Has anyone seen this pick guard before?

PH_Graphics

Reaction score
I'm a new member and this is my first post, even though I've owned my F-412 Blonde since 1979. According to Guild's serial number chart it was made in the F-412's first year of production, 1968. I bought it from someone in the Chicago area who said that the rosewood pick guard was a special order, but factory original. I've been in touch recently with Cordoba Music group to see if they can confirm or deny that the pick guard was factory installed. Their most recent response is that because of the numerous ownership changes since the late 60's many details from that period are simply not available, but that no one there recognizes the guard and it's unlikely to have come with that guard from the factory. I personally don't care, but I'm looking at having some work done on the guitar and need to make a decision about either working around that guard or replacing it. I'd prefer the latter, but at the same time I don't want to destroy what might have been a very rare factory offering.

So I'm throwing this out to the group. Has anyone out there even seen or heard about a pick guard like this one?

OK. There is a problem. I just clicked on the "Insert Image" icon and see that I can't upload the file from my computer. The FAQ area says that I can upload images by going to my UCP and clicking the "Photos and Albums" link, but I don't see that link anywhere on my Control Panel page. Maybe you can see the guard from my profile picture, but i's pretty small so does anyone want to elaborate on the upload process? Or is that option not available to new members?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
I'm a new member and this is my first post, even though I've owned my F-412 Blonde since 1979. According to Guild's serial number chart it was made in the F-412's first year of production, 1968. I bought it from someone in the Chicago area who said that the rosewood pick guard was a special order, but factory original. I've been in touch recently with Cordoba Music group to see if they can confirm or deny that the pick guard was factory installed. Their most recent response is that because of the numerous ownership changes since the late 60's many details from that period are simply not available, but that no one there recognizes the guard and it's unlikely to have come with that guard from the factory. I personally don't care, but I'm looking at having some work done on the guitar and need to make a decision about either working around that guard or replacing it. I'd prefer the latter, but at the same time I don't want to destroy what might have been a very rare factory offering.

So I'm throwing this out to the group. Has anyone out there even seen or heard about a pick guard like this one?

OK. There is a problem. I just clicked on the "Insert Image" icon and see that I can't upload the file from my computer. The FAQ area says that I can upload images by going to my UCP and clicking the "Photos and Albums" link, but I don't see that link anywhere on my Control Panel page. Maybe you can see the guard from my profile picture, but i's pretty small so does anyone want to elaborate on the upload process? Or is that option not available to new members?

Welcome.

This is the how to for pictures. Since you read some FAQ and did not get that as the answer, please tell us specifically where you did look so we can fix that, if we can.

Cordoba is quite correct in that there is a lot that was just never documented and a lot of what was documented has since been lost. But Hans Moust knows much and once he sees pictures you will get the best answer possible.

PH_Graphics

Reaction score
This is how I arrived at the photo information I referenced above: Upon log-in I was taken to "http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/forum.php." I clicked on the FAQ link in the upper left. On the FAQ page I clicked the link "Reading and Posting Messages." That took me to a page with 4 boxes. The second box down, titled "Setting and Profile Features" contains the link "Albums and Photos." I clicked on that link and was taken to page "http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_albums." At the top of that page was a box titled "Albums and Photos." The box contained 2 answers and 2 questions. Here is the text of that box, with the parts I was trying to use to upload and post pictures changed to red text:

"How do I use albums?
As a member, you can create Albums of images that are linked to your public profile. Albums can be created by visiting the User Control Panel, and clicking on the 'Photos & Albums' link, and then clicking on 'Add Album'.
Each album can have a title ('Joe's Holiday to Nepal'), a description ('A bunch of photos from my recent adventure') and can be of three different types: Public, Private or Profile.
Public albums can be viewed by anyone
Private albums can only be viewed by site staff (moderators, administrators) and your Friends and Contacts (info)
Profile albums are viewable only by you. However, you can use the images to customize your public profile (info)

How do I upload photos?
Once you've created an album you can upload images to it. Simply view the album and click on 'Upload Photos'.
You'll have the option to give each photo a caption, and to set one image as the Album cover, which will be displayed on the public profile. To delete an album or edit the title, description or album type, click on 'Edit Album'. To delete an image, or to edit a caption or change the album cover, click on 'Edit Photos'."
All members who have access to your album images can comment on them, in a similar way to Visitor Messages (more info). You can delete any image comments from your albums, and report inappropriate messages to moderators.
When you have uploaded a photo, you can place it in your posts by using the BB code text that is displayed below the image when you view it at full size."

The words "User Control Panel" in the first line of the first answer were a link, so I clicked the link to get to my CP. According to that first answer my CP should have a link 'Photos & Albums' and that link should take me to 'Add Album'. But there is no link 'Photos & Albums' on my control panel page, and therefore no way I can see to upload photos directly from my computer.

From your reply it appears that the only way to insert images into a post is from Photobucket or something similar. I'm a professional photographer and have no interest whatsoever in Photobucket, Flicker, Instagram and the like, since the theft for personal use of copyrighted photography seems to be viewed these days by the vast majority of those online as a basic human right. It's not.

I personally don't care if people download pictures of my guitar, but I'm not going to take the time to sign up, learn to use the service and then upload photos to someplace like Photobucket just to import them into my LTG posts. If there is not an easier way to do it internally with LTG, then I'll just post the photos to one of my own websites and direct anyone who wants to view the photo to that website.

Thanks.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
But Hans Moust knows much and once he sees pictures you will get the best answer possible.
Hi PH, welcome aboard!
I'm also a bit skeptical about it being "original" but we still get surprised once in a while, and if it's a '68, well, that was one of Guild's more "adventurous" periods, it was a lot easier to special order a detail like that or the more common "dual pickguards" back then.
Also, in case you're not recognizing Frono's reference to Hans Moust, he's our "guru" and undoubtedley the world's foremost expert on Guild history, even wrote a book about Guild's first 25 years, with a second volume underway.
He prefers to be contacted here as his mailbox on the forum is frequently full:
http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/
Please do keep us informed, we love pics, especially of "unusual builds" !

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
From your reply it appears that the only way to insert images into a post is from Photobucket or something similar. I'm a professional photographer and have no interest whatsoever in Photobucket, Flicker, Instagram and the like, since the theft for personal use of copyrighted photography seems to be viewed these days by the vast majority of those online as a basic human right. It's not.

I personally don't care if people download pictures of my guitar, but I'm not going to take the time to sign up, learn to use the service and then upload photos to someplace like Photobucket just to import them into my LTG posts. If there is not an easier way to do it internally with LTG, then I'll just post the photos to one of my own websites and direct anyone who wants to view the photo to that website.

Thanks.

Thanks. That is a generic FAQ and we need to change it to reflect features that are not enabled on LTG.

You may have missed a point in the "real FAQ" on posting pictures. It is a two step process. Host a picture somewhere else and then insert an image link to that somewhere else in an LTG. If you already have a website to host photos then it is pretty much nothing more than a copy/paste operation to display them here.

As a professional photographer running at least one website you are almost certainly not the target audience of the "real FAQ" which was geared towards folks who have no clue how to share pictures.

When the LTG hosting policy was established the decision to not allow pictures to be hosted directly was made for cost and liability issues. The bandwidth to serve the photos came out of LTG's pockets and LTG's liability for hosting uploaded content was a non issue if it did not host uploaded content. If someone uploaded one of your copyrighted photos to LTG, who would your lawyers go after first?

Looking forward to seeing your guitar, one way or another.

PH_Graphics

Reaction score
I want to start by saying that I wish I were a successful enough photographer to have lawyers who could go after most of my copyright violators.

I fully understand your reasoning and policies. It's too bad we have to shape or lives around such considerations, but that, I suspect, is beyond either of our spheres of influence. Thanks for the explanation, though.

Yes, it will be easy enough for me to throw some photos onto one of my websites and post the link. I have deadlines today for 2 of the books I'm working on, so maybe I'll have a few minutes tonight or tomorrow morning.

Should I start a new thread when I finally post those photos? My fear if I post in a reply to this tread is that few will find photos buried this deeply into what up until now has been mainly a nuts-and-bolts discussion between myself and the moderator.

I'm looking forward to getting them posted and receiving feedback from a world of people much more knowledgeable about Guild's history than I am.
Paul

PH_Graphics

Reaction score
Well, I think there might be another problem with trying to post the photos. I uploaded them to one of my websites and pasted the URL into the "Insert photo" dialog box, but instead of seeing the JPEG I saw an icon I've never seen before, but one which might logically be interpreted as showing a photo broken in half (broken photo link?).

My web sites (and the main reason I picked those hosing companies) all have the "right-click to download" option blocked. When someone tries that they just see a notice that the image is copyrighted, and my contact information is given.

I had not thought about it until just now but it makes sense that if my images can't be downloaded they probably can't be "copied" to another website, either.

I'll keep trying to figure something out.

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I look forward to your pictures. I'm all in favor of another thread. I have no experience with hosting images in a way that they are protected from downloading but can be viewed so I don't know whether you can directly link successfully or not. Under the circumstances, posting a HTTP link to your website with a brief comment to the user that they need to click the link would be an acceptable way to see what you have :)

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Well, I think there might be another problem with trying to post the photos. I uploaded them to one of my websites and pasted the URL into the "Insert photo" dialog box, but instead of seeing the JPEG I saw an icon I've never seen before, but one which might logically be interpreted as showing a photo broken in half (broken photo link?).

My web sites (and the main reason I picked those hosing companies) all have the "right-click to download" option blocked. When someone tries that they just see a notice that the image is copyrighted, and my contact information is given.

I had not thought about it until just now but it makes sense that if my images can't be downloaded they probably can't be "copied" to another website, either.

I'll keep trying to figure something out.

The first thing I would look for if images are'nt displaying correctly is the image address you are pasting into the insert image dialog box... it needs to end in .jpg . When I post images from my hosting service (PBase.com), the addresses don't end in .jpg , and I have to append that on to the end of the image address before they will show.

Another issue might be, as you say, that the server or website you are using doesn't allow direct linking... I am not very savvy about the subtleties of website design and coding, but I think PBase allows me the option of enabling/disabling direct linking on an image by image basis.

(Oh... and you might start a new thread if you don't want the images buried.... or just go to your first post and edit it to insert the images... there doesn't seem to be a time limit on editing)

Good luck... we always like to see pics. And welcome to LTG!

Last edited:

PH_Graphics

Reaction score
Looks like another dead end. I remembered I have a (never used) Flickr account, so I posted 2 photos there and set the privacy option on both to "public." I just tried, in a new thread, to link to those and again just saw the icon which looks to me to represent a photo broken in half. So my next question is this: if a link to a hosted photo is successful, should I actually see the photo while creating the post, or will the photo only be visible once I actually publish the post? In other words, is it normal to see that icon rather than the actual image I'm trying to bring into the post?

Is Flickr not a viable option as a host for the purpose of bringing a photo into a post?

I simply can't spend a lot more time on this until sometime in May, and with 4 fully functional web sites up and running already I'm not going to pay for an image hosting service. What free services are known to work with LTG, and of those which is the quickest and easiest to set up an account and upload photos?

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
I "Go Advanced" and use "Preview". If I don't see the image as expected in the preview then something is wrong and I try and figure it out.

If you want to send me a Pm (private message) with the URL to a picture on one of your sites, I can try and link to it and they will at least tell us whether it is the operator or the web site.

I am hosting my images on Google so that is one free service that works.

Why does this have to be so difficult? :-(

GuildFS4612CE

Reaction score
Jamie, what if he just emails you a couple of pics of the guitar that he doesn't mind being seen on LTG, and you or someone else hosts the pic for him on their own acct and you add it to his post as moderator...with his permission, of course?

ps: has he gone into his LTG settings and selected the advanced, full featured versions?

ah ha...there's another thread on this...problem solved...all's well that ends well.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Reaction score
Guild Total
Jamie, what if he just emails you a couple of pics of the guitar that he doesn't mind being seen on LTG, and you or someone else hosts the pic for him on their own acct and you add it to his post as moderator...with his permission, of course?

It has been done before and I will be glad to do it again. I hadn't offered yet because in this case the Tech Weenie was winning and "Why doesn't it work?" was a more interesting problem to solve than "Let's talk about this pickguard". :)

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG. OB 109 is indeed a 1968 F-412. And they were available by special order only. Only by 1974 they became a regular model. Hans most proabably has information about your guitar.

Just to compare, this is S/N OB 104: (they guy obviously didn't tune her...)

Ralf

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG. OB 109 is indeed a 1968 F-412. And they were available by special order only. Only by 1974 they became a regular model. Hans most proabably has information about your guitar.[/video]
Ralf
Ralf you may have missed there's a companion thread with an almost identical title continuing from this one:
http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?188345-Has-anyone-ever-seen-this-pick-guard-before
Your input may help explain why PH was told the guitar was a "Special Order" though.
The problem is that somehow that got interpreted to mean the pickguard was Guild custom work.
That's discussed in the other thread where he managed to post pics.