Happy Birthday Mr. Dylan.....

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
Today, as I traveled down the street named after him, past the high school and the home that he grew up in, I had a heightened sense of awareness and appreciation for his contributions to our musical world.

Happy 75th Bob!

Also, I wondered about, how many times do you think a BD tune has been played on a Guild over the past 55 years?

Westerly Wood

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am guessing a lot!
I forget the name of his big tour there in the 80s, but Tom Petty and the Hbreakers were the backing band :)

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the overall total but I know that I've played a ton on my own Guilds and lesser brands over the past 46 years!!
Happy B'day BD!

Thanks for the post, Terry!��

Joe

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I remember taking an English class in high school with a young female teacher in the '70's and dissecting "Subterranean Homesick Blues"! Much better than Shakespeare!

Happy Birthday!

Edit - today's paper has an article about him covering the "Great American Songbook" ion his last album, and how people are sort of implying he should be writing his own stuff. His rely was great - "I'm not covering them, I'm uncovering them".

walrus

Last edited:

rampside

Reaction score
Guild Total
One of the things you should know about BD on his 75th birthday: Dylan's lyrics have been popular in U.S. legal opinions and briefs written by judges and lawyers. According to a 2007 study, Dylan lyrics were cited 186 times compared with 74 by the Beatles, who were runners-up.:cool:

CA-35

Reaction score
WXPN 88.5 out of Philadelphia is playing Dylan songs all day long.

My favorite Dylan song is "Isis"

Happy B-Day Robert Allen, a 100 more.

Bikerdoc

Reaction score
What I find amazing is that Bob never lived (experienced) all that he sung about yet so easily conveyed the human condition in his works. Take Hollis Brown for example. The numbers of artist who played or recorded his songs is a testament to his genius. Happy Birthday Bob and thanks for Motorpsycho Nightmare.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I am guessing a lot!
I forget the name of his big tour there in the 80s, but Tom Petty and the Hbreakers were the backing band :)

From his Wiki page:
"In 1986 and 1987, Dylan toured with Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, sharing vocals with Petty on several songs each night. Dylan also toured with the Grateful Dead in 1987, resulting in a live album Dylan & The Dead. This received negative reviews: Allmusic said, "Quite possibly the worst album by either Bob Dylan or the Grateful Dead."

Dylan then initiated what came to be called the Never Ending Tour on June 7, 1988, performing with a back-up band featuring guitarist G. E. Smith. Dylan continued to tour with a small, evolving band for the next 20 years.[193]"
Nuthin' like a little brutal criticism to lighten up a day, eh?
And don't forget how he managed to squeeze some time with the Traveling Wilburys between '88 and '90...

geoguy

Reaction score
I sometimes appreciate other musicians' interpretations of Dylan songs, at least as much as the original versions. Here's one example, from Bill Kirchen:

Oh, & Happy B-day, Mr. Zimmerman. :eek:range:

Last edited:

DaveinRI

Reaction score
I always had a fondness for the Traveling Wilburys. Happy B-day Bob and miss you George and Roy[video]http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=traveling+wilburys&&view=detail&mid=3C982AED1F8446E828783C982AED1F8446E82878&FORM=VRDGAR[/video]

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I sometimes appreciate other musicians' interpretations of Dylan songs, at least as much as the original versions.

Me too.
In particular I like Hendrix's cover of "The Drifter's Escape" which apparently is so obscure I can't even find a youtube of it to link here, but it was recorded during the Rainbow Bridge/Cry Of Love sessions in '70, not released until '74, on the import-only Loose Ends, and re-released on South Saturn Delta a few years back.

Last edited:

guitarslinger

Reaction score
I love Dylan's music. My favorites are just about anything I don't have to listen to him sing live. At least nowadays. Memorably awful live performer.