Just another disaster.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
4. There is an unpleasant polyurethane odor when you open the case - every time you open the case.
Dang, always a fly in the ointment! That would bug me a lot too.
Afraid only fix is going to be airing it out for at least a couple of months, maybe even years, no joke.
Keeping it in closed case is going to slow down the osmotic process which leaches out the fumes: molecules tend to migrate from areas of greater concentration to areas of lower concentration..so in a closed case they have nowhere to go.
I'm sure baking soda would help (suggested because it's non-toxic and I don't think it could react with polyurethane, I don't think anything but a strong acid or alkali will), but would have to leave it you to figure out how to use/package it so it has max absorbing properties but not be mess to clean up. The more surface area exposed the better it will soak up fumes, but can't think of an in-case container that will support the mission, unless you just want to shake it in there (the case) and vacuum out a few times...
A new guitar should give the owner, a really nice smell. Open one of the Yamaha APx classical cases.
Are those NCL finished? You may recall the semi-humorous thread about smelling our guitars, and the variations of NCL "flavors".
My F65ce still has an aroma by the way, and it's ALWAYS stored in case, so there's more evidence about how much case storage slows down odor diffusion.
Nobody would buy a new car that smelled like polyurethane for example.
I don't even let 'em put those little air fresheners in 'em in the car wash.
The Koreans need to get their act together on that.
Just as soon as they can tear themselves away from the K-Pop TV shows.
:highly_amused:

Last edited:

marcellis

Reaction score
Dang, always a fly in the ointment! That would bug me a lot too.
Afraid only fix is going to be airing it out for at least a couple of months, maybe even years, no joke.
Keeping it in closed case is going to slow down the osmotic process which leaches out the fumes: molecules tend to migrate from areas of greater concentration to areas of lower concentration..so in a closed case they have nowhere to go.
I'm sure baking soda would help (suggested because it's non-toxic and I don't think it could react with polyurethane, I don't think anything but a strong acid or alkali will), but would have to leave it you to figure out how to use/package it so it has max absorbing properties but not be mess to clean up. The more surface area exposed the better it will soak up fumes, but can't think of an in-case container that will support the mission, unless you just want to shake it in there (the case) and vacuum out a few times...

Are those NCL finished? You may recall the semi-humorous thread about smelling our guitars, and the variations of NCL "flavors".
My F65ce still has an aroma by the way, and it's ALWAYS stored in case, so there's more evidence about how much case storage slows down odor diffusion.

I don't even let 'em put those little air fresheners in 'em in the car wash.

Just as soon as they can tear themselves away from the K-Pop TV shows.
:highly_amused:

I've been on the road a lot this month. I just spent a week in Vegas at a convention.
Nice town Davisman. I really liked Vegas. I'm not a drinker or a gambler. But i still liked it a lot.

I'll see if the case still smells when I get back to Louisiana.
This is not important. The SF 3 looks and smells fantastic. But it's an aggravation.
I don't like opening the case and smelling poly-urethane.

I hated buying an MIK Guild too. But at least it's not MIC. I never buy Chinese products, if I have any choice.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This is not important. The SF 3 looks and smells fantastic. But it's an aggravation.
I don't like opening the case and smelling poly-urethane.
Ah, if it's only the case it's probably only the glue and should air out quickly if you leave the case open.
Enjoy your visit!

Reaction score
I would think the smell is in the case. I had a Gretsch professional series Duo Jet and the case smelled like vanilla which many people think is the NCL but the Gretsch was poly coated. A couple of my new Gibsons had the same smell in the case too.
Thanks John

marcellis

Reaction score
I would think the smell is in the case. I had a Gretsch professional series Duo Jet and the case smelled like vanilla which many people think is the NCL but the Gretsch was poly coated. A couple of my new Gibsons had the same smell in the case too.
Thanks John

I've been told the NS Guild electrics are made in the same factory as the MIK GRETSCH electrics.

Last edited: