make a new nut that widens the string spacing a little within the confines of the nut... You just have to make sure there is sufficient room between the outer strings and the end of the frets, so that you don't roll the string off the fret while playing. How much space is needed probably depends on the individual player and their technique... with my 1-11/16" nut Guilds, I could get away with string spacings of 36 - 36.5 mm (I don't know why I measure nuts in inches and string spacing in mm), and at the high end of that range I would occasionally roll off my low E while fretting. On the 1-3/4" nuts, I can get away with 37 - 37.5 mm without rolling off strings. I measure string spacing E to e, center to center, right at the front of the nut. Its amazing how much difference 0.5 mm makes!

Last edited:

DV-72 NT

Reaction score
Congratulations Dave! I'm frothing at the mouth waiting to see your pics. Yup, your nut's like mine ... er ... that didn't sound right.

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Spent some time polishing and re-stringing my new (to me) 1994 DV-72NT today, and took a few pics (not very artistic) as promised...

162395945.jpg

162395950.jpg

162395948.jpg

162395949.jpg

162395952.jpg

162395947.jpg

162395951.jpg

I put JP PB lights on her... using a set of Gurian bone/turquoise dot pins I originally had made for the DV-73. I think I like black horn pins on an ebony bridge, and had a set of horn/turquoise pins made for the DV-73 by England's Custom Inlay. Think I'll have to order a set for the new 72, as well...

Here's a family shot. Sorry for the bit of a tilt... the camera was up against the far wall (even with the zoom at its widest), and I couldn't really compose. It shows the difference in coloration of the tops of the DVs (three hangers on the right)... and the run-out in the top of the DV-72MK.

162395953.jpg

A pic of the bracing can be seen here... almost identical to the 72MK.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Things are looking pretty happy in Dreadsville, Dave! A nice addition to your stable. You really can't go wrong with the DV72's. I played mine for almost 2 hours last night. There is not a better sounding guitar out there!! Congrats on the new one!! :encouragement: