The Thunderbird is apparently resurrecting! Maybe they should call it the Phoenix.

dbirchett

Reaction score
Guild is showing the reissue of the S-200 Thunderbird.

Day2_05_NAMM_Guild.jpg

This is the copy from the Premier Guitar site:

"Guild Guitars will officially resurrect the S-200 "T-bird" this year. Though then-Guild subsidiary DeArmond did a version back in the '90s, this prototype is the first Guild-branded version of the solidbody since the '60s and comes complete with slider switches and Hagstrom-style trem just like the original. Looks like a very nice MAP too--right around $799."

Should sell a few. Too bad Zal Yanovsky isn't still around to have a signature model. I sure hope they didn't put the built in stand on them. Those kept some repairmen in business repairing snapped headstocks.

matsickma

Reaction score
I had just noticed Hagstrom reissued a few of their solid body guitars with the tremer vibrato. It got me thinking ...plus Guild issued a Thunderbird T-shirt. So what is the prediction on the impact on the price of vintage Thunderbird? Aristocrats seemed to have dropped from nosebleed prices after Guild issued the NS models.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First the Starfire VI and now the beloved S200 Thunderbird, I guess there is nothing Guild that is left sacred anymore. I know, I know! We should be so happy that Cordoba is able to make things profitable and that eventually trickles down through the company Blah Blah Blah. Here is to wishing everyone a wonderfully Happy Weekend!:surprise:

Last edited:

griehund

Reaction score
I love it. A whole new generation will be exposed to Guild classics at an affordable price. NS products are high quality for the money. Sacred don't pay the rent.

The Guilds of Grot

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmm, it looks a lot like a certain LTG member's S-200 Thunderbird that made an unauthorized trip to Korea by way of Oxnard!

100_6536.jpg

For that matter, the new US built D-20 looks a lot like this D-25 which also made a trip to Oxnard!

pix%20032_zpsia58wl7w.jpg

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
I gotta get one, MIK or not. I imagine if they made a US version it would be pretty expensive.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Hey Kurt, care to explain why you said "unauthorized" trip?

walrus

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
I think bringing back the T-Bird is a cool idea. There's bound to be some demand due to the Dan Auerbach (Black Keys) connection. I've seen a couple of originals go for very decent $$ recently at my local guitar emporium. (Got to play 'em both too!) I'm kind of a sucker for guitars with lotsa knobs & switches anyway. Fender Jaguars, Teiscos & such…bring 'em on. IMO it makes total sense to keep the price of such an oddball down at the lower end.

-Dave-

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Hmm, it looks a lot like a certain LTG member's S-200 Thunderbird that made an unauthorized trip to Korea by way of Oxnard!
Excellent Kurt! But how about the Koreans had a good time in California? All possible...
Let's compare: Plastic NS style TRC instead of metal Thunderbird TRC. Color not exactly matching (they didn't spray the yellow). New bridge. Even the top white switch was copied. The one next to the bridge pup not.
Interesting they only showed it at NAMM behind closed doors, not at the booth. So it seems to come out only later in 2016.

100_6536.jpg
Day2_05_NAMM_Guild.jpg

And the D-25/D-20:
Well, the left pictures shows an arched back vs the D-20 flatback.
Ren obvioulsy also did a few optical changes (also bracing changes): Slightly different headstock appointments, different fretboard markers, ebony fretboard and bridge vs rosewood?, different pickguard, different rosette.

pix%20032_zpsia58wl7w.jpg
2.jpg

Ralf

matsickma

Reaction score
I hope the new bridge on the Thunderbird didn't copy the knief edges of the Hagstrom model. That design does a number on the palm of your hand.

matsickma

Reaction score
If it were me I would add the feature but have an extra screw securing it to the body of the guitar so that you would have to make an effort to use it!

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh look, I have a pair of 60's mini hums and no guitar to put them in ... hmmm.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The more I look at the Korean Version, The more I think a set of DeArmonds or white faced TV Jones T-armonds or maybe even a set of TV Jones Filtertrons would look pretty good in that guitar. As much as it kills me that they made the Thunderbird into a Korean guitar I think I might be able to take out a little aggravation on one and Mod the hell out of it.:ambivalence: Paging Mad Scientist, Mad Scientist to the Operating Room! Hmmm............

Zelja

Reaction score
I think this is a good idea. Thunderbirds are going for plenty so there will still be marked point of difference from the originals. I would not be too sad if the kickstand wasn't included. It was a flawed idea in the first place & only adds to cost. I would hope that they fix the bridge mini-hum issue on these.

The $799 price worries me. Seems too low & makes me wonder if it is MIC instead of MIK.

matsickma

Reaction score
In an early '60's Guild catalog they initially introduced the Thunderbird as a S100 Polara shaped guitar with block fingerboard inlays, bound neck and DeAromond pickups. It was red and may have been an artist rendering. When the Thunderbird was finally released it had the Gumby body.
Does anyone have that catalog and picture?