X-50

BBsput

Reaction score
Hello all,
I am currently in search if my 1st vintage hollow body electric and I believe I have narrowed it down to a guild x-50 based on the look, cost, reviews, videos I have encountered during my research.
There is one (1955) currently for sale that has a replacement neck and I am wondering what this should do for value? The price ($975) is a little less then I have seen some sell for online recently ($1200ish) but not significantly less. I am someone who tends to keep things vs reselling, but i am curious if this type of vintage instrument with repair might not be a good investment if I ever were to resell it in the future. I also don't want to overpay with intentions of keeping it should this price be too high considering the neck replacement.

Thanks for any feedback/ comments you might have regarding a vintage guild with replacement neck.

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Replacement parts are always a concern. How well did they do the neck swap ? Is the neck from the same model or age guitar ? Fret board radius ? How is the angle to the body now ? When was it done ?

Lots of questions jump into my head.

I'm not the expert on this stuff, but there are some knowledgeable guys here. I'm sure you'll get a good response.

BBsput

Reaction score
Wow, certainly all good questions I hadn't considered. It says it was professionally replaced by Cristian Mirabella if that helps?

Thanks,
Brian

Neal

Reaction score
Also, does the replacement neck have a 1 5/8" or 1 11/16" nut? A '55 would have had the narrower nut.

BBsput

Reaction score
All good questions that I will ask the owner, thanks.

Let's assume it was a custom made neck, the correct size and professionally installed. I'm still curious to know what some might think this does to the value. In the grand scheme- if half the guitar isn't original, would I expect to pay half price, just a couple hindered off, etc? Trying to get a feel for how much non original parts should affect the price?

Thanks

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Just a comment - X-50's are great guitars! I had a '65 blonde X-50 that I really enjoyed playing...

walrus

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the 60s and even late 50s X-50s pop up occassionally. sometimes under a grand. not sure where you are located or how easy it is for you to go cherry picking on Craigslist, etc...and buying online is a different game. if the 1955 model with a replacement neck speaks to you and is well done, there is no shame in owning that. it is a player though. you ask if this is "a good investment if i were to sell it in the future?" and my personal opinion at $975 would have to be no. although it may be quite beautiful, that seems high for a non-original neck on a Guild X-50. There are many, many others.

NYWolf

Reaction score
X-50 is my main guitar, I played tons of gigs with it and it never let me down. It's built like a tank! I paid $1400 for it, pretty steep price, but no regrets, the way it feels I can play it till I die without needing any repairs. It's 1961 I believe... It has the beefest neck, and 1 5/8 at the nut. Unlike most, I really enjoy and specifically looked for a narrow neck like that. It has very sweet acoustic tone and loud enough I can practice unplugged at home. I can't imagine what it would be with a replacement neck, though, I would pass on an archtop with one, tbh.

BBsput

Reaction score
thank you for the feedback, makes sense. I must say, pricing seems high all around. I've looked at reverb sold, eBay sold and the going rate I think the last year seems to be $800-1200 depending on condition. The 3 ive come across recently 1963 excellent condition $1800, 1959 good condition ( small part of binding coming apart) $1200 and the replacement neck one for $975. Am I out of line thinking these are all overpriced or has the market shifted that much in the last 6-12. months? I guess I'm asking what folks are seeing as the going rate I there areas for a late 50's early 60's x-50 in good to excellent condition?
Thanks for the input.

BBsput

Reaction score
NY wolf, when did you purchase yours and what condition was it in? All original everything?

BBsput

Reaction score
Might be a sillily question, but are any knobs more rare than others? I noticed of the 2 I narrowed it down to, one set is clear, the other black.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Might be a sillily question, but are any knobs more rare than others? I noticed of the 2 I narrowed it down to, one set is clear, the other black.

Sounds like you need a copy of the Guild Guitar Book by Hans Moust!
They used different knobs during different time periods, for different models, in varying numbers. especially with the single pickup models (of which I own several by the way, big fan of single pickup guitars), and lower end acoustics...there was less consistency and more variation in hardware, pickups, tailpieces, knobs, pickguards etc...

more than having "rare" knobs, or knobs that you personally prefer, the best goal is to have the correct knobs for the particular model and time period. Some of them can be hard to find, but not impossible. Also you can change knobs to those of your choice, just be sure to hang onto the originals.

Also there are more than 1 black Guild knob. the earlier ones are 1-9 "volume" and "tone" specific and later ones are 1-10, without any text.

What year(s) X-50 are you considering?

dbirchett

Reaction score
Have you played it? Are you comfortable enough with your own assessment of the quality of the replacement? Point out the replacement neck and offer him $800 if you are satisfied with the guitar. My first teacher had one and it is a great little guitar.

xilef regnu

Reaction score
I believe this must be the guitar in question:
https://reverb.com/item/2679235-ca-...icFxDzWQ22fb77YYe-8QJC4IWbGeIIVkIIBoCVWrw_wcB

gunqdqjwthswsfkm59wk.jpg

The TRC Police have been notified...

gilded

Reaction score
I think it's a cool looking guitar, but like other people here, I'd like to know more about the neck; nut width for sure, because Chris Mirabella didn't have to keep it to a 1 5/8th" width, did he? When was the neck replaced? Did Chris do it, or an assistant? How long ago? Check with mirabellaguitars.com if the store doesn't know.

Also, the feel of the neck: V-shape, C-shape, chunky, 'elegantly slim'?

Pickup cover is a replacement, so what is wrong with existing original cover in case? What is an original cover in good shape gonna cost you when you find it 5 years from now, $100? The pickup screws look new, too. No rust or grime. I'd want a shot of the pickup without the cover on, to make sure it's a Guild Franz pickup. Just sayin'.

There are no good pics of the neck break-over angle, and I can't tell if the bridge top is slammed against the bottom piece. I would ask for pictures that show good, detailed images of the bridge taken from the end of the neck and from the tailpiece. You need to see if there is any air space between the top and bottom than is more than the spacing of the adjustment knobs.

It would be good to have pics from the sides too, so you can see how 'hard' or 'soft' the break-over angle is.

I'd also get a measurement of the string hight at the 12th fret with a ruler that measures in 32nds or hopefully 64ths. It's important to know, especially if the bridge top is slammed against the bottom piece, because you won't get any more reduction in string height unless you re-set the new neck.

There is no information about the 'included case'. Is it original? Hardshell? Chip-board?

BBsput

Reaction score
Thank you all for the helpful feedback, that was indeed the guitar and I did indeed runaway. I have since found 2 more options and wanted to attach a pic to have you experts check for original parts but I cannot figure out how to attach an image:confused-new:

BBsput

Reaction score
I know it doesn't fit with the title of this thread, but one of the options is a 1961 guild x-150 savoy. I cannot seem to find to much on this vintage model. Curious what the approximate spread in price should be for this model/year. Also I do know the owner did add a guild hum bucking pickup in the bridge position, so not sure what this would do to value.