New Guild F65CE-Date and Price?

Reaction score
I'm thinking $1600 to start (I bought my '01 brand new with warranty for $1695.00 when list was $2295.00) and then start taking off all the cost of work that needs to be done, AFTER getting it appraised by a luthier of your choice.
I'm thinking just bridge and re-fin on neck are actually gonna come in closer to a couple hundred by themselves but it varies around the country. Action height at 5/64 is actually right at factory set up spec and bridge looks like original thickness so suspect it doesn't actually need neck re-set.
And factor in another $100.00 for your time and effort in getting the work done yourself.
:biggrin-new:
Helpful advice--the problem I am facing is that I cannot have a luthier examine the guitar prior to my purchase (due to some extenuating circumstances involving my acquaintance the seller). Using your calculation, the seller's asking price is VERY fair and looks to be a good deal even after whatever repairs are done with bridge and finish. The risk I take is if the damage is more serious and the repairs push the guitar outside my price range.

If anyone else is interested in buying this instrument, I can provide more information through PM. I'm still on the fence, but in no rush. So, I would be happy to pass this on to someone else who might be less risk-averse than I.

Reaction score
Mine was a player used Craigslist find that came from Boston. Had the same leaning saddle and split bridge, plus a crack at the fretboard extension. Paid about $750 10 years ago and when I first opened the case, I thought I was screwed. My local luthier at the time told me "no problem" and fixed it up for about $75 and it became a strong player for many years. Used to play it in church. These are great guitars.

Your story certainly makes my choice to postpone or turn away from the purchase much more difficult! The bridge seems repairable for relatively little money. I'm wondering about the dip in the spruce top around the sound hole; I would think the top needs to be "leveled" in some way (not the best language, I know). It doesn't appear that it would need a neck re-set, but it needs something that goes beyond changing string gauges and repairing bridge, right? Or, is it possible that these fixes, and perhaps improving humidity, would allow the top and upper end of fretboard to return to specs?

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Or, is it possible that these fixes, and perhaps improving humidity, would allow the top and upper end of fretboard to return to specs?
That's frequently recommended as the first thing to with any guitar with issues like that, ensure it's properly humidified.
The top wood will swell somewhat, restoring its actual very slight radius (they're not truly "flat") and only then can one properly determine whether it's actually a problem or just dried out.

tjmangum

Reaction score
Your story certainly makes my choice to postpone or turn away from the purchase much more difficult! The bridge seems repairable for relatively little money. I'm wondering about the dip in the spruce top around the sound hole; I would think the top needs to be "leveled" in some way (not the best language, I know). It doesn't appear that it would need a neck re-set, but it needs something that goes beyond changing string gauges and repairing bridge, right? Or, is it possible that these fixes, and perhaps improving humidity, would allow the top and upper end of fretboard to return to specs?

Sorry to muddy the waters! Every instrument and player is different, so while mine is the same model, there may well be other factors at hand, plus I am not a very exacting guitar owner. I know what works for me, but what is acceptable to me, might not be for someone else. I see these selling used for $900=1,200 on a regular basis. I would think if you can work a good deal your potential downside is minimal. Good luck!

marcellis

Reaction score
Awesome information and advice--thanks! I'll wait a bit to see if Hans checks in with this forum before I contact him directly.

What do you make of the price on the F65CE at NormansRareGuitars.com (http://www.normansrareguitars.com/product.php?productid=5687&cat=&page=1)? Seems unusually high given Blue Book and recent sales.

From what I've seen, Antique-burst F65ce's draw higher prices than other models. At least that has been the case the past few years.
$1.9K+ is a bit high. But I've seen them go for $1400 - $1750. I own one BTW. It's my favorite acoustic. I just dropped mine off for a checkup.

I don't see the crack in the bridge as necessarily a big problem. It will have to be replaced. That can affect resale value.

Last edited:

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
From what I've seen, Antique-burst F65ce's draw higher prices than other models. At least that has been the case the past few years.
$1.9K+ is a bit high. But I've seen them go for $1400 - $1750. I own one BTW. It's my favorite acoustic. I just dropped mine off for a checkup.
I think most retailers put a price on an item that allows 'em some wiggle room to entertain "offers".
And yes, the 'bursts seem to be less common, might be a reason for a little "bump" for scarcity.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
Here's a Cherry one on Reverb. I have seen Emerald and Blue, but never this one.

https://reverb.com/item/3995726-guild-f65ce-1997

I think the color noted in listing might be wrong, and I'm sure the color's a little distorted on my tube (little bit yellowed out, maybe due to lighting?), but I'm pretty sure that's actually "Red Transparent" , think "Cherry" was only available in sunburst on electrics by then.
Possibly they don't understand the color code on the label?
If it's "TPR", that question pops up her periodically.
If it's "Ch", well then by golly it IS Cherry.
:friendly-wink: