S-100 Polara neck profile?

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
I've been on the hunt lately for an SG or something similar, but I just can't seem to get on with Gibby necks for the most part, especially on a Les Paul; there's a flatness to the back of the profile on the examples I've played that I just don't find comfortable.
In my hunt for something different, I came across the Polara S-100, and it seems to tick the major boxes: sound (at least from the demos I've seen), it's from a reputable maker, and reviews all seem to agree that the fit and finish are excellent. Since starting my research, I haven't been able to get my mind off of it. Bummer is, I can't find one locally in a store to try. There are a few Guild dealers near me that have some acoustics, but none of the solidbodies.
Like I said though, some neck profiles just aren't comfortable for me, so that's the last question I want to answer before pulling the trigger on a great deal I came across online. I'd really appreciate any feedback you could provide on the neck. I currently play a Fender Telecaster with their "Classic C" neck that fills my hand nicely, and a Gretsch Electromatic that seems to sit somewhere in between the Fender profile and the Les Paul. Can anyone compare the Fender or Gretsch to the Guild profile from experience? How do Guild electrics compare to their acoustics with regards to neck profile and feel?
Thank you for your feedback.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG! What S-100 version do you talk about? The new Newark St. S-100 ? Make sure you get the new version with HB-1 (full size humbuckers) and not the earlier one with the narrower LB-1 Mini-Humbuckers. The HB-1 has two screws for height and tilt adjustment on the bass side of the pickups, the LB-1 has just one screw for height adjustment.
A Newark St. S-100 owner will answer soon for sure about the neck profile.
Rald

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG! What S-100 version do you talk about? The new Newark St. S-100 ? Make sure you get the new version with HB-1 (full size humbuckers) and not the earlier one with the narrower LB-1 Mini-Humbuckers. The HB-1 has two screws for height and tilt adjustment on the bass side of the pickups, the LB-1 has just one screw for height adjustment.
A Newark St. S-100 owner will answer soon for sure about the neck profile.
Rald

Thank you for the welcome!
The one I'm looking at is advertised as the Newark St. with the HB-1's, but the picture on the site shows just a single adjustment screw on each side. I'll need to clarify that with the seller, thank you for the heads-up; hopefully it's just a stock photo they're using and the description is accurate.
I'm looking forward to hearing from someone that can answer my neck profile questions as I'm very ready to pull the trigger on it.

hagmeat

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG Mr.Lumbergh.
If you like the classic "C" profile neck I`d say that you would like the neck profile of an S100. Guild describes it as a vintage soft "U" profile on their website.
I`d describe it as a "C" shape neck rather than a "D" profile. The guild acoustics that I have played have had the same neck profile as the electrics that I own.
Cheers
Rob

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
Welcome to LTG Mr.Lumbergh.
If you like the classic "C" profile neck I`d say that you would like the neck profile of an S100. Guild describes it as a vintage soft "U" profile on their website.
I`d describe it as a "C" shape neck rather than a "D" profile. The guild acoustics that I have played have had the same neck profile as the electrics that I own.
Cheers
Rob
Mate that's perfect, thank you.
I may just have to go ahead and pull the trigger this weekend.

Mr. Lumbergh

Reaction score
Well, I was able to get touch with the seller, and it's the older version with the mini-hums in it. So, I didn't pull the trigger on this one, but will keep looking. Hopefully it won't be too much longer until I become a proper member. :smile: