Santa brought a little sister for Jumbo

merlin6666

Reaction score
I have been looking for a new 12-string for quite some time, and the 12-fret Orpheum was one of the models on top of my list as I wanted to have a not-so loud smaller guitar and I found its retro approach appealing. It was thought they had been produced in small number but this year several new ones appeared, and I managed to find one of them in a Canadian store which saved some customs and shipping time hassles.

It recently arrived, and I only had opportunity to unpack, tune, get first impressions, and take a few quick pictures. It will not be until New Year to get fresh strings and more playing as I will be travelling out of town over the holiday. So here are some comparisons to her big older (by 7 months) brother:

First impression was that she came in a quite compact case compared to the Jumbo TKL, though case quality is quite disappointing with poorly aligned latches and gaps at the seams. As expected there is a considerable size difference which is not as obvious in the picture as when I actually play them. For the Jumbo it's a reach to get around, whereas for the 12-fret it's almost too short and I have to make an effort to move the right hand further back than where I'm used to play.

get-photo.asp

It is quite visible that there was a wide variety of Red Spruce used for the tops. While the Jumbo has many dark lines, the Orchestra has a more uniform colour but stronger silking.

get-photo.asp

They both have just gorgeous looking sides and backs, definitely choice materials as far as I can tell. I did not expect the huge difference in necks: The Jumbo has a three-piece neck with rosewood stripe in the centre and a well rounded U shape with a Guild style heel. On the other hand, the Orchestra has a two-piece neck with a V shape, and a pointed heel. The nut width of the 12-string is also quite a bit wider (supposedly by 3mm), but all in all the neck is substantial and I can just about wrap my thumb around it to play the low E. Otherwise it's comfortable to play but not as comfortable as I had hoped as I felt some wrist fatigue after a few songs.

get-photo.asp

It was notable that the high G string had the wrong gauge as it popped when I tuned it up. This is supposed to be the original set, and it looks like they had switched high G and high D strings at setup - strange. Anyway, I had a few spare .010s around so had that fixed for the time being. So with ancient original strings and a possibly too thin D string I found the sound quite warm and dark, compared to my Ovation Legend 12 string. Once I figured out a good strumming position, I found the sound to be of a vintage quality as I would hear it on a Leadbelly or contemporary recording. So I think Ren was successful with this model in creating a definite vintage vibe, which I don't get at all with the Jumbo which is punchy and crisp, and of course has a huge bass. In other words I really like it and how it contrasts/complements the Jumbo. I hope I can get used to its small and size and huge neck, as I intend to play it a lot.

Last edited:

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Oooh, another Orpheum 12-string joins the fold!!!! Congrats, merlin. Hope you love yours as much as I do mine! Can you post a picture of the soundhole label when you get a chance? I'm just curious to see how they did yours. There was quite a lot of variety.

merlin6666

Reaction score
Oooh, another Orpheum 12-string joins the fold!!!! Congrats, merlin. Hope you love yours as much as I do mine! Can you post a picture of the soundhole label when you get a chance? I'm just curious to see how they did yours. There was quite a lot of variety.

I asked the dealer to take a picture before I bought it, it's quite a bit off the center from the soundhole:

get-photo.asp

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Oh wow, merlin!! That's quite a pair of Orpheums you have there!! Congratulations. I'm a HUGE fan of the slotted headstock on the 12/12!! :encouragement:

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Congrats Merlin! I am so glad you got to get one before they were all gone and since you got it new that means there is a warranty included! They are Awesome guitars but just like your Jumbo it will take some playing to get it to warm up and really start singing. The neck is a bit on the Beefy side but even with my Neck shape sensitive left arm I was able to make the transition after awhile but it does take some getting used to. The more time I spent with mine the more I loved it. Congrats man and I am looking forward to hearing what you think of her once you get a chance to settle in more with it after the Holidays! Really Happy for you Man and be safe in your travels!

TX

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Merlin, that's great! Yours has yet *another* way of describing the model name on the label! I love it!

anyway, again, mucho congrats!

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Has anyone posted a clip of the 12 fret Orpheums or the 12 string versions ? They are out of my budget range, but I am still curious about how they sound.

merlin6666

Reaction score
I finally had some time to get more acquainted with the 12-string and I changed strings yesterday. Boy does she ever sound sweet, but she sure needs to be played gently. Which is what I was looking for in a smaller bodied guitar as I don't like straining my voice when singing along a more powerful instrument.

ON the downside, upon closer inspection I found some flaws that should not have gone past quality control. For one the ebony of the fretboard is not a pure black but rather streaky, and it is also quite dry. Will have to oil on the next string change. Also what is really puzzling me are some dark spots on the bridge which look as if someone used a black marker or sharpie on it. Could this be part of the wood or did someone mess with it? I will bring it to my luthier (also a Guild dealer) and get an opinion if the bridge could be stained to cover this up, and if it's covered by warranty.

get-photo.asp

get-photo.asp

davismanLV

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Makes you wonder when the staining happened. I mean, if the bridge was stained before they glued it on.... why use it? Clean it up first or use a different bridge. Maybe oil it when you oil the fretboard and see if it doesn't darken up and become way more invisible. That's what I'd try.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm thinking that some oil got spilled on that bridge, merlin. Rosewood stains/darkens easily. Kind of a bummer to see this on a "new" guitar, but I imagine it's been around a bit since 2014 when it was built.

I suspect that if you take some bore oil (or whatever you use) to that bridge it will darken up and you won't see much of the splotches anymore. That said, this *is* a new guitar so I think consulting your Guild dealer / luthier is a good idea before you do that.

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Has anyone posted a clip of the 12 fret Orpheums or the 12 string versions ? They are out of my budget range, but I am still curious about how they sound.

Granted this isn't a Studio Recorded clip but it will give you an idea of the tone. This is a Rosewood 12 fret 12 string Orphuem. They start showing the guitar at the 4:00 minute mark of the video and he plays some chords at the 4:37 mark of the video. Hope this helps!

TX

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Just checking in to see how the new addition is fitting in. I pulled mine out of the case for the first time in a month or two last night and wound up having that "Honeymoon" Moment all over again just like I did when it first got here. Normally my bad arm only lets me play for 30 minutes or so before I need to rest it but I found myself losing track of time and after a few hours of playing my arm finally gave out for the night. One thing I love about it is the unique tone it puts out. All of my 12 strings sound nice and full but I don't know if it is the Adirondack top or the size or just the overall guitar but to me it almost has a Harp type tone to it that I find to be very cool. There really is nothing on the market I have heard that even ventures into the same type of overall tone of the Orpheum 12 fret 12 string 000. Needless to say I fell in love with mine all over again last night.

I currently am running Daddario EXP 38 lights on it and I play it at concert pitch but return it to half a step down before I put it up to ease the tension on the neck. I have a set of Extra Light EJ41's I may try on it to see if I can leave it at concert pitch. They may make it easier on my bad arm to play it as well.

I hope you are enjoying yours Merlin and would love to hear what you think after having it for a bit. I was on the fence when I bought mine as I really didn't think I needed another 12 string but it has turned out to be one of my favorite guitars ever let alone one of my favorite all time 12 strings!

TX

merlin6666

Reaction score
I try to play mine for at least an hour each day, and I think my wrists are getting more accustomed to the big neck and the periods of pain free playing are getting longer. I also played out with it a few times now, and am getting many compliments. I play mainly acoustic jams and some fiddlers have commented how well it fills in. Today I was as at a jam hosted by my luthier and he had a look at the bridge. He feels that the "stains" reflect the natural distribution of resins in ebony and are a characteristic of this wood. If anything was done to the bridge like oiling or staining this may not necessarily make it disappear but could actually enhance it. Interestingly he also does not encourage oiling the fretboard as he thinks it may cause service problems down the road (e.g. fro re-fret jobs).

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
You said you have played it out a few times. Have you installed a pickup or are the acoustic jams you are doing purely acoustic and no pickups? Just curious as I have taken part in both types of "Acoustic Jams". If you have put a pickup in it I would be interested in what you have in it. I love mine and play it regularly. That is really cool to hear that it fills in nice with a Fiddle.

TX

merlin6666

Reaction score
The jams are acoustic with fiddles mandolins banjos guitars ukuleles and guitars of course. Only the bass player brings an amp. So vocals can be a bit tough and there's not much singing going on.

D30Man

Reaction score
Guild Total
Merlin those are sweet Orphs... I have never played one and I am super-jealous... I don't really have access to one here in the big D. Also, I am afraid that if I do I will fall in love and have to take out a small love an. Dad's funeral wiped out savings.

Also I am afraid my D30 would become that old girlfriend you see sometimes bc you feel like you have to.

My D30 has been pretty faithful and I nabbed her on CL for $500 and an A&L parlor Guitar that I bought for $125.,, she was pristine when I bought her. She has blossomed beautifully in the past few years from pure playing. No tone rite was involved..

Buuuuuuut I digress and will clean up the drool caused by that voluptuous set of Orphs....