First Solo Gig in 24 years

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
bbguitars111816-800.jpg

Well, that was a hell of a lot of fun. I had some technical issues with the venue's incredibly cheap sound system at the beginning but once I got that sorted, the evening went well. I brought in about 20 people on top of the usual (small) Friday night crowd, so the place was nearly full, fairly noisy, and (because it was stacked with friends and acquaintances) enthusiastic. Once again, I made lots of mistakes, but because of the noise I don't think they stood out too badly. Most importantly, my voice was in good shape. I switched the guitars around this time, using the D50 in standard tuning most of the time, but playing the F30 in open D for a few songs.

bbjc111816-800.jpg

Because I brought in a good crowd (underscored by the fact that last night's act had a total crowd of about 12), I'm hopeful that I'll get another shot. Regardless, I'm really glad that I had the opportunity to do these two performances.

I haven't looked at the video yet. If any of it is shareable, I'll post something.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
....I brought in about 20 people on top of the usual (small) Friday night crowd, so the place was nearly full, fairly noisy, and (because it was stacked with friends and acquaintances) enthusiastic.

Wow! Yeah, that will make it a fun evening! I wonder how much they drank. :very_drunk:

Once again, I made lots of mistakes, but because of the noise I don't think they stood out too badly. Most importantly, my voice was in good shape.

You're probably the only one who noticed any mistakes. Sounds like it went great.

....I'm hopeful that I'll get another shot....

With that experience, you could likely play at a lot of places if you wanted. Kudos!

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Okay, with some trepidation, here are two clips. First, probably the only time these two songs have been played back-to-back: Greg Brown's "Rooty-Toot-Toot for the Moon" (as interpreted by Vermonter Jon Gailmor), followed by Tom Lehrer's "Fight Fiercely, Harvard." The pairing made sense in context, I swear.

And, for Tom, "Four Seasons in One Day," complete with stupid lyrical flubs. Don't tell Neil Finn.

I have no illusions here. I'm not a virtuoso by any means, and can't compare to many of the exceptional musicians here. But it still means a great deal to me to be able to do what I can do, and I hope to have more opportunities down the road.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
The scene last night, my third time out. I think I may be getting the hang of this. And the crowd was big enough that there should be a fourth time.

bnbcrowd012117-800.jpg

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Good on you my man!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just keep doin' whatcha do.

In other words, keep making lots of mistakes while playing, and occasionally forget lyrics. I'm on it! :joyous:

Thanks!

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
The scene last night, my third time out. I think I may be getting the hang of this. And the crowd was big enough that there should be a fourth time....

Jeez, looks like a convention!