Typical costs for luthier services

awerking

Reaction score
Hi all,

Reading through many of the posts here, and considering the possible acquisition of a Guild in need of some work, got me interested in typical costs for general luthier services. I know that pricing a service such as this is very subjective, and may vary widely based on location, condition of the guitar, the true nature/extent of services required etc. However, I was hoping to get a feel from other LTG members about what pricing I should expect for services such as a neck reset, a refret, truss rod adjustment, basic setup etc. Hopefully this will help me make a more complete cost analysis when considering the acquisition of a vintage instrument that may be in need of some adjustment and/or repair.

In doing some basic research, I did find a local luthier that posts a basic price list on his website (with the expected "it depends on a variety of things" caveat). Right now I have no basis to determine if this pricing is in line with what other experienced and reputable luthiers are charging, so perhaps some feedback on that price list would be a good place to start the conversation. http://www.thefretking.com/pricing.html

Some of the listed prices are what I would have expected to pay, i.e. replace bone nut, replace bone saddle, strap button install, basic setup etc., while others exceed what I initially expected to have to pay. The neck reset particularly stuck out to me. Is $600 the going rate for a typical neck reset?

Thanks in advance for the help!

Neal

Reaction score
First of all the Fret King needs to learn how to spell the word "intonation".

Secondly, I think most of the prices quoted are high. Having said that, I have a luthier who is both competent and cheap.

Case in point:

I recently had a complete refret done on a '53 X-150, which also had a small hump at the 14th fret, so while the frets were off, I had him level and radius the fretboard from end to end. Basically a new guitar now from a playability standpoint. "Plays like butter".

Cost: $200, including period-correct frets.

At the same time, I had him level, crown and dress the frets on a '54 X-200S. Cost: $50.

His going rate for a neck reset is $300-$350.

Set-up: $50

I had him carve a new bridge for a '71 D-25, which had developed a crack between the peg holes. Cost: $115.

This guy lives out in the country, works out of his home, has low overhead, and can offer full-service luthery on the cheap. For anyone in the Central Virginia area, I would highly recommend him.

Last edited:

Graphicism

Reaction score
Perhaps of no real help...

If you fix that guitar yourself it won't just be some guitar; it will be an extension of you and your abilities. Not just as a musician but a craftsman. For every note, every chord, every song played will be because of you and you alone.

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
I recently had a complete refret done on a '53 X-150, which also had a small hump at the 14th fret, so while the frets were off, I had him level and radius the fretboard from end to end. Basically a new guitar now from a playability standpoint. "Plays like butter".

Cost: $200, including period-correct frets.

California/Silicon Valley about 8 years ago: $250.00 with setup and replaced nut/saddle. Rent and labor overhead's sky-high here, and I expected that and considered it a great deal when I got it back and had a chance to evaluate quality of work. Like yours, brand new from playability perspective.
His going rate for a neck reset is $300-$350.
Neal I know you're well aware of this but for awerking's sake:
One reason neck reset prices can vary so much is that besides simply removing and replacing the neck, other additional jobs, such as a refret, might be advisable to have done at same time.
Some folks think that the fretboard should be re-radiused when getting a re-set because in all likelihood it's become warped either from the bent neck or from being released of tension when neck is removed, and re-radiusing ("planing") requires R & R of frets anyway.
Then there's 99% probability a new saddle's gonna be needed to match the new neck angle, and a nut is a strong likelihood too.
On top of that, after reset a setup's going to be needed anyway so might as well start with a known good fretboard and frets.
For balance, we've seen favorable reports from members who didn't get their fretboards done and not everybody believes it's necessary in all cases.
Then there're issues peculiar to Guild:
They have a reputation for being difficult to reset which is justified for some models and eras.
They're also finished over the seam between neck and body so that will need to be patched up after reset, if you want it back in "as built" condition.
Then there's 99% probability a new saddle's gonna be needed to match the new neck angle, and a nut is a strong likelihood too.
Having covered all that and tossing in "location factor", a re-set here in Silicon Valley at a reputable shop (warrantied with free follow up to fine-tune set-up if needed) is easily $900.00 for every last detail noted above (and some I've forgotten), including a set of strings.
And I'd probably be a bit leery of a luthier who couldn't spell "intonation", myself, but I realize different folks have different strengths.
And BTW, truss-rod adjustment is part of a set-up, but most of us do it ourselves, it's really very simple.
Let us know if you want instructions.

Last edited:

Taylor Martin Guild

Reaction score
The prices that I have either paid or been quoted here in Utah are about 20% higher than the prices posted by Neil.
Part of the problem here may be that we are loosing our Luthiers. Some have retired and others have moved.
Not a lot left to choose from.

awerking

Reaction score
One reason neck reset prices can vary so much is that besides simply removing and replacing the neck, other additional jobs, such as a refret, might be advisable to have done at same time.
Some folks think that the fretboard should be re-radiused when getting a re-set because in all likelihood it's become warped either from the bent neck or from being released of tension when neck is removed, and re-radiusing ("planing") requires R & R of frets anyway.
On top of that, after reset a setup's going to be needed anyway so might as well start with a known good fretboard and frets.

Thanks, adorshki. So based on his price list, my local luthier would charge the following for a typical neck reset and associated services:

Neck Reset - Guild: $600
Plane Fingerboard for neck correction: $105
Refret: $375
Bone nut: $65
Bone saddle: $65
Restring: $26
Setup: $75
TOTAL: $1,311 + tax

Wow!! Wasn't expecting a number that high! That dramatically changes the value equation of any future vintage acquisitions.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Thanks, adorshki. So based on his price list, my local luthier would charge the following for a typical neck reset and associated services:

Wow!! Wasn't expecting a number that high! That dramatically changes the value equation of any future vintage acquisitions.

there is a chance the neck reset price includes the refret and/or other things on that list. You may want to get that clarified. Also check out Guru Guitars in Raleigh, NC if that is close to you. They are a good shop.

awerking

Reaction score
Perhaps of no real help...

If you fix that guitar yourself it won't just be some guitar; it will be an extension of you and your abilities. Not just as a musician but a craftsman. For every note, every chord, every song played will be because of you and you alone.

Agree. I'm no stranger to DIY. Avid home brewer/builder of a recirculating infusion mash system of my own design, furniture builder, skateboard maker (yes, I make my own molds and laminate boards of my own design), but I know nothing about building/servicing/repairing a stringed instrument. The tight tolerances utilized and the very precise nature of the construction is a bit intimidating, and I'm guessing I'd have a good chance of screwing up (or potentially ruining) anything I worked on myself as it would be, in effect, a trial and error learning process. Can't say that I haven't considered it though. Do you know if any good educational resources?

awerking

Reaction score
there is a chance the neck reset price includes the refret and/or other things on that list. You may want to get that clarified. Also check out Guru Guitars in Raleigh, NC if that is close to you. They are a good shop.

Thanks, mavuser. Will do on both.

bluesypicky

Enlightened Member
Reaction score

Email Tom (LTG handle: "Fixit")
The best you will ever find to work on a Guild, if not ANY guitar, and will probably be much better priced than your quotes above.

I am one of numerous happy campers here that had several guitars in his hands, absolutely amazing job in all instances, in addition to being a super nice guy.

(FYI, he used to be a Guild worker)

awerking

Reaction score
Email Tom (LTG handle: "Fixit")
The best you will ever find to work on a Guild, if not ANY guitar, and will probably be much better priced than your quotes above.

I am one of numerous happy campers here that had several guitars in his hands, absolutely amazing job in all instances, in addition to being a super nice guy.

(FYI, he used to be a Guild worker)

Thanks, Bluesypickey! That's a great reference. Will do.

merlin6666

Reaction score
My Canadian luthier lists the following rates:

Repair Rates
$85.00 per hour
$45.00 per 1/2 hour
$20.00 Shop Minimum

So it really depends on how much time a job takes. For that he provides estimates. I think last time I had a set-up done with a truss-rod adjustment and string change it was more than half hour that he billed.

kakerlak

Reaction score
Those seem like sky-high prices to me. Like 2-3X a reasonable rate, but I'm no market expert.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I did find a local luthier that posts a basic price list on his website...

As others have said, his prices are high. Judging from what he charges, he really doesn't like to restring a guitar!