Heritage H-157 "Les Paul Custom"

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The current HB-1 thread here reminded me I'd never posted anything about this guitar. So, okay, Heritage likely didn't bill it as a repro of the mid-'50s LP Custom…but that's effectively what it is. Minus the ultra-low jazz-centric frets, that is. (This one has typical modern LP frets.) I bought it early this past summer from a local fellow who's friendly with the Heritage guys and usually has one or more of their small-production-run guitars for sale. Mine was made a couple years ago.

It's not too heavy for an LP: 8.5lbs, give or take an ounce. I was drawn to it not only due to its looks (I dig black guitars!) but also because of its pickup config (an Alnico V/P-90 combo, as found on the early Customs though made in this case by Duncan) and loud & ringy—for an LP—acoustic sound. As has often been the case with modern guitars I've had to do some nut & bridge-saddle slot opening/widening to accommodate my preferred 11 gauge (with wound G) strings. Annoying that this is necessary. But having done all that I've got a lively guitar with a huge sound.

Here are a couple iPhone pics. As with my favorite SG, a '71 Deluxe, I've added a "Les Paul" TRC, mainly for my own amusement. :) In this case I had to fill the upper TRC screw hole (with a toothpick and some wood glue) and then drill a new hole that partially overlaps the old one. The original TRC is not the most handsome thing anyway…

AECC5EF8-D3A6-4A59-AB57-D13EC280ACB1_zpsx9rzwyca.jpg

3109F319-BFA4-4CFF-A56C-AB5B88BA40EB_zpsjul2cwsl.jpg

-Dave-

Last edited:

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh man, I love those. I lust after the humbucker version of the H-157 Custom.

Thanks for sharing!

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
It really is a fine guitar. And I'm not even much of an LP fan. Last week I got to play a '56 LP Custom at my local guitar emporium and I gotta say, that particular example of the Real Deal has nuthin' on this one besides the name on the headstock and a way higher price tag. :) The Heritage is a louder (acoustically) & lighter instrument, MJ at Duncan nailed the Alnico V pickup's tone & oomph and the bridge P-90 is on the mark too.

-Dave-

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
What's fit and finish like on it? It's been forever since I've held a Heritage, but in a lot of the ones I see online, all the saddles are slammed all the way towards the tailpiece, like the bridge is mounted too close to the neck of the guitar. It sort of looks like, you've got more space at the nut b/w strings 1&2 and 5&6 than b/w the other pairs.

Gotta say, every one of these Alnico 157s I see online looks gorgeous, though! Holler if you ever feel like trading it in on a Starfire... ;-)

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Yeah, the nut slot spacing thing is noticeable visually, if you look close, but not when playing. My pic probably exaggerates the low E & A spacing anyway. The bridge position is fine with my 11s. The B & high E saddles are all the way back but intonate properly (within a cent or so, initially anyway). The bridge is a TonePros Nashville type…any of the saddles could be flipped for more back travel if necessary. Fit & finish is otherwise immaculate.

Bridge position is something I've run up against with quite a few vintage guitars when used with lighter modern string gauges. Telecasters for instance: tons of available forward travel while the saddles are often shoved back as far as you can put 'em. :) My own old Tele (12–53) only has decent low string intonation because Fender notched the outer undersides of the E/A and B/E saddles in '53, letting me place the E/A saddle slightly over one of the bridge plate screws.

-Dave-

Last edited:

kakerlak

Reaction score
Yeah, the nut slot spacing thing is noticeable visually, if you look close, but not when playing. My pic probably exaggerates the low E & A spacing anyway. The bridge position is fine with my 11s. The B & high E saddles are all the way back but intonate properly (within a cent or so, initially anyway). The bridge is a TonePros Nashville type…any of the saddles could be flipped for more back travel if necessary. Fit & finish is otherwise immaculate.

-Dave-

Cool! These limited edition models always looked extra slick, like they were being really careful with them. Hope to play one someday!