Help Dating a Late 60's F-112

Reaction score
Hello All,

I bought a late sixties-mid seventies Guild F 112 about a year and a half ago, as much as I love the sound and this guitar, it does not fit what I use my musical abilities for enough to keep, I need to sell it and move along, but I am trouble getting information on when this guitar was actually manufactured. When I purchased this guitar, I was told it was a 1976. However, the inside label (Which has the G shield at the top, as well as "Hoboken, New Jersey, USA" at the bottom) and the serial number (OA 1112) make this guitar seem correct for the late 60's, specifically 1968 because of the serial number. The part that throws me off is the headstock. Mine has just the peaked guild logo, stamped in gold. All of the pictures of the other F112's I have seen have had the Chesterfield inlay on the headstock. Would anybody here have any thoughts on what year this was manufactured? Thank you guys for any help you can provide.

Reaction score
F-112 Dating

Hello All,

I purchased a Vintage F-112 Natural about a year and a half ago, and while I love the guitar and the sound, it does not fit with what I use it for, and so I am attempting to sell it. I am trying to put a ;post together, but I would like to get accurate manufacturing year on it. When I purchased the guitar, I was told that it was a 1976, but my research says otherwise. The serial number (OA 1112) and the inside label (which has the G shield on top, and "Hoboken, New Jersey, USA" on the bottom, lead me to believe that it is a 1968. The part that is confusing to me however, is the headstock. It has only the peaked Guild logo on it, stamped in gold. All of the other F-112's I have seen have the Chesterfield logo in inlay on it. Would any of you have any information on why this might be? It is need of a neck reset, so I know the value will not be very high, but if anybody has any information on a good target sell price, that would be fantastic. Thank you all for your help!

/Users/behrmandaniel/Downloads/Attachments_2016128/IMG_20161204_145442.jpg

/Users/behrmandaniel/Downloads/Attachments_2016128/IMG_20161204_145537.jpg

/Users/behrmandaniel/Downloads/Attachments_2016128/IMG_20161204_145455.jpg

GardMan

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Welcome to LTG!

I assume the SN on the label matches the SN stamped on the back of the headstock? OA 1112 (any chance you meant to type OA 112?) is beyond the range of the on-line SNs for 1969. The OA prefix fits with the late 60s, but the on-line SN lists ends with OA 695... These lists are notoriously inaccurate, and it is quite common to see Guilds numbered beyond the range of the SN lists. Hans Moust could tell you for sure when your F-112 was built.

As for the headstock logo... I know Guild was "experimenting" a bit with headstocks on its acoustics in the early 70s... there are D-40s from that era lacking the Chesterfield logo. Again, Hans is the person who could give you the details. If he doesn't see this thread right away, you might contact him directly (you can find his contact info in his profile from the list of LTG members).

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I purchased a Vintage F-112 Natural about a year and a half ago, and while I love the guitar and the sound, it does not fit with what I use it for, and so I am attempting to sell it. I am trying to put a ;post together, but I would like to get accurate manufacturing year on it. When I purchased the guitar, I was told that it was a 1976, but my research says otherwise. The serial number (OA 1112) and the inside label (which has the G shield on top, and "Hoboken, New Jersey, USA" on the bottom, lead me to believe that it is a 1968. The part that is confusing to me however, is the headstock. It has only the peaked Guild logo on it, stamped in gold. All of the other F-112's I have seen have the Chesterfield logo in inlay on it. Would any of you have any information on why this might be?

Hello FayettevilleBehr,

Welcome! The serial number and the description of your guitar indicate that the instrument was completed during the year 1970 in Westerly, RI. By that time they were still using the labels with the Hoboken, NJ address. The rosewood veneered headstock and the gold peaked Guild logo were standard during that particular period.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

lbrous2

Reaction score
Just bought a F112-12 w Hoboken label Serial OA 730 (which is just past the last # for 1969). It also just has the Guild logo without the Chesterfield. There is NO number stamped on back of headstock. Guitar is in poor shape w several top splits & 1 back split. Working to get it playable. All my guitars have Hoboken labels but all Westerly's.

Guild F-112 OA 730
Guild 212XL AE 428
Guild F-20 SB AG 3368

Last edited:

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just bought a F112-12 w Hoboken label Serial OA 730 (which is just past the last # for 1969). It also just has the Guild logo without the Chesterfield. There is NO number stamped on back of headstock. Guitar is in poor shape w several top splits & 1 back split. Working to get it playable. All my guitars have Hoboken labels but all Westerly's.

Guild F-112 OA 730
Guild 212XL AE 428
Guild F-20 SB AG 3368

i own OA 1098. the serial # stamp is super faint, you can barely see the numbers at all. hold it close under the light, it’s prob bly there, unless the finish is chipped off. mine does not go thru the finish, it is barely there at all. mine is 5-13-70 written in pencil underside of spruce top. no label, no evidence of ever being one

lbrous2

Reaction score
IMG_2999.jpg

lbrous2

Reaction score
IMG_3003.jpg
IMG_3006.jpg
IMG_3001.jpg

Photos of my very well used F112. Strung it as a 6 string. Sounds pretty good.

lbrous2

Reaction score
Not even the faintest sign of a number on the finish at back of headstock. Luckily there was a label. Also I have the black plastic headstock without Chesterfield. I wouldn't say it looks terrific, more like horrific, but it plays pretty well. There is even some white paint overspray on it. Looks like it laid in someones garage for many years.
I'll let Han's tell me it is a 1970 Westerly.

Last edited: