Big-Al Checking Back In

Big-Al

Reaction score
Hi group. It's been a while. I no longer have access to my old password so I created a new member ID. I was Big-Al. Now I'm "Al of Big".

I'm still enjoying the GAD50 I got when I traded off my Larrivee last May and the D-125 from the Sweetwater GAD blowout from last fall. No GAS symptoms. I really do think I'm otherwise set for guitars. Very strange.

Anyway, hello from me. I still lurk once in a while, so please keep up the interesting discourse!

Peace,

Al of Big

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hi Al of big ! ;)
I think there comes a point when some of us just decide when found decent enough tone to sadate are needs . I've never been a collector type and not a pro player so I don't need thirty guitars to choose from I have a feeling even I did I'd only be playing a select few .

Anyway I'm interested , you traded a Lavarriee ? My mind screams "what's wrong with you !" Lol

But I'm not up on all the models but folks sure do go on about them so may I ask what you did not like about it ? Just curious:)

Neal

Reaction score
Just give Al a little time to re-acclimate, folks. GAS is insidious. It hides, and bides its time, awaiting the perfect time to strike...

Big-Al

Reaction score
Hi Al of big ! ;)
I think there comes a point when some of us just decide when found decent enough tone to sadate are needs . I've never been a collector type and not a pro player so I don't need thirty guitars to choose from I have a feeling even I did I'd only be playing a select few .

Anyway I'm interested , you traded a Lavarriee ? My mind screams "what's wrong with you !" Lol

But I'm not up on all the models but folks sure do go on about them so may I ask what you did not like about it ? Just curious:)

I've actually owned three Larrivee guitars over the years. They recorded well, but they weren't perfect. My most recent one was an L-03 made of Australian silver oak (grevillea robusta). The wood was very pretty, but I tend to play with a strong right hand and that guitar seemed to respond better to a more nuanced touch. The fairly flat fretboard didn't feel good to me either . . . and the guitar was sort of quiet. One of the other guitar-ers in the church group I play in always had his eye on my Larrivee guitars. He had a GAD-50 and we'd sometimes swap guitars at rehearsals. He plays with a light touch and loved the Larrivee. The Guild rosewood dread responded much better to my more aggressive playing. Eventually we decided on a permanent trade involving a little extra cash from him. We both now have guitars that suit us better.

Was the Larrivee L-03 a "better" guitar? It was more expensive and it was made in North America . . . but both the Larry and the Guild are all-solid wood. The Chinese Guild has a gloss finish, nicer bindings, nicer inlays, better tuners, a more comfortable neck, more consistent fret-work, and a nicer case. It has a fuller sound and no odd sounding notes. The Guild was made on a different continent by people who probably don't speak English. They're probably really nice people though, and they seem to know a thing or two about guitars.

Just give Al a little time to re-acclimate, folks. GAS is insidious. It hides, and bides its time, awaiting the perfect time to strike...

Maybe my absence from forum-ing helped too.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Many people don't make that distinction between "better" and "more expensive". Sometimes they're one and the same. Sometimes, not. Welcome back Al. If you PM a moderator I'm sure you can get your old profile back, I'd bet. :encouragement:

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Was the Larrivee L-03 a "better" guitar? It was more expensive and it was made in North America . . . but both the Larry and the Guild are all-solid wood. The Chinese Guild has a gloss finish, nicer bindings, nicer inlays, better tuners, a more comfortable neck, more consistent fret-work, and a nicer case. It has a fuller sound and no odd sounding notes. The Guild was made on a different continent by people who probably don't speak English. They're probably really nice people though, and they seem to know a thing or two about guitars.

This is good to hear Big Al, glad you are back. Hope all is well!

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I've actually owned three Larrivee guitars over the years. They recorded well, but they weren't perfect. My most recent one was an L-03 made of Australian silver oak (grevillea robusta). The wood was very pretty, but I tend to play with a strong right hand and that guitar seemed to respond better to a more nuanced touch. The fairly flat fretboard didn't feel good to me either . . . and the guitar was sort of quiet. One of the other guitar-ers in the church group I play in always had his eye on my Larrivee guitars. He had a GAD-50 and we'd sometimes swap guitars at rehearsals. He plays with a light touch and loved the Larrivee. The Guild rosewood dread responded much better to my more aggressive playing. Eventually we decided on a permanent trade involving a little extra cash from him. We both now have guitars that suit us better.

Maybe my absence from forum-ing helped too.

so its older Gad ? I kind of think those where a tad better models wooding binding on it ? oh pics ? ... I think I'm just surprised about the Lavarrie , thats one brand I have got my hands on yet hence my questions :)

I wish I had my F130ce still LOL

since I never proved I had one heres a pic of my ugly mug with it ....
me%20and%20the%20guild.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Big-Al

Reaction score
Yes, the GAD 50 is from the first series with wood bindings. The D-125 is from the second run with less bling, but that just makes it look more like an older D25. I posted pics and sound clips back in the day. If you look up my old posts, you'll probably see they were once there . . . but the links probably don't work anymore. Apologies abound.

And . . . nice looking guitar there Ray! Looks like you were enjoying it!

Last edited: