NGD: The infamous X500 in Living Color

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
You want to know what sucks? I have two X-500s in my possession right now and neither of them are quite right for me.

The Sunburst (1986), and the walnut burst that was LA's (1984).

The 1984 has a better acoustic sound because it doesn't have a big sound block under the bridge.

The 1986 has a better plugged in sound because it has a big sound block under the bridge.

But I like the finish on the 1986 one better.

But I like the tuners on the 1984 better.

But I like the neck on the 1986 better.

But there are no scary finish issues on the neck of the 1984.

But the gold is in great shape on the 1986.

I may sell them both and go for an early '90s X-500 or maybe even an X-700 if the price is right, but finding such a specific beast means patience. I'm not so good at the patience.

billydlight

Reaction score
You want to know what sucks? I have two X-500s in my possession right now and neither of them are quite right for me.

The Sunburst (1986), and the walnut burst that was LA's (1984).

The 1984 has a better acoustic sound because it doesn't have a big sound block under the bridge.

The 1986 has a better plugged in sound because it has a big sound block under the bridge.

But I like the finish on the 1986 one better.

But I like the tuners on the 1984 better.

But I like the neck on the 1986 better.

But there are no scary finish issues on the neck of the 1984.

But the gold is in great shape on the 1986.

I may sell them both and go for an early '90s X-500 or maybe even an X-700 if the price is right, but finding such a specific beast means patience. I'm not so good at the patience.

Take all the stuff you like about each guitar and make one guitar. Sell the other

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Take all the stuff you like about each guitar and make one guitar. Sell the other

:) Seems to me that putting the '84's tuners on the '86 and getting the '86's neck finish issue dealt with would produce a winner. For amplified playing anyway.

-Dave-

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Personally I think you ought to sell the both of them and get someone in Colorado to pick up and ship you that X700 that was previously discussed, Either that or find you a X500T or X550 Paladin that I know you have been jones'n for. Or if you are truly stuck on a Burst X500 find you a late Westerly model or a Corona made model as they have some of the best Wood selection of all time and the ability to change out the standard sized pickups for whatever tone you want. That is probably what I will wind up doing eventually so I can put some Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staple pickups and the Gold Guildsby I have here at the house on it. As always these are just suggestions that help you think outside of the box. If you are not happy with something to begin with you can wind up spending a lot of time and money on it with the possibility of still not being happy with it in the end.

TX

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total

:) Seems to me that putting the '84's tuners on the '86 and getting the '86's neck finish issue dealt with would produce a winner. For amplified playing anyway.

-Dave-

I've thought about some derivation of these ideas, but I wouldn't move the tuners because I don't like visible holes. Yeah, the guitar is a tool and all that. I just wouldn't do it.

Personally I think you ought to sell the both of them and get someone in Colorado to pick up and ship you that X700 that was previously discussed, Either that or find you a X500T or X550 Paladin that I know you have been jones'n for. Or if you are truly stuck on a Burst X500 find you a late Westerly model or a Corona made model as they have some of the best Wood selection of all time and the ability to change out the standard sized pickups for whatever tone you want. That is probably what I will wind up doing eventually so I can put some Duncan Custom Shop Phat Staple pickups and the Gold Guildsby I have here at the house on it. As always these are just suggestions that help you think outside of the box. If you are not happy with something to begin with you can wind up spending a lot of time and money on it with the possibility of still not being happy with it in the end.

TX

I've been eyeballing the Corona models but the current sellers are all delusional. I'm open to the X-700 idea, but I've messaged that guy in with the X-700 in Denver repeatedly and get no response.

Or hold out for a '94 X-700 with real HB-1s...

That would certainly be nice.

Or one of these from the 2000s. Yowsa!

Guild%20X-500-T%20199801.jpg

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
If I'm paying five grand it's going to be for a modern X-700 that is exactly what I want.

Also I'm not going to spend five grand. :)

Guildadelphia

Reaction score
This discussion brings back to memory the day I happened to be tire kicking at the local Sam Ash a couple years ago when a guy walked in with a 70's X-500 that he ended up selling to them. I got a chance to play the guitar which was owned by a retired gigging musician and had some real honest wear but was structurally very solid and had an arrow straight neck, perfect neck joint and neck angle. That X-500 was magic. It played like butter and sounded amazing. The HB1's in that guitar had a fat but twangy sound that was the tone you chase. When it comes to a good X500....I definately get it. As I recall, cosmetic wear aside Ash put around a $2,400 price tag on that guitar. It sold within a week.