What reissues/models would you like to see in the Newark Street Line?

dbirchett

Reaction score
Since that is where most of the action is these days, if you were advising Cordoba, what would you suggest that they bring out next. This is assuming that the Thunderbird comes to fruition.

What changes would you like to see in existing models?

xilef regnu

Reaction score
Exact copy of this…

studio-still-life-of-a-1963-guild-duane-eddy-deluxe-de-500-guitar-in-picture-id102627164

matsickma

Reaction score
70's era M80, S70 with Guidsby, S300, M65 with two DeA SC pups and Guidsby, 60's era S50 with improved Hagstrum tremer and DeA SC pup, SF3 w/DeA SC.

M

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
70's era M75 Bluesbird, Starfire IV's and V's with HB1's, and finally fix the bridge LB-1 (bumping it up to around 7.8K should do the trick).

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a reissue of the Guild Stratford X350/X375 3 franz pickup equipped Full Hollowbody with the push button pickup selector and an optional Guildsby. I wouldn't care if it was Korean or not, I would buy one of those in a Heartbeat. This should be a relatively easy conversion from the X175 they already have in their lineup. I also agree with Kakerlak's post below this one. They need to put the bridge pickup in it's original lower mounting spot from where it is now on the X175's.

452714f99e9033c673c7dbe445fda7a4.jpg

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'd love to see a proper Dave Gonzalez X-550 reissue, with Franzes and a Bigsby, all the binding, ebony board and the abalone triangles, etc. I feel like they could put this out for under $2k, street price.

[EDIT] And they need to put the bridge pickup back where it belongs if they do this.

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
70's era M80, S70 with Guidsby, S300, M65 with two DeA SC pups and Guidsby, 60's era S50 with improved Hagstrum tremer and DeA SC pup, SF3 w/DeA SC.

M

I think a lot of those are too cheaply had used American to be sold profitably new Korean.

Greg1233

Reaction score
I've been hoping / waiting for a Starfire 12 string in mahogany, HB1's and a harp tailpiece, make them look just like the old ones. They're so close, they have all of the forms and parts, just put them together. I keep watching for a used one in good condition but would definitely buy a new NS issue, cherry or natural mahogany, either one is fine.

Zelja

Reaction score
I think a lot of those are too cheaply had used American to be sold profitably new Korean.
Agreed, which is why I thought the M-75 Aristocrat was a good re-issue & the Thunderbird will be as well, along with the Duane Eddy & the X-350 proposed above. The Dave Gonzalez X-550 or an X-500 would be great too along with a 12 string Starfire (but only if it has a wider board than the original & they fix the bridge mini-hum).

Reaction score
Definitely the M-65 Freshman (just like Keith's), both in Dearmond-style pickups (or the option to mount some), as well as possibly mini-humbuckers, although I'm not too familiar with many that used MH's, just mostly the single-coils. Both an all mahogany version with three Dearmonds (aka Baby Starfire) or maple-top mahogany body version.

...Oh, and possibly the 1961 or 1962 Starfire III, either the single binding or double binding, respectively, plus gold plastic Guild knobs, and nice tuners, and the 'chevron' over "Guild" instead of the 'star' emblem (on pick guard)

By the way, why do most expensive or top-line models (whether Gretsch, Guild, or maybe Gibson) use white binding, but for standard models they use aged/yellow-ish binding?? Doesn't seem fair! Oh alright, some people would pay extra to have the aged banana-pudding binding, but c'mon, what's up with marketing on that? (LOL!)

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
First of all, I agree with Kakerlak. put that X175 lead pickup back where it belongs. On a twin Franz guitar, the twin pickup setting is a beautiful mix of twang and growl, and the lead pickp sitting too far from the bridge really does ruin that. I moved the lead pickup on my own NS 175, and it's much better, and still not shrill or thin.
A DeArmond pickup option on the Starfire, 175 and capri would be nice, M75 too. Bigsby option on the M75, they already make the correct Bigsby for it anyway.

But truthfully, as cool as the NS guitars are for a Korean built guitar built to a low-ish price point, I like them, but I don't love them. I'd like to see US built Guilds that are Hoboken-era inspired like the NS guitars. the NS guitars, as far as I'm concerned, lack a little character. My old Franz equipped guitars are on the brighter end of the spectrum, but they're downright mellow, sweet and round sounding compared to the NS 175 - that one is all hard upper midrange and steely treble.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't even use a tremolo, but I think the S-100 Deluxe and the S-100 Carved are two fo the most sought after versions, and doing limited runs of both would be appreciated.

I would also love to see Guild expand the line to make new creations in the electric arena, much like Ren did with acoustics. Maybe team up with a master electric maker and create a new premium electric series. In my mind's eye, I can see any guild model using primo wood, binding and inlays as a starting point, but I am open to brand new shapes and configurations.

I think the biggest opportunity is in the M-75/Bluesbird family. They can use any number after the letter "M" as long as the crappy DeArmond line didn't take it first.

I also would love to see an american custom shop take on the S-100 featuring "V" blocks and a "G" shield. And please bring back the phase switch!

kakerlak

Reaction score
But truthfully, as cool as the NS guitars are for a Korean built guitar built to a low-ish price point, I like them, but I don't love them. I'd like to see US built Guilds that are Hoboken-era inspired like the NS guitars.

How would you feel about high-end MIJ stuff, like Gretsch has done? Seems like the AP/GSR stuff they tried most recently was awfully expensive, so much so that it had to compete head-to-head with the vintage stuff. That sort of price point probably only works selling high tech archtops to jazz guys who aren't interested in old/traditional models.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
70's era M75 Bluesbird, Starfire IV's and V's with HB1's, and finally fix the bridge LB-1 (bumping it up to around 7.8K should do the trick).

7.25k snarls pretty well. I have a 7.4k rewound pup that barely fits under the pup cover. Needs to go into the T-400.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
How would you feel about high-end MIJ stuff, like Gretsch has done? Seems like the AP/GSR stuff they tried most recently was awfully expensive, so much so that it had to compete head-to-head with the vintage stuff. That sort of price point probably only works selling high tech archtops to jazz guys who aren't interested in old/traditional models.
I don't know, I'd have to play one to see if I liked it. The MIJ Gretsches are pretty well made guitars, but I never played one that I absolutely had to have - I'm not a Filtertron fan at all, so that doesn't help.

You're right about the prices on the AP/GSR stuff. It's something we've discussed a lot in the past on here : the market for a 50's X500 replica at $5000 is going to be pretty limited if you can still get the real thing in pretty good shape for less.