Guild 1981 M-80 Write-Up

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
For your reading pleasure: http://www.gad.net/Blog/2016/11/08/guild-1981-m-80/

Guild-1981-M80-Top.jpg

I went in expecting to be underwhelmed by this guitar and the opposite happened. I love when that happens! :emmersed:

As always, please let me know of any errors or mistakes.

Thanks!

GAD

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Another great write up GAD! I remember matsickma has or had one of these and had the same reaction as you. He also likes this "unsung" model a lot and also made note of the surprising weight of the guitar.

BTW There's 1982 bound model for sale in my neck of the woods.

70's

Reaction score
Nice write up! I have one of those myself. Supposedly the XR-7 pickups were very close to if not exact re-labels of the DiMarzio Super Distortion 2 - which is similar to the regular Super Distortion (large ceramic magnet - large diameter slugs, albeit with slotted heads on the XR-7 instead of the usual hex-screws) but underwound to 8-9K in attempts to accentuate the highs. I don't recall where I heard/read that. My experience was different for highs - I always found the standard Super Distortion in my S-300AD to actually have better highs, at least to my ears, than the XR-7's in my M-80... I know different guitars / tailpieces and all..... Of course nothing beats an HB-1 for that true crystallinity....!

DrumBob

Reaction score
I did a lot of R&D work on this guitar during my waning days at Guild. I carried around the prototype for weeks, taking it clubs and bars for local players to try out. The reactions were generally favorable. I remember the neck heel was massive and it was heavy. I think Tony Colantonio the sales rep in the MD/VA area, wanted to buy the prototype when we were finished it. Some players complained about the neck heel, so I guess the plan was to make it smaller.

Last edited: