Not a Guild, But Still Pretty Cool!

Neal

Reaction score
'59 Gretsch 6186 Clipper. One year younger than I. All original, down to the white soapbox pickup used only for a part of '59. Even the case is original.

Widest neck I have ever seen on an electric guitar (1 3/4") and short scale (24.6). Right down my alley! Neck feels a lot like my 12-fret Orpheum.

Tone is warm, woody, wonderful, especially through a tube amp with a bit of reverb.

Got it last Friday, and it has already been used in three performances!

image_zpsysjh0m5n.jpeg

image_zps1htyqaas.jpeg

image_zpsrfqwqedd.jpeg

image_zpswkxdapsg.jpeg

image_zpsrvitwsmf.jpeg

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Very cool! Also one year younger than me, and looks to be in better shape, too!

walrus

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Pretty cool is right. And there's no way to get that truss rod cover upside down. :boxing: You going to join a big band now?

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Nice looking Gretsch Neal! I'll bet that little soapbar pickup sounds awesome playing some slide. I have a few Gretsches myself that I am very fond of. I always find it interesting that a lot of Guild Players and Lovers own Gretsches as well. They have always seemed to go hand in hand with each other. I wonder why that is? Besides the fact that both are inherently unique in their tone from anything else. Enjoy it my friend, She looks like a keeper!

TX

Neal

Reaction score
TX, I think the reason for the cross-pollination of Guild and Gretsch hollow-body electrics is that they both offer a 1 11/16" nut as standard, at least since the '60's. Chet Atkins was a major influence on Gretsch design in the late '50's, and he liked a wide neck.

I can't play a standard Tele or Strat, for instance. The neck is just too narrow. And yes, I know I could have a neck of my choosing put on a partscaster, but there is something to a hollow-body that is so much more elemental in its tone than a solid body.