Dv's compared to D55

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
This most likely been covered just where to find it ? Lol
Or just start a again , so what might be the tonal differences between the DV models me not knowing all the options/build vrs the D55's or how they compare to any D model ?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
This most likely been covered just where to find it ? Lol
Or just start a again , so what might be the tonal differences between the DV models me not knowing all the options/build vrs the D55's or how they compare to any D model ?

Ray, in a nutshell the first thing to consider is that D55's had slight differences in build formula over the years and there are several DV models as well. So it's hard to truly compare apples to apples without narrowing it down some.
The last time somebody asked about D55 vs D50 , some folks mentioned hearing their D55s as "brighter", and I suspect that would carry over to the most common DV, the DV52, which was based on the D50.
DV's were the result of "years of research into tuning the tops and bodies to achieve a vintage sound", the formula included sanded down backs and sides, scalloped braces, and lightweight necks, and this formula became the basic blueprint for the Guild Nashville Custom shop models when it formally opened in '97. They were looking for resonance.
Anyway, that'll getcha started on the basics of "DV's" and I'm sure lotsa folks'll be happy to give their specific comparison reviews

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I am on the road in San Diego for a soccer tournament, so can't answer in depth (definitely lacking in phone typing skills). I've previously posted comparisons of my westerly d50, d55, dv73, and dv72 mk , and can comment more and include my second dv72 when I get back to a computer. At some level, I think individual variation will outweigh model differences. Cheers!

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys , so I'm just rubbing my head hear , D55's brighter the D50 ? But are not the D50's considered the Bluegrass models ? From my end which is always wrong lol I figured the Bluegrass models would have loads more punch and brightness just by the name to the D55 I would think it carry over the same intent except a step up maybe more do at keeping up with a more modern sound as built per era . That's just me silly thinking lol

The DV's being designed for the old school sound ? Help me out here most older designs in reading and playing seem to be dryer more woody so when I read resonance that kind of made me do an about face .

But I'll have to revisit my research lol

More on the DV's would they not have higher grade woods ?

I guess there scallop bracing is tuned differently then the D55 ? What about bracing patterns ?

Hmm so tuning the tops would mean that many had different thicknesses right ?

Very interesting . ;)

keith7940236

Reaction score
It's hard to describe the differences specifically for me as there are a lot of variables between the guitars in terms of years, woods, ect. To my ear, however, the D-55 generally seems to have a "brighter sound", I don't think that it has the same resonance as the DV series. I'm going just by my experience, YMMV.
My DV62 has a very nice, rich bass, and really reminds me very much of a Martin HD-28 when played with a "bluegrass" lean. I think that the DV may be a more versatile guitar than either the D-50 or the D-55. Of course, a lot of it has to do with the player, technique, strings, etc.

I've seen people who could make just about any guitar sound great. I, on the other hand, have the uncanny ability to make any guitar sound average!!!!

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I were to rank the five rosewood guild dreads I have owned/do own (see my Sig for list) on a scale of brightness/warmth they would rank: brightest D-50, DV-73, DV-72, D-55, DV72MK warmest.

If I ranked by complexity and overtones, it would be : (less complex) D-50, DV-73, DV-72, D-55, DV-72MK (most complex).

If I ranked by power/projection (least to most, but differences are minor): DV-73, D-55, DV-72 MK, D-50, DV-72.

If I ranked them for sustain (least to most): D-50, DV-72, DV-73, D-55, DV-72MK.

Some of the differences are subtle. Some are very noticeable... But there are as much differences between my two DV-72s as there are between the other models...

There are descriptions and links to images of the different bracing patterns found on all my dreads in my LTG blog... Don't know how to link from my phone, so click the blog tab at the top of the LTG home.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks Keith . Gardman , very interesting as my thoughts that the D50 being a bluegrass titled model would stand out a tad .

I guess trying to understand what each model was more or less trying to represent tonely .

I read some back threads about the DV's
V = Vintage
Still not found specific info on the above tone side .
I'm still hanging on the tuned tops only because to me it would indicate that no two guitars are the same (duh ) we know that from standard production builds but in this case I would think the differences would very noticeable from one guitar to the next .

I checked out what vids I can find and knowing how poor audio is done there was only one Dv62 it sounded ok then the guy started singing ....
Some DV 52's which where very average sounding even blue picksy ( I messed that up didn't I lol ) sorry though his playing is very good .
A Dv72 and older gent was finger picking had some decent audio and the overtones and clarity , Bass sounded very good .
Ahhhhh why is good audio and comparisons so hard to find O'l cruel world lol
Ok the investagation goes on !

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Remember Ray, Any D50 Bluegrass or just for reference D40 Bluegrass made at Tacoma or New Hartford has an Adirondack Top where as most all of the others as well as D50 Standards have Sitka Tops. It really comes down to the Guitar and what it was made of as well as where it was made that adds to the tone spectrum. A D50 from Westerly and a D50 from Corona may be made of the same woods but may sound completely different due to the way they were built. Some of my Corona guitars are heavier built than others. Same goes for any model made from Tacoma through New Hartford as they all have Scalloped Red Spruce bracing where Corona and earlier had Sitka Bracing that was sometimes scalloped. The model also got progressively lighter through the Tacoma through New Hartford years lending to more resonance "out of the box" so to say.

The differences go for D55's as well. The construction materials and designs changed over the years and Manufacturing places. A D55 from Westerly isn't going to sound the same as one from Tacoma or later due to different build techniques, Lightness of build, and design differences. The D55-RS I just picked up that was built towards the end of the New Hartford period adds another wrinkle to the mix with it being one of 3 D55's that they built with Adirondack Tops which had never been done before. I know it all sounds confusing but if you think about it that means there are more tonal options out there within a specified range of models which is a good thing for the diversity of different players.

Hope this Helps!

TX

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Yeah thanks I considered all the above but only considered the Aldi top on the bluegrass not Sitka oops lol
D55 Aldi top now you have my attention lol

The DV's were made at how many locations ? I thought one .... I read then I forget :( lol

I'm not a fan of none scalloped braced guitars all the DV's are yes ?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DV 52's, 62's, 72's, and 73's were made in Westerly only although their design was used in the Nashville Custom Shop as well. The DV's are supposed to be all Scalloped Sitka Bracing where as the D50 Bluegrass from Tacoma and New Hartford had Scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce bracing.

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The first DVs originated in Westerly, then Tacoma, then MIM (Mexico). I'm not sure if they were made during the Corona-era. And be careful about the model designations (DV-4 or DV-6 that is) as the DV series never seemed cast in stone, spec-wise.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
DV 52's, 62's, 72's, and 73's were made in Westerly only although their design was used in the Nashville Custom Shop as well. The DV's are supposed to be all Scalloped Sitka Bracing where as the D50 Bluegrass from Tacoma and New Hartford had Scalloped Adirondack Red Spruce bracing.

TX

I'd almost prefer Sitka bracing as per my Intel to Adirondack bracing tends to lessen or dull the highs and or mids .
Not sure why , seems contradictory but from what I gather Aldi tops with Aldi bracing may not be a choice tone depending what your going for .

I beleive a vid buy Mr. Collens speaks if it ?

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
The first DVs originated in Westerly, then Tacoma, then MIM (Mexico). I'm not sure if they were made during the Corona-era. And be careful about the model designations (DV-4 or DV-6 that is) as the DV series never seemed cast in stone, spec-wise.

Right now I'm interested in Keith's Dv62 unless someone beats me to it ... Anyone ? Lol

wileypickett

Reaction score
Also bear in mind that half (OK, slight exaggeration) the guitars Guild made were called "Bluegrass" models at one time or another!

Correct me if I'm wrong, but calling certain models "Bluegrass" doesn't seem to have meant anything in terms of how they were made -- a "Bluegrass" D-40 was the same as a regular ol' D-40, right? Same with the other so-called "Bluegrass" models (how many were there?!).

So for all intents and purposes you can ignore the "Bluegrass" moniker.

My D50 and my DV72 sound different but I couldn't begin to say how they sound different.

If you're looking to narrow your search based on the feedback you get here, the only thing I'd put any stock in is that every Guild IS different -- often the same models from the same factory made in the same year will sound and feel different.

As many others before me have suggested, you should simply try to play as many guitars as you can lay your hands on till you find one that you can't live without.

Last edited:

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I hear ya wiley , they really did call lots of models bluegrass .. That's disappointing never knew that .
You have a D50 and DV 72 and you can't say what's different ?
Maybe time for camp fire and a few beers wishing I was with you to share the fun in comparing the two ;)

wileypickett

Reaction score
You have a D50 and DV 72 and you can't say what's different ?

I'm impressed by GardMan's ranking of his Guild dreads. I find it very hard to describe how a guitar sounds.

GM mostly avoids emotional descriptors, terms like "warm" -- that's a friendly enough word, but it doesn't tell me anything -- really -- about how a guitar sounds.

But even an non-emotional word like "projection." If a guitar doesn't project quite how I like, I compensate for it by playing a little harder, usually without even knowing I'm doing it.

The one thing most Guilds have in common -- the thing that makes me a Guild fan over the other brands -- is that they're "punchy." By that I mean they have a sharp attack and a quick decay, and each string is clear. This really suits syncopated finger-style playing, at least for me. The notes don't linger in the guitar for long (often making for a muddy sound) and there's clarity between strings so I don't have to worry about hitting certain strings harder in order to make them ring out.

For me the punchiest Guild's are the ones I favor.

Another term is "complexity." What that means as a quality a guitar has -- well, that's something I've come to recognize when I hear it, but it took me years to know what complexity meant. My most interesting six-string guitar, complexity-wise, is still that JV72. When I'm really wrapped up in something I'm playing on that guitar, I often think I hear my phone ringing or the doorbell -- there are overtones (or something) that don't seem to be coming from the guitar.

Occasionally I get that weird sense of the music "coming from somewhere else" on my 12-strings, but the JV72 is the only six-string where that happens, and I have more than a dozen Guild six-strings and have probably owned twice that many so I have some basis for comparison.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'm impressed by GardMan's ranking of his Guild dreads. I find it very hard to describe how a guitar sounds.

GM mostly avoids emotional descriptors, terms like "warm" -- that's a friendly enough word, but it doesn't tell me anything -- really -- about how a guitar sounds.

But even an non-emotional word like "projection." If a guitar doesn't project quite how I like, I compensate for it by playing a little harder, usually without even knowing I'm doing it.

The one thing most Guilds have in common -- the thing that makes me a Guild fan over the other brands -- is that they're "punchy." By that I mean they have a sharp attack and a quick decay, and each string is clear. This really suits syncopated finger-style playing, at least for me. The notes don't linger in the guitar for long (often making for a muddy sound) and there's clarity between strings so I don't have to worry about hitting certain strings harder in order to make them ring out.

For me the punchiest Guild's are the ones I favor.

Another term is "complexity." What that means as a quality a guitar has -- well, that's something I've come to recognize when I hear it, but it took me years to know what complexity meant. My most interesting six-string guitar, complexity-wise, is still that JV72. When I'm really wrapped up in something I'm playing on that guitar, I often think I hear my phone ringing or the doorbell -- there are overtones (or something) that don't seem to be coming from the guitar.

Occasionally I get that weird sense of the music "coming from somewhere else" on my 12-strings, but the JV72 is the only six-string where that happens, and I have more than a dozen Guild six-strings and have probably owned twice that many so I have some basis for comparison.

So Id say your Jv72 or is that DV72 ? is your most complex guitar offering the most overtones .

Warm to me is a nice balance of mid range not heavy in bass or trebles and a all around smoothness to the notes . ;)

Be nice to see term break
down to reference
Complexity
Warmth
Dry
Muddy
Boxy
Completely dead lol
Firewood
Etc;

Neal

Reaction score
Ray, what I have learned from my experiments with sitka vs. Adirondack tops is that they are different animals altogether. I prefer one or the other depending on what I am trying to achieve musically. Sitka tends to be smoother and more fundamental, while Adirondack packs more punch and sustain (all else being equal, which really isn't possible anyway!). I have had to be really patient with my young adi-topped Guilds, as they sounded tight, and unwilling to give up the tone I am after for quite a while out of the box. But as they get played in, the magic is starting to happen , and I am starting to understand what the big deal is all about.

Still, especially on softer tunes, I prefer a sitka top for its expressiveness. For loud picking tunes, adi rules!