Recommend me: sub-$400 acoustic guitar amp

crank

Reaction score
I had a HRD for several years. Great clean tone and it does take pedals well, but any tube amp is going to color the tone of your acoustic guitar. If you are good with that the HRD is a really good amp and you may be able to find one for $400. I switched to a smaller Blues JR because I wanted something lighter for hauling around to jams and gigs.

I often play my Acoustic through a PA and run it through my multi efx pedal where I have a volume pedal, distortion, delay, etc... Electric effects work fine with an electric acoustic. Go to youtube and listen to Rob Butler Trio.

Have you thought about getting a small PA instead of an amp?

Errant Tiger

Reaction score
I had a HRD for several years. Great clean tone and it does take pedals well, but any tube amp is going to color the tone of your acoustic guitar. If you are good with that the HRD is a really good amp and you may be able to find one for $400. I switched to a smaller Blues JR because I wanted something lighter for hauling around to jams and gigs.

I often play my Acoustic through a PA and run it through my multi efx pedal where I have a volume pedal, distortion, delay, etc... Electric effects work fine with an electric acoustic. Go to youtube and listen to Rob Butler Trio.

Have you thought about getting a small PA instead of an amp?

Thanks for the recs, but if you look at my last post you'll see I found a small amp I really love (apart from some wicked hiss on the reverb). I didn't really think about a PA because the amp I found seems like it'll work really well for my electric, if I ever pick that up again.

guildman63

Reaction score
Can you turn the reverb off and use a good reverb pedal instead? Probably cheaper than other options.

Errant Tiger

Reaction score
Can you turn the reverb off and use a good reverb pedal instead? Probably cheaper than other options.

I could, though I don't currently have a reverb pedal and I'm a little loath to buy one, since the amp's 'verb sounds good other than the hiss.

Errant Tiger

Reaction score
So a little over a year later and the bloom is off the rose and I no longer love this amp - realizing that it's not nearly as good at handling guitar/voice at the same time, and thinking maybe I'll start browsing around for a proper acoustic amp. I'll be revisiting the amps already mentioned, but also I found this listed at a local shop:

https://www.birdhousemusic.com/collections/amps/products/genz-benz-shenandoah-jr-acoustic-amplifier

I saw some love for other Shenandoahs; any thoughts about this one?

Also, some friends played through an Acoustasonic 90 this weekend, and while I didn't care for the SFX I tried last year, this one sounded pretty good...

Any thoughts, as always, are welcome!