Whitefire? Whitestar?

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I hadn't really paid much attention the the NS offerings so I wasn't aware of this option, but while checking on the Guild offerings on the 'Verb, I came across one of the new Starfire Vs in white. Very striking, we've only seen an occasional custom or refin vintage hollowbody (or semi-) in white.
Not historical, but quite becoming.
http://guildguitars.com/g/starfire-v-in-white/
starfire_v_white_detail_31.jpg

Last edited:

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
That looks a light blonde to me. This looks white (from the link in your post). I'm confused. I spend so much time being confused lately...
starfire_v_white_side.jpg

Edit - less confused now. This (OP's original pic) is from the Natural ST Starfire:

starfire_iv_st_nat_flame_side-1500x630.jpg

So aside from me being a pedantic PITA, I like 'em both! :beguiled:

Last edited:

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Whoops, grabbed the wrong image. (Didn't even notice the lack of a Guildsby.) Fixed my original post.

Last edited:

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
IMO to be successful the Newark Street line needs to be aware of its roots but not a slave to them. Non-historical colors is a good way to do that. I am reminded of Gilded's '66 Starfire bass that was once "refinished" in white Krylon...

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

fronobulax said:
IMO to be successful the Newark Street line needs to be aware of its roots but not a slave to them. Non-historical colors is a good way to do that.

Don't know about the awareness, but I do know that they were done like that!

SFV_White.jpg

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

S100

Reaction score
Guild Total
The White Starfire is really the first Newark Street to make me actually want to get one. It's gorgeous.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
Last Fall, Vintage Guitar Magazine did a three part series on Guild Starfires from the 60's and 70's. In one article they featured a photo of an all girl band from Long Island, "The Simple Noize", with one member playing an all-white Starfire III.

Scroll down to the bottom of the linked page... the third from last photo. (Note: this is not the infamous, all-girl band "The Ladybirds", who also played Guild Starfires!)

http://spoonercentral.com/BANDS/Girls.html

Perhaps someone with better skills than me can lift the photo, and post in this thread.

Bill

gilded

Reaction score
IMO to be successful the Newark Street line needs to be aware of its roots but not a slave to them. Non-historical colors is a good way to do that. I am reminded of Gilded's '66 Starfire bass that was once "refinished" in white Krylon...

Still thumping along, minus the Krylon. It's sitting about 15 feet from me in the case, next to the all-black Bluesbird.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
The Vintage Guitar Magazine article reports that "the all-white Starfire III is from '64 and was almost certainly a Special Order." The article goes on to say that the guitar was equipped with "the smaller, white-plastic, single-coil pickups used on the less expensive T-100 (often referenced today as the 'Mickey Mouse' pickup)." The author ends the first article of the three part series "Guild's Starfire Saga" with... "Special thanks to Hans Moust for his many years of dedicated research on the Guild company."

From the photo (thanks Jason), it looks like the girls had some nice equipment back in '67. I can see a blackface Super Reverb and a blackface Showman/Bandmaster. I can't see what amp the bass player is using, but I like her Hofner Beatle Bass!

Bill

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
I can't see what amp the bass player is using, but I like her Hofner Beatle Bass!

Bill
That's actually a Hofner Club Bass which is arguably just a notch below the white Starfire on the sexy scale! I noticed that right away, since I have a '65 Club Bass.

sailingshoes72

Reaction score
That is a very cool, vintage Bass that you have jp! The Hofner Basses from the '60's are certainly an important part of Rock & Roll history. Looking closely at the photo, I see that the Bass has a Les Paul style body with a single cutaway, instead of the symmetrical violin shape of the 500/1. The girls appear to be using a Bogen "Challenger" sound system PA. That was "standard issue" for aspiring Rock & Roll bands back in the 60's.

Bill