Guild CE 100

Minty Green

Reaction score
Thanks for all your comments guys!

It's really a great guitar. I plugged it into my Deluxe Reverb reissue yesterday and the tone is amazing. The pickup is a little noisy at 9 or 10 but below that I'm able to get a nice mellow tone but still clear and articulate. Even my other half commented on how nice it sounds.

I will have to get the binding fixed and the neck looked at. The guitar is pristine apart from those two issues and the tailpiece which is slightly tarnished, it really deserves to get back to it's original state.

Last edited:

billydlight

Reaction score
Neck resets : not in my experience. It's important to note the difference between archtops and flattops : flat top guitars almost inevitably are going to need a neck reset at one point during their existance, it's the nature of the beast. The way a flattop is configured, it's somewhat of a self-destructive instrument over time. Tops belly and move and effectively "lift up" the bridge, and the whole enchilade can "fold up" a little too, exagerrating the problem.

Archtops are a whole other thing, and Guilds do not typically need resets the way for example Gretsch guitars do. There IS an odd issue with a lot of CE100D's and T-100D's with Franz pickups that I've seen where the neck pitch is so low that if you want super low action, the bridge pickup cover is too tall to allow it without the strings hitting the lead pickup. I don't think all of that phenomenon is wear and tear : I'm getting more and more convinced some of those guitars left the factory with a neck angle that was borderline OK to begin with, because I can't see a lot of evidence on those guitars of things having moved out of alignment.

But as far as neck resets go, the Hoboken Guild archtops that I've seen usually don't need them.

On a single pickup CE100 without Bigsby, a low-ish neck angle is of no negative consequence whatsoever, more of a good thing really. An unusually tall bridge height on an archtop can sound a little banjo-ish at times.

The only thing I have to add is that for the music you mention, make sure you don't think the Guild is too bright. A lot of Jazz players like humbuckers for a fatter, darker tone, but even in the world of single coils, a Franz pickup is usually a good deal brighter and twangier than a Gibson P90.

Wow nice guitar. I have to say I think the bridge pickups so close to the strings on a CE is where the magic is.
I;ve got a little binding and heel problem on my CE100D. Just leave it be.

IMG_20161019_104636_zpsd8nhjuzq.jpg