New 2512 ... Anyone?

Reaction score
Hi folks

Has anyone had a chance to try or even buy a new Westerly 2512 model?

So, I'm looking for a cheap Guild Jumbo, as a 'To-go-with' guitar, as far as two other Guilds are used almost always at home or in studio.

What about pros-cons of this guitar, the building quality, and etc.?

Thanks

fronobulax

Bassist, GAD and the Hot Mess Mods
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome. I have no experience with that model but maybe someone else does. (Think of this as an assisted bump to get your question noticed).

Reaction score
Definetely I can't go wrong with it. But I'm aware that it might be not very well built and that's just it. The sound on the video is marvelous.

evenkeel

Silver Supporting
Reaction score
I can't speak directly to a Westerly series, Chinese built F-2512, but I have owned both a Westerly, RI built 512 and a Chinese built 1512. Both of those guitars are spruce and rosewood, not spruce and maple a'la the 2512. The 512 and 1512 both had a big sound, lots of overtones and harmonics. Very aggressive, in your face guitars. Both well built, a bit heavy as Guilds often are. The 1512 was poly finished, while the 512 was lacquer. Tonal differences were not huge. The 512 just had a bit more of everything. Even more oomph, more volume, more overtones than the 1512 which was no slouch in those departments. Both guitars had a very crisp, chimey top end and a very big low end. The 512 in particular had a big bass response.

If it's build quality you are concerned about, unless you are expecting boutique, luthier quality, I don't think you'll be upset with a Westerly series Guild. Yes there will be some tonal differences between a Westerly Series and US built Guild. But likely no more than potential tonal variations between the various US Guild factories.

Reaction score
I have now 5512 and 1512. I've had big problems with built quality of 1512, so that's why I'm worried. Of course, it is not right to judge about overall quality by one guitar only, but nevertheless... The 1512 is completely rebuilt now, and it has brighter sound than 5512.

Reaction score
Here are they

img_0442.jpeg

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Here are they

img_0442.jpeg

You sir just don't have enough guitars !

I'm surprised if the westerly series are having build issues or is just the 1512 or 2512 ?
Their still building in the same plant yes ?

Reaction score
Some of the guitars in the background are sold already.

Just my particular 1512 had issues. I'm not sure about plant, but mine 1512 was built in Fender times, and new 2512 is made now, under Cordoba. By the way, new 1512 quite differs from older version.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Peter, sorry, I have never had a chance to play any of the MIC jumbo 12s. I'd be very surprised if you had any quality problems with the newest ones, but I really can't say.

I have no idea how guitars are sold in Russia, but can you return one if you buy it new?

I think the Westerly series are probably built in the same factory as all the other GADs, but honestly we have not gotten much information yet from Cordoba. My guess is that when they bought Guild from Fender they also bought the rights to produce boh Westerly and Newark Street in their respective Chinese and Korean factories. Fender spent considerable time/effort getting those operations up and running. I'm sure CMG is happy to take advantage of that.

Rayk

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Back some time ago they told me same plant unless I'm smoking the crack pipe ? Not ! Lol

Reaction score
Peter, sorry, I have never had a chance to play any of the MIC jumbo 12s. I'd be very surprised if you had any quality problems with the newest ones, but I really can't say.

I have no idea how guitars are sold in Russia, but can you return one if you buy it new?

I think the Westerly series are probably built in the same factory as all the other GADs, but honestly we have not gotten much information yet from Cordoba. My guess is that when they bought Guild from Fender they also bought the rights to produce boh Westerly and Newark Street in their respective Chinese and Korean factories. Fender spent considerable time/effort getting those operations up and running. I'm sure CMG is happy to take advantage of that.

My GAD 1512 was brought to me from US, it was not bought from a dealer. It was a manufacturer refurbished guitar, so that's why I'm saying that it is not sensible to judge about all the series just by one guitar.

Reaction score
I have had my 2512 for about 4 months now. I haven't played many 12 strings before but I really like it. I put heavier strings on it .0012-.0052 I think daddario ej39. I think that is something like 260lbs of pressure when tuned to d standard tuning like I do. Is that OK? does guild make a max tension recommendation. Is there a better string set to get more growl from the bass end. I am not complaining about the bass from this guitar, I love it. I just want moar.

Hopefully I am asking this in the right place. Feel free to redirect or do what you will.

Reaction score
If you tune your guitar a whole step lower, 12-52 is just the right gauge, unless you love loose strings. They are close to 10-46 tuned to concert pitch in terms of tension.