2015 Guild S100

hagmeat

Reaction score
01-18-2016, 08:23 PM

The neck is a bit wider (1 11/16″ (43 mm) than my 70`s Guilds but still very comfortable. I asked the seller to loosen the strings before packing and when I tuned it up the action/set up was great out of the box. Medium action with no fret buzz. The machine heads work great and it stays in tune very well.
Like the early 70's S100's the neck angle is parallel to the body and the tailpiece is positioned further back.

Now, onto the full size HB1 repros. They`ve done a great job with these, the sound is very similar to the 70`s HB1`s but I think these repros have a little more mids and bass with a bit less high end sparkle, but not much. There is still that super clarity that you expect from HB1`s.
This guitar sounds so good that I didn`t even miss the phase switch.

This is the first brand new guitar that I`ve owned and any reservations that I had about owning a Korean made guitar have been put to rest. The build and finish are exceptional, but most importantly, the sound and playability is up there with my other U.S made Guilds.

004_zpsagiptfgq.jpg

006_zps2qedaabo.jpg

007_zpsvtp0jw4i.jpg

010_zpsnjerkysf.jpg

Last edited:

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Nice! Noticed the US style TRC! And the original US style toggle switch knob! Looks way more original that way!
Ralf

hagmeat

Reaction score
Nice! Noticed the US style TRC! And the original US style toggle switch knob! Looks way more original that way!
Ralf

Thanks Ralf. The yellow switch tip was unacceptable (hahaha) and that stock TRC made the headstock look too busy.
I think it looks more authentic this way too. Anyway, I've been playing it nearly everyday.
I got a good deal from Sam Ash and I'm very happy with this purchase.

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoa - the new ones have 1 11/16" necks?

I have a feeling that's going to cost me money...

hagmeat

Reaction score
Whoa - the new ones have 1 11/16" necks?

I have a feeling that's going to cost me money...

They are definitely great value for money. I noticed that mine weighs a little bit more than my S100C and S90 but hardly noticable when I'm playing.

Reaction score
Awesome! Black _\m/
Where did you get it from hagmeat? Can't seem to find any dealers down here in Oz.

hagmeat

Reaction score
Awesome! Black _\m/
Where did you get it from hagmeat? Can't seem to find any dealers down here in Oz.

Hey mate, welcome to LTG.
I got mine from Sam Ash Music in the U.S.
The only place I've seen new Guild electrics for sale was a couple of years ago
at The Guitar Lounge in Sydney. They are a Fender dealer and since Fender sold Guild to Cordoba I don't think they stock Guilds anymore. Your best bet would be ebay, reverb or Sam Ash. The first Guild I ever bought (S90) was off ebay from a guy in Melbourne but all my others have been from the U.S. Where are you located ?

Cheers
Rob

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hey mate, welcome to LTG.
I got mine from Sam Ash Music in the U.S.
The only place I've seen new Guild electrics for sale was a couple of years ago
at The Guitar Lounge in Sydney. They are a Fender dealer and since Fender sold Guild to Cordoba I don't think they stock Guilds anymore. Your best bet would be ebay, reverb or Sam Ash. The first Guild I ever bought (S90) was off ebay from a guy in Melbourne but all my others have been from the U.S. Where are you located ?

Cheers
Rob

Awesome Rob! Thanks for the info. I'm Sydney based!

dapmdave

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just have to chime in here...

We just got one of these (in black, too) in at Jacobs Custom Guitars last week. I have to agree with the OP that Guild really nailed it with these pickups. As soon as I played the guitar I immediately noticed how close they came with the HB-1 reissues. Very, very similar to the sweetly aggressive sound of my '71, and the slightly wider neck feels great.

I'm usually not a big fan of imported guitars, but playing the Polara reissue was an eye-opener. Kudos to Guild!