Hard case for T-bird

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Has anyone gotten a hard case for their T-bird, yet? I know the baritone guitar hard case pops up as a suggested accessory at Sweetwater; is that the only option out there?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I have a nice TKL hard case that I believe may be for a Gibson Firebird/Explorer. I was keeping a 66 Jetstar in it for a while but it's empty now. I've been meaning to bring it to Sam Ash and see if a Thunderbird fits in it, and either try to sell the case to one of you...er, maybe acquire a Thunderbird? anyway, maybe look into a Firebird/Explorer case, if youre able to find one locally. I'll let you know if mine fits it, will check it out soon (no pressure, etc. but its a nice heavy duty one from 80s/90s in pretty nice shape)

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
What are the inside dimensions? I'm certainly not averse to used, and if you're not going to be using it, we can look into a deal.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Didn't the DeArmond Jetstars come with a HSC (at least as an option)? I wonder if that was an off-the-rack TKL model of some sort.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Didn't the DeArmond Jetstars come with a HSC (at least as an option)? I wonder if that was an off-the-rack TKL model of some sort.

looks like you are correct

CEdQz0.jpg

W0rnII.jpg

ORQTzD.jpg

kakerlak

Reaction score
^the case in the middle pic looks like a better fit than the bottom one, which leaves it free to slide fore/aft and bump its headstock on the end of the case.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yep, that lower pic case looks like the same kind my '71 S-100 came (and that I'm currently keeping my T-bird) in. But mine has extra padding to keep the guitar from sliding around.

I hope an Explorer case fits T-birds well 'cuz I see mine as an out & about/gigging guitar and would like something more sturdy for it.

-Dave-

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Be aware, that the case Sam Ash suggests as an accessory for a T-bird, definitely WONT fit, the body area is too short.

i guess they can't be bothered to measure.

Los Angeles

Reaction score
Guild Total
Sweet water is a great place to call and find out. The sales people are like your personal music valets. Ask them to get a T-bird off the wall and find a commercially available case that fits best. Your sales guy will get it done for sure.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
the dearmond case with th purple guitar actually looks a bit like the TKL/Epiphone EB/SG/Guild JS bass case. I happen to also own one of those, in nice shape from 80s/90s as well, heavy duty deluxe...that is also empty ha. pretty sure both of my cases are made in Canada TKLs. ill get down to Sam Ash tomorrow with the cases and see if they have a T-bird to test the fit.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Chris, the T-bird does fit well in my TKL (firebird/explorer?) case. As you can see, there is a little room on the bass side of the body and above the bass side horn near the strap pin. You could easilly add some foam and fabric, and make it fit like a glove (I do have some extra foam I can send). But I must say, as is, it seems to fit quite well. The T-bird is a chunky beast- with the case closed, this guitar seemed snug from top to bottom, did not move, and might be just fine the way it is. The photo is not the best, there is a wierd shadow on the top of the headstock. but the headstock was way clear both behind and above. plus u could remove the extra square block in the case (above the headstock). anyway no pressure to buy, but it does work well, at least by my standards. and can be made to work perfectly.

also the T-bird is a crazy guitar!! way too much going on for me! but that is one quality instrument. I was stunned to see the Newark St. Bluesbird is $200 more than the Newark St. T-bird. doesnt seem to make much sense, but good if you want to buy a T-bird I suppose. will PM you later

rpxdru.jpg

Reaction score
Just picked up my T Bird from Wunjo Guitars in London. They very kindly fixed me up with a hard case. It's a Fender Jazzmaster case, and it fits perfectly, just have to take the trem arm off.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yep, my T-bird fits pretty well in my Jazzer's case. I still plan to check out the TKL options.

I've had the T-bird out of its gigbag since getting it, resting against a soft chair. I play it a little every evening—sometimes plugged in, sometimes not—along with whatever other guitaring I feel like doing. Last night I plugged in, strummed a few chords and said out loud (to me, myself & I), "Damn, how is this thing still in tune?!" The humidity level in the house is up to around 60% since it's too cool now for the A/C to kick in & dry things out but too warm for the furnace to do the same. Checked the tuning with my iPhone strobe gizmo…every string uniformly down around 3 cents. Last time I tuned it up it was still August. I'm impressed.

-Dave-