X-50 question

BBsput

Reaction score
I am close to purchasing a 1964 x-50 for $600. The price seems right, but I am curious about the pickup vs the value. From what I can tell it has the pickup that is post franz and pre Micky mouse- the single coil made by guild or others. Now I know the franz pickups are more sought after and I'm wondering 1) Why? And 2) how much would having a "non franz" guild affect the value? Do they generally go for less? I personally am just looking for my 1st vintage archtop and not as caught up on the pick-up as long as it's original ( which it is), but still curious on value of these "later" guilds vs their franz equipped cousins.
Thanks for any info you can provide!

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
I had a '65 X-50, it had a Mickey Mouse pup. So I would think a '64 would be the same. But, I've been wrong before!

walrus

BBsput

Reaction score
No, there was apparently some overlap from franz to the other single coil this has to the Micky mouse from 63-65, this def has the middle one. Just cusrious if anyone can comment on value of non franz 60's x 50s or what makes the franz more desireable. I'm ready to pull the trigger but don't want to act on price alone and curious if/why these later guitars aren't thought of in the same light- any thoughts - anyone?

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
you are probably talking about the "Guild frequency tested" chrome covered (early ones have a white top) single coil pickup found on S-50 Jetstars and S-100 Polaras from the mid-60s. they also appeared in some hollow/semi hollows like the X-50 you reference, and others. The pickups sound incredible to me in my Jetstars, and in prior threads it has been discussed that to have those pickups in a hollow Guild would certainly be a "winning combonation." some have reported they have "lower output" than other pickups, but I have not found that to be the case with the (3) guitars ive had experience playing that had them. Those guitars are all single pickup guitars, so a double pickup guitar may have been wired differently, or something?? they sound mighty good, to my ears.

While I cant comment on a Franz or older generation of X-50 per say, I will say the "frequency tested" pickups do sound to me a bit like P-90s ive had experience with (newer Gibson LP Jr/melody maker...). Also I would think the general overall condition of the guitar and playwear (neck angle, frets, finish, past repairs, condition of the wood, etc) would have a much bigger imact on value than the pickup, especially if it is the original pickup, but that is just me. If you are specifically looking for a Franz, this is not it. if you are looking for a nice X-50 with any original single coil pickup, any of them should work. the "frequency tested" and "micky mouse" pickups have *not* been widely reported as "pickups to avoid."

The value of a Franz-equipped early 60s X-50 should not be so different than a Guild-equipped mid-60s X-50. if it is, than maybe the Franz is more sought after/less of them? or just the older vintage? Anything from Hoboken should be pure gold.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
you're welcome. good luck!

also that pickup (as well as the micky mouse) was used on M-65 Freshman, T-50, T-100 and/or CE-100, possibly others...

the Franz pickup is older, and less of them exist, for sure.

NYWolf

Reaction score
I paid for mine $1400!! But it does have Franz pickup, and built like a tank, so even though I overpaid, I have no regrets.

No experience with other type of Guild single coils, but I would probably change them. Also when I tried 1965 Guild with those pickups (I didn't plug in) in a store, the scale of the neck seemed longer, like 25' or something... I thought it's weird.

Neal

Reaction score
I'm curious, NY Wolf.

How would you compare the tone of the '62 X-50 (all hollow, with Franz single coil) and the '96 X-150 (with sound post and twin HB1 humbuckers)?

I own the latter, but lust after the former!

NYWolf

Reaction score
I'm curious, NY Wolf.

How would you compare the tone of the '62 X-50 (all hollow, with Franz single coil) and the '96 X-150 (with sound post and twin HB1 humbuckers)?

I own the latter, but lust after the former!
X170 you mean? Different sounds, neither is better... just like your regular P90 vs Humbucker type of difference. But the tone post of x170, not big fan of what it does to the acoustic properties of the guitar...

To be honest, i havent played x170 all that much, and actually sold it recently. What i didnt like is the feel, particularly the neck. Seemed very flat radius, all the Hoboken made guitars have so much better necks for me, and the overall feel.