Most Memorable Covers

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Tom's thread about Shawn Colvin's cover of Gerry Rafferty's "Baker Street" got me thinking about a subject that I thought we'd all have a lot of fun with not to mention an emotional experience.

I was sitting on the beach this weekend, staring into the Atlantic Ocean, and musing for hours about some of the truly outstanding covers that musicians have done over the years. I would never argue about whether these are "better" than the originals; that's not my point at all. When a musician does a cover that's influenced by the original but wildly different, full of homage and yet still blows your mind because of how great it is in it's own right... well, that's what this thread is about. In fact, the point is that these covers make you think about the originals, the artists (both new and original), and often bring back very strong memories. Anyway, please contribute with videos or audio if it's available. It's all about sharing the music, right?

First, with a nod to Tom, I agreed with the majority of folks that Shawn's cover is truly outstanding. I had never seen that one before. The mood, the voice... well, all of it. It's particularly amazing because folks felt so strongly that this is a nearly impossible song to do justice to because of the perfection of the original and, of course, ... Gerry Rafferty!

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Since we all love Guilds, one of my favorite covers is John Denver's version of Pete Seeger's "Bells of Rhymney." IMO this was John's masterpiece on the 12-string.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here's a crazy favorite of mine... The Hooters did this outstanding cover of The Beatles' "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds". The mandos, the tempo and harmonies at the end.... oh, and the hairdos too. :)

Seriously, really quite striking, IMO:

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My last one to present to you now is Iz doing "Over the Rainbow," from "The Wizard of Oz" soundtrack. I don't think I ever listened to the uke until I started hearing Iz. This particular cover just (to me) totally represents Iz. This one really isn't about the original artist (although I think a movie can count here), but more about the incredible emotions this cover evokes.

You guys likey? Like I said, please add your favs.

Last edited:

killdeer43

Reverential Member
Reaction score
My last one to present to you now is Iz doing "Over the Rainbow," from "The Wizard of Oz" soundtrack. I don't think I ever listened to the uke until I started hearing Iz. This particular cover just (to me) totally represents Iz. This one really isn't about the original artist (although I think a movie can count here), but more about the incredible emotions this cover evokes.
This one's a winner, for sure, and you're right on about the emotions. Iz was beloved in the islands. I just played this one for Cindy as her wake up call, and she thanks you.
:peaceful:

Joe

CA-35

Reaction score
My favorite cover is this one by Angelique Kidjo of Hendrix's classic "VooDoo Child" performed live in 1999 in Chile. I love her voice. Enjoy

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I'm a child of the '60's and 70's:

The Beatles "You Really Got a Hold on Me"

Elton John "Lucy in the Sky"

The Who "Summertime Blues"

Van Halen "You Really Got Me"

...and since you mention John Denver, I always loved Peter, Paul and Mary's version of "Leaving on a Jet Plane".

walrus

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Fun thread chazmo!! All good choices so far! I'll play with two more. In keeping with Shawn Colvin I'll share her doing Steve Earl's "Someday" off her Cover Girl album (all covers). She nails it really well, in my book!

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
And then there's Tennessee Waltz by Redd Steward and Pee Wee King which was written back in 1946 and made hugely popular by Patti Page in the early 50''s. A sweet and beautiful song. Timeless. Classic. No one covers it better than Eva Cassidy.

I'm gonna keep thinking of covers. Y'all best get to posting!! :encouragement:

wrblr

Reaction score
How about one more cover from Shawn Colvin who, IMO, is seriously under-appreciated by mainstream listeners. A great interpretation of Gnarls Barkley's Crazy

https://youtu.be/A7ITHanhV6A

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
As a youngster my favorite cover was the 5th Dimension's version of Laura Nyro's Wedding Bell Blues. I knew nothing about Laura Nyro, though, 'til summer 1970 when my folks & I visited family in Los Angeles. One day my Uncle Harry took my cousin Hank & I out for ice cream or somesuch when the song came on the car radio and I started singing along. Later that day (I think) Hank played me his copy of Laura's first album, which started with that song. At first I didn't much like her version…her voice took awhile to grow on me. But I loved the songs so Hank made me a cassette copy of the album, which I played over & over on my portable player/recorder. Eventually I bought all of Laura's albums, the later ones as they came out, and became a huge fan.

The cover:

The original:

(Alright, what's the secret to getting YouTube links to show up here in graphical form?)

-Dave-

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Blind Faith: "Well All Right"
Santana: "She's Not There"
Tuck and Patty: "Castles Made of Sand/Little Wing":

twocorgis

Venerated Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
I might have chosen Angelique Kidjo's cover of "Voodoo Chile" as well, but Neko Case's cover of "Buckets of Rain" (one of my favorite Dylan songs already) makes me swoon every time. Love her voice.

[video=youtube;ZzKMp-Eil9k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=ZzKMp-Eil9k[/video]

gjmalcyon

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Guild Total
My last one to present to you now is Iz doing "Over the Rainbow," from "The Wizard of Oz" soundtrack ...

First heard that during the Dr. Mark Greene death scene on "ER". Immediately went out and bought a half-dozen Israel Kamakawiwo'ole CD's. I listen to them all when we fly to Hawai'i from the east coast to rekindle the "Hawai'ian at heart" in this haole.

Here's another of his covers - Ahi Wela/Twinkle Twinkle"

CA-35

Reaction score
Someone posted this here a few months ago and I loved it. A bluegrass rendition of Elton John's "Rocket Man"

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
(Alright, what's the secret to getting YouTube links to show up here in graphical form?)

-Dave-
Dave, I had trouble with this one too, once. When you're in youtube, they have a "Share" option under the video which links to the vid. DON'T USE THAT ONE!! Go to the task bar at the top of the browser and copy what's in the address bar. It's going to have the youtube address plus a "/watch?v=" and then the numbers and letters that make up the link to the video you want. It must have the /watch?= or the link in the "Insert Video" won't show up. Try it like that okay?