Late 90s Guild Starfire lll Floating Bridge Replacement "HELP".

Reaction score
Hello, I have a late 90s Guild Starfire lll made in Westerly RI and I have decided I need more control over intonation. I have the original Metal Bridge. It has the compensated G for an unwound string. I am thinking about picking up a roller bridge or a tune-o-matic type bridge, like is being used with the newer Starfire lll. I don't plan to pin it, but the ability to set individual string intonation is awesome! Does anybody know which model I could buy, or what I can do, with minimal issue, that maintains string spacing, etc? I really need advise, and I am hoping that I don't need to contour the base and can find something that will simply be perfect; meaning switch out the new one. I will still adjust where it sits on the body, based on math, then setup fine adjustments with the intonation screws. Any help or insight would be very helpful! Thanks in advance. Tomm

marcellis

Reaction score
Dunno, sorry. But that metal bridge, sitting unattached on the movable Rosewood bridge has me concerned too.
I've never dealt with one before. My big Jazzbox only has a wooden Rosewood bridge. Intonation is always true on it.

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Any regular quality tune-a-matic style bridge on a rosewood base will probably work. I don't think you'll find a base that doesn't need contouring at all - having a bridge base really fit to the top of the guitar makes a lot of difference. Go to a good set up guy you trust, not a big job.

parker_knoll

Reaction score
contouring the base is easy. you fix a piece of sandpaper across the top - rough side up, of course :) - then rub the bridge over it to get the curvature

check Stew Mac, there's lots available. if the spacing is right it may even fit on your existing aluminium base - better sound IMO

Reaction score
You could consider a Compton Compensated bridge. It's a solid piece of metal that is curved to give you intonation. When it comes to tone I don't like bridges with moving parts! The Compton website has a simple process to get the right bridge for your guitar. Lots of Gretsch guys using them. Work well with Bigsbys.