2014 s-100?

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
Hi All- A local shop has one of the above guitars still "new" in stock, selling it off at $499. From what I've read around here this seems to be a darn good deal on these, but I'm curious about the year. I recall reading( but can't find it again) someone suspecting that the 2015 pickup changes were likely to be a significant improvement. Can anyone confirm this?

I'm tempted to pull the trigger on this, but am hesitant because of the above question, as well as the fact that if I buy it there's no way I'll be able to afford a Thunderbird....

hagmeat

Reaction score
Hi amnicon,
The 2014 S100 will most probably have the mini humbuckers. I haven't tried one so I can't comment on those pickups.
Maybe the easiest way to know is to go in and try it. If you like it, buy it.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Judging by my new T-bird and my '71 S-100—very similar guitars acoustically—the smaller LB-1 pickups will give you less midrange emphasis than a set of HB-1s in the same guitar. If you're looking for a rawk guitar you might miss that extra HB-1 push. Otherwise I think the LB-1s are terrific, oddly-wound bridge pickup & all. They've got clarity with (IMO) just enough bite and just enough oomph to work for lotsa different playing styles & sounds.

-Dave-

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
The only mini-hums I've played were in 2Nevets' S200 and they were chimey and sweet in all sorts of great ways, none of which most of us associate with S100s or the SG genre.

If you're not hunting for a specific tone, I'd say go for it. If you're looking for that Soundgarden sound, hold out for HB1s.

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
Thanks, folks. Sounds like I may prefer the sound of the HB-1. Maybe I'll get lucky and they'll get a T-Bird in stock before selling off the S-100 and I can A/B them.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Just to note: the T-bird has LB-1 pickups, so it oughta sound similar to the earlier NS S-100s.

-Dave-

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Amnicon, does that price include a hard case? and is it plus tax?

im going to be selling off a NOS (new old stock) Gibson USA SG "J" with all the paperwork, factory gig bag and also the factory Gibson USA (expensive) hard shell case. everything is brand new old stock. its from 2013 or 2014. the guitar has 2 "Duncan Designed" humbuckers that are in the range of the '59 Seymour Duncan/SD-1 sound. if you are interested let me know, i was going to post it on this forum a little closer to holiday season for about the price of a used or blow-out Newark Street S-100 (with the case). it is the faded cherry red. ill post it here in the FS section in the next few days if there is any interest.

it does seem like you are shopping locally and able to try the Guild(s) at your local shop, which is always the best way to do it if possible. just mentioning my SG as a possible alternative.

amnicon

Reaction score
Guild Total
Just to note: the T-bird has LB-1 pickups, so it oughta sound similar to the earlier NS S-100s.

Yea, thanks. I looked up the specs again this afternoon. I'm not sure why I was thinking the Thunderbird had the HB-1.

Amnicon, does that price include a hard case? and is it plus tax?

im going to be selling off a NOS (new old stock) Gibson USA SG "J" with all the paperwork, factory gig bag and also the factory Gibson USA (expensive) hard shell case. everything is brand new old stock. its from 2013 or 2014. the guitar has 2 "Duncan Designed" humbuckers that are in the range of the '59 Seymour Duncan/SD-1 sound. if you are interested let me know, i was going to post it on this forum a little closer to holiday season for about the price of a used or blow-out Newark Street S-100 (with the case). it is the faded cherry red. ill post it here in the FS section in the next few days if there is any interest.

it does seem like you are shopping locally and able to try the Guild(s) at your local shop, which is always the best way to do it if possible. just mentioning my SG as a possible alternative.

That was the price pre-tax, and I didn't even notice if it came with a hard case or a gigbag, I guess I assumed the latter. They had it marked as a "garage sale price", perhaps as it's been sitting a while.
I'd be intrigued to look, as those faded finishes on those look great, but to be honest I'm more likely to buy a T-Bird, and that'll be my budget for a while.