Baker Street, Shawn Colvin

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Sometimes I think I know everything and, I'm wrong. And sometimes I think I've heard everything. And I'm wrong there too. So had a really great night with a friend from out of town and then go home to try to play guitar and Don puts on the song we're playing.... just to make sure we're not too far off. After that, we relax and then.... this comes on. I always loved this song. Bless Gerry Rafferty's heart for doing it and sad that the hard drinking Scotsman couldn't hold it together for a bit longer.

Great song by one of my faves, Shawn Colvin doing Baker Street. Wow!!

So totally different and so totally awesome. :encouragement:

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I love Shawn Colvin, and when you see her live, it's remarkable how powerful her voice is. Something that doesn't necessarily come across on her studio work.

JimmyD

Reaction score
I love Shawn Colvin, and when you see her live, it's remarkable how powerful her voice is. Something that doesn't necessarily come across on her studio work.

Studio's funny that way. The thing I like is she doesn't over reach....stays in a very nice and controlled emotive zone.

Christopher Cozad

Platinum Supporting
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Thanks, Tom.

I have never heard a cover of Baker Street I liked...'till now. In retrospect, I was properly ruined by Raphael Ravenscroft’s epic sax riff along with Hugh Burn's blistering guitar solo in the summer of '78, and I unfairly judged any cover I ever heard by that standard. No one could compete.

Shawn's haunting, uber-cool, understated delivery of one of my favorite songs was just the ticket to let me thoroughly enjoy those brilliantly stirring chord changes by someone other than the man, himself. She is an impressive talent.

Last edited:

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Yeah, Christopher, I agree. Sometimes you have to just have a total break in style and mood to reappreciate a song. I think Shawn does that very well. Like Sandy, I've been very impressed with Shawn Colvin in concert three times. First, the whole thing was just her and a dreadnaught.... The End. Truly amazing! And the other two times with a full band with a couple of acoustic breaks. Equally amazing! The last time I saw her in Los Angeles at the Wiltern Theater, she and the band took a break and she introduces a special guest, and out walks Joni Mitchell!! She did Just Like This Train, Facelift, and two other songs I can't remember right now. Blown away!! :encouragement:

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I just bought the Uncovered album. I had previously heard, and liked, her version of Private Universe. And now this. I figure it's worth supporting her work.

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Actually it's an easy song to play. Standard tuning, and if you play with her, capo on 3. Jeff, I never bought that album. Her original "Cover Girl" has a lot of songs that I like a whole lot better, but it's hard to beat Baker Street. I had to come home and play it tonight..... :encouragement: