Thunderbass Production Numbers

Reaction score
Finally found a Thunderbass head earlier this year and just finished rebuilding it. Perfect home rig because of low wattage. Stoked to use it on recording here soon too! Main question, does anyone have any idea on how many were produced? I have the OG one, not the Quantum. Any info would be appreciated, thanks!

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
OG? Not sure what you mean. There were two versions of the T-Bass. One had 6L6 tubes and one had 8417 tubes. There is no production numbers on any of the Guild amps. :-(

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
OG means original, or more specifically, "original gangsta!"

welcome, i have the same amp. the thunderbass I. they made tons of them, compared to other Guild amps. not sure how many though.

Reaction score
Haha, yeah I just meant the original, non-Quantum. It came stock with 8417's but after checking voltages and everything, I don't think it was meant for them, haha. I really wanna get my hands on a Quantum now. Yeah, I haven't had any luck finding numbers. I barely see them pop up and had been searching for one for two years, haha.

Super Moderator
Platinum Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
If the plate voltage is around 400 volts, that is the Thunderbass 1A. Should be 50 watts. The voltage on the plates and bias are lower than the 6L6 version. The Quantum Thunderbass runs 530 volts on the plates.

matsickma

Reaction score
There are two versions of the Quantum Thunderbass. The earlier model which looked identical to a Thunderbass used 8417's. It had a metal foil label applied to the upper right corner of the face plate that said "Quantum".
The later version used a pair of 6550's and came in a slightly bigger head cabinet. It used the faceplate of the Thunderbass and had the preamp section attached to it. The power amp and power supply section was a separate metal housing mounted inside the head cabinet.

I've always been amazed at how loud the 6550 head was.

M

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
someone has one on ebay now, the cabinet has a badge that says "Thunderbass 1A Deluxe," looks like it has the 2X15s and is black tolex. I have the Thunderbass 1 with 8417s, and 2x12s in the tan cab/brown grillcolth. its a 1967. i replaced the speakers with 2 new Eminences and it is much better than with the old Oxfords.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Not having the Guild cab, I run my 8417 T-bass into a Hartke 4x10. Loud enough to keep up with guitars, PA, and drums in a small auditorium.

bullet67

Reaction score
I just bought a 8417 mint with cover head with the metal thing to attach to the cab and I am about to buy a not so minty cab for it but needs the two screw things. Any one now if there is a good substitute that will work ? I'm tired of playing it upside down lol. :gorilla: