B30 - B50 questions

DCBirdMan

Reaction score
Well I guess this could have gone in the acoustic section also... Just found out about these. Searched up some info, some seems contradictory, so gotta go to The Source where all the kool Guild people hang.

Elemetary questions are

Did B 50 replace the B 30 ? Is one signficantly different?

When did they stop being acoustic only (when were electronics added?

Were any offered fretless (from the start or partway thru)

Thanks,
Guild acoustic bass newbie

also a fast Starfire question... were any of any era fretless?

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
If DC means the Nation's Capital if you PM me nicely we might be able to arrange a meeting and you could play my B50.

I had a nice response typed out but then I had to get out of my chair. As long as I was up I went to the library and about half of what I had said was wrong according to Beesly's book. So I will paraphrase that and maybe someone will have better information.

Hans and Beesly both agree that the B50 was introduced in 1975 and still in production in 1977. Beesley says production ended in 1987 which happens to be when B30s were introduced so I guess "the B30 replaced the B50" is true. The specs are almost identical according to Beesley. The B50 has an arched back. The B30 is 3/8" deeper. The scale lengths are different but I think that is a marketing inconsistency. Sometimes Guild published a 30 1/2" scale and other times they rounded and claimed a 31" scale. Beesley says both had the split bridge but I think at one point the B30 dropped the split bridge and reverted to one piece bridge. (Intonation is potentially better with a split bridge). A transducer was a factory option for both, according to Beesley, so the question about acoustic only is based on an incorrect assumption. Beesley says both were offered with fretless as an option.

Both Moust and Beesley fail to mention a fretless Starfire bass as a factory option.

If you have just found out about the B50/30 let me say that the B50 does one thing very well and that is project in an acoustic only setting. If you are going to run it through a mike, or amplify it or just noodle around because learning bass might be cool, the ergonomics are awkward and there is probably a better bass (even a better Guild) for your purpose.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
in addition the the B-50 & B-30, there is a B-4CE and the New Hartford made B54CE. The B-54CE is long scale. The B-4CE was available fretless. i think with all of them, id plan on plugging into an amp 99 percent of the time. have fun! and welcome to the forum

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
in addition the the B-50 & B-30, there is a B-4CE and the New Hartford made B54CE. The B-54CE is long scale. The B-4CE was available fretless. i think with all of them, id plan on plugging into an amp 99 percent of the time. have fun! and welcome to the forum

Through an amp, my B4C4 was the most versatile of my electrics in terms of the variety of sounds I could get just by adjusting the controls on the guitar. But it is also the bass I gave to my sister because the acoustic performance was inferior to the B50 and in spite of the versatility, it was never going to be my go to electric. The 5 minutes I spent with a B54 reminded me of the B4CE and not the B50.

DCBirdMan

Reaction score
Thanks for all the info. I am around DC but actually that DC stands for Double Cutaway... no joke.

I'm pretty focused on fretless now so unless a fretless B 30/50 showed up... plus they're huge. But will look for a fretless one and just do the B4 scene for now. So much to learn! The split bridge does look like an interesting desgin.

Thanks for the info Going to also check out the derivative models also mentioned here.

If DC means the Nation's Capital if you PM me nicely we might be able to arrange a meeting and you could play my B50.

I had a nice response typed out but then I had to get out of my chair. As long as I was up I went to the library and about half of what I had said was wrong according to Beesly's book. So I will paraphrase that and maybe someone will have better information.

Hans and Beesly both agree that the B50 was introduced in 1975 and still in production in 1977. Beesley says production ended in 1987 which happens to be when B30s were introduced so I guess "the B30 replaced the B50" is true. The specs are almost identical according to Beesley. The B50 has an arched back. The B30 is 3/8" deeper. The scale lengths are different but I think that is a marketing inconsistency. Sometimes Guild published a 30 1/2" scale and other times they rounded and claimed a 31" scale. Beesley says both had the split bridge but I think at one point the B30 dropped the split bridge and reverted to one piece bridge. (Intonation is potentially better with a split bridge). A transducer was a factory option for both, according to Beesley, so the question about acoustic only is based on an incorrect assumption. Beesley says both were offered with fretless as an option.

Both Moust and Beesley fail to mention a fretless Starfire bass as a factory option.

If you have just found out about the B50/30 let me say that the B50 does one thing very well and that is project in an acoustic only setting. If you are going to run it through a mike, or amplify it or just noodle around because learning bass might be cool, the ergonomics are awkward and there is probably a better bass (even a better Guild) for your purpose.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild made some fantastic fretless long scale solid bodies, the B-301 & B-302, and the Pilot. several variations of each. I may have even seen a 5 string fretless Pilot. the B-301 and B-302 have the black Guild pickups thet are highly regarded.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
also we left out one acoustic the cutaway B-500 (rare, Grot has one). i doubt youll find a fretless one though

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score