New Member 1966 Guild StarFire XII Tuner Debacle

Harry

Reaction score
GoodDay All, They say a picture is worth a thousand words so it can be seen. Acquired this jewel about a week ago that only has one problem.
The original tuners have been replaced with aftermarket that don't fit well, but work fine. Six of twelve screws lined up, so whoever replaced the tuners wisely avoided drilling a bunch more holes, but that results in the tuners not being as tight to the back of the head-stock as possible. These should be replaced with a proper fitting set for best appearance and other reasons. This Guitar is DC 105, which makes it the 5th one made in Hoboken before Avnet acquired them in April 1966. There were 485 made in 1966. Need to know where or who I can get a set of 6x6 that fit properly. I believe they used the same open backs that they used for their acoustics..... could be a bad assumption. Found one set that the outer posts are 4-78” apart w/grommets and screws. Anybody know if this will do the trick? Thanks in advance, Harry

b7uxptdulu77bdto0bgt.jpg

gjxmtda7aq9b9qvtythe.jpg

eljj9kespakr9imqs75v.jpg

srz5zopprkbc2wj5xbjg.jpg

Reaction score
Harry, welcome, it looks like the guitar at the Music Go Round in Woodbury MN I played. Nice guitar but a lot of replaced parts such as the turners. Came from the same guy who had my 1971 M-75. He had something like 150 guitars when he passed away. I would think you will find these turners were used on many other guitars through the years, even non -Guilds. Enjoy your new guitar.
Thanks John

Reaction score
I have that style turners as your Starfire XII originally had, on my 1967 SG Jr. and I think they were Japanese made turners.
Thanks John

Last edited:

Harry

Reaction score
Yes it is. Plays really well. What did you see as far as "a lot of replaced parts"? thanks, H

Last edited:

Harry

Reaction score
Harry, welcome, it looks like the guitar at the Music Go Round in Woodbury MN I played. Nice guitar but a lot of replaced parts such as the turners. Came from the same guy who had my 1971 M-75. He had something like 150 guitars when he passed away. I would think you will find these turners were used on many other guitars through the years, even non -Guilds. Enjoy your new guitar.
Thanks John

Thank-you, Which other parts were replaced?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Out of curiosity, Hans, what's wrong with the strip tuners in Harry's photo? They look like a match for the old tuners' footprints in Harry's headstock photo.
Those look like the Japanese ones. I'm gonna guess that Harry,'s were the Klusons and the have slightly different post spacings.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Then maybe they are a different Japanese tuner with different spacing. We'll have to hear what Harry or Hans says.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, Hans, what's wrong with the strip tuners in Harry's photo? They look like a match for the old tuners' footprints in Harry's headstock photo.

The outer posts of the tuners on Harry's Guild Starfire should be 4-19/32" apart. The tuners in the photo have the outer posts at 4-7/8"; the 4-7/8" spacing was used on later Guilds.

Harry's guitar originally had the first version of the Japanese 6-on-a-plate tuners, which had the same post spacing as the earlier Kluson and Waverly tuners that were used by Guild before the change to the Japanese tuners.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

kakerlak

Reaction score
The outer posts of the tuners on Harry's Guild Starfire should be 4-19/32" apart. The tuners in the photo have the outer posts at 4-7/8"; the 4-7/8" spacing was used on later Guilds.

Harry's guitar originally had the first version of the Japanese 6-on-a-plate tuners, which had the same post spacing as the earlier Kluson and Waverly tuners that were used by Guild before the change to the Japanese tuners.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Thanks Hans! I bet that makes them a real crapshoot to hunt down on eBay, etc. I hated the tuners on my '66, BTW.