K&K Pure Mini plus Pure Preamp! Wow!

Reaction score
As some of you might remember, when I got my black JF30 it already had the K&K Pure Mini, with volume control, installed. I really like the sound...no quack, and a full, true acoustic sound. It's a passive system, and my only issue is that I have to run the amp pretty hot, not a lot of headroom.
I've been using it on all my live gigs and it sounds good thru my Fishman Aura Spectrum and into the clean channel on my Quilter amp. In fact, I like it so much I'm planning on getting an identical setup for my other blonde JF30. I've been reading up on K&K, and their different systems, and saw the info on their preamps and thought...hmmm..maybe someday I'll give one a try.

So...I've been watching the usual places (reverb, ebay, etc) for deals on the pickups, and last week I saw this ad for a used K&K Pure Preamp, a used unit, but in perfect working order. I contacted K&K and was told they have not changed anything on the preamp internally (just the label), so I countered the asking price and we settled on a very good price...less than half what a new one would be.

Got it today and OH MAN...this little box ROCKS! What a great sound! Adds a bunch of clean volume, and a LOT of tone! I played for a couple of hours...guitar into the PreAmp and into the amp...and guitar into the PreAmp and into the Fishman and into the amp. What a difference! I can really fine-tune the tone and I can get a LOT more volume!
It has an internal gain adjustment (which I have not needed to touch), a volume control, bass, mid and treble controls, and even comes with a clip to clip it on your belt or guitar strap. (I just have it on my amp). It runs on a 9 v battery.

Pleasantly surprised to say the least! Anyone who has the K&K Pure Mini installed on their guitars should DEFINITELY check out their Pure Preamp. It's inexpensive and it's amazing!

crank

Reaction score
I have t K&K 's in my G37 and my 412. I am going to check out their preamp now. Thanks for the report.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I've been using the K&K Pure Mini in several guitars for a couple of years now. And I recently bought a K&K Pure XLR pre-amp for use at my gig last week (the system at the venue struggled to produce enough volume from the Pure Mini directly). I haven't attempted much in the way of fine-tuning, but I was pleased with the overall results.

jeffcoop

Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Jeff,
It's the same preamp unit, but yours has the XLR out and the external (as opposed to internal) gain control. I saw those too, but could not beat the price I had on mine!

And, really, I could have gone for the one you got and saved myself a bit of cash! Hope you continue to enjoy it.

docfishr

Reaction score
I have used the K&K pure mini in several guitars over the years and I have experienced the difference the K&K pure preamp makes. I would also add that I have used it with a Baggs preamp and an Ultrasound preamp. They all sound good. The K&K pure mini pickup is still the best bang for the buck in passive pickups.
I have some active Baggs Lyrics in a couple of my Guilds and though I love the acoustic tone they give I am not a fan of having batteries in my guitar. They have a way of dying in the middle of a set that is damn annoying and it is a bitch to test them before each gig. The K&K never lets me down but the battery operated preamps can. So I mostly use the Ultrasound preamp which will run off of phantom power from my mixer.
I think I mentioned in another thread that I hate batteries!

crank

Reaction score
I have a little battery powered Fishman preamp that i piked up used and it seems to work pretty well. Has 4 band EQ. I am wondering if they carry the K&K at music stores...would be nice to try it out.

docfishr

Reaction score
I have a little battery powered Fishman preamp that i piked up used and it seems to work pretty well. Has 4 band EQ. I am wondering if they carry the K&K at music stores...would be nice to try it out.

That's a good question. I have never seen K&K gear in any of the shops around here. Does anyone know if they are just an online seller?

kdavid

Gone But Not Forgotten
Gone But Not Forgotten
Reaction score
They must be in some shops--when I lived in Prescott AZ a place there, Mercy Guitar Hospital & Fiddle Dr carried their preamps & many of the pickups

rwmct

Reaction score
My F-30 standard has a pure mini in it. I figured I would have it taken out, as as I have no use for it. But I have not got around to it. Maybe I will leave it in there.

Reaction score
My F-30 standard has a pure mini in it. I figured I would have it taken out, as as I have no use for it. But I have not got around to it. Maybe I will leave it in there.

Why remove it? I has no impact on your acoustic tone, the weight is negligible...and maybe someday someone will want to amplify it!
And if you ever decide to sell it, it could be an added value.

And remember, the transducer pickups are super-glued to the underside bridge-plate inside the guitar, that's one of the reasons they sound so good as opposed to a UST that is under the saddle. However, removing the Pure Mini would probably destroy the transducers.

So just leave it!

rwmct

Reaction score
Why remove it? I has no impact on your acoustic tone, the weight is negligible...and maybe someday someone will want to amplify it!
And if you ever decide to sell it, it could be an added value.

And remember, the transducer pickups are super-glued to the underside bridge-plate inside the guitar, that's one of the reasons they sound so good as opposed to a UST that is under the saddle. However, removing the Pure Mini would probably destroy the transducers.

So just leave it!

I doubt that it has no impact on tone. It is stuff inside the guitar that does not need to be there. Still, maybe the effect is negligible. I don't know.

As for parting with the guitar, I don't see that happening until I am physically unable to play. Of course, eventually someone else will end up with it. But in fifteen years or whatever, the K&K will probably be inferior to the pick up of the day.

Still, the guitar sounds great to me. And while I don't like having a pick up in it, I am also leery of "elective surgery". So maybe I will keep it.

Neal

Reaction score
I've put K&K's in a number of guitars that I was already familiar with, and could discern absolutely no tonal difference after the installation.

The fact is that the guitar has already been irreversibly modified by drilling through the end block to accommodate the 1/4" jack, so all you would be getting rid of is the wire to the jack, and the three tiny transducers. And since they are superglued on, they have to be removed with a razor blade within the tight confines of the bridge plate. Not something I would undertake myself. A luthier certainly could do it, and there are 1/4" end pins that can be installed to replace the jack, so if it really bugs you, the process of restoring it to near stock is pretty straight forward.

rwmct

Reaction score
I've put K&K's in a number of guitars that I was already familiar with, and could discern absolutely no tonal difference after the installation.

The fact is that the guitar has already been irreversibly modified by drilling through the end block to accommodate the 1/4" jack, so all you would be getting rid of is the wire to the jack, and the three tiny transducers. And since they are superglued on, they have to be removed with a razor blade within the tight confines of the bridge plate. Not something I would undertake myself. A luthier certainly could do it, and there are 1/4" end pins that can be installed to replace the jack, so if it really bugs you, the process of restoring it to near stock is pretty straight forward.

Well, since you heard it before and after, that is something I have to take into account.

And you did a nice job with it. I did plug it in at the behest of someone who plays out, and he thought it sounded very good. And yes, if I do take it out, I will have it done professionally. But that is definitely a point to think about: I am not crazy about elective surgery on myself. I probably ought to apply the same principle applies to the guitar.

I guess, if I do have it taken out, it will be at a time when it needs work of some kind. When that will be I don't know. It has a tiny bit more wear than it had when you and killdeer had it, but then I don't have a bunch of other Guilds, and have been playing the heck out of it.

Last edited:

Neal

Reaction score
One thing I have added to my signal chain to sweeten the sound of the K&K is a Holy Grail reverb pedal. I really warms up the tone, and adds just a touch of either spring, room or hall reverb. I think it sounds way better than reverb added at the mixer.

Now I'm curious about what adding a K&K preamp might do.

Reaction score
One thing I have added to my signal chain to sweeten the sound of the K&K is a Holy Grail reverb pedal. I really warms up the tone, and adds just a touch of either spring, room or hall reverb. I think it sounds way better than reverb added at the mixer.

Now I'm curious about what adding a K&K preamp might do.

Neal.
I use the Earthquaker devices "Ghost Echo", which is really a high-end reverb unit. Very lush reverb and very adjustable. If you ever get a chance, check it out!
As far as the K&K Pure Preamp....K&K designed it specifically for their pickups...and it really makes a difference! Gain, volume, bass, wide-range-mid and treble controls lets you really dial it in before it hits the board...or the amp...or the other type of preamp. And they are inexpensive!!

6L6

Reaction score
Gryphon Stringed Instruments in Palo Alto, CA stocks and installs K&K pickups.

Interesting results above. I have K&K Pure Minis in all of my acoustics and I play out alot. In my experience the K&K box detracts from tone when using my acoustic amplifier (either my Fishman Mini or Fishman Performer), but is worth using when playing into a PA.