The Guild Bluesbird Bake-Off!

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
For fun, I decided to sit and compare all the Bluesbirds I had in my possession. I actually wrote most of this some months ago and finally put the finishing touches on it while sitting in an airport lounge.

http://www.gad.net/Blog/2017/01/27/guild-bluesbird-bake-off/

Guild-Bluesbirds-1970-2016-1600.jpg

I look forward to you finding all the typos. :smile-new:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
Good stuff!

(I've been conducting a slow-rolling bakeoff between my older S-100 and new T-bird. The two are very similar in weight, neck profile & feel (the S-100 was refretted at some point with what feels like the same wire as the T-bird), "optimum" setup and acoustic sound & resonance. The T-bird is better balanced and gives my right arm a comfy resting spot. Plugged in they're different enough not to be redundant, but it's close. Close enough that at some point the S-100 will likely go. My newer S-100 is such a different guitar, and with a killer app in the form of its phase switch, that it already has a secure place in the stable.)

-Dave-

dbirchett

Reaction score
Always enjoy these. Thanks, GAD.

Now about that Starfire IV ...

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Dunno. Maybe not. It believes that it is, so I wouldn't want to hurt its feelings.

Last edited:

hagmeat

Reaction score
Was the 80s M-80 technically a Bluesbird?

IMHO, the 70's M80 and the 80's M80 were not intended or marketed to be part of the Bluesbird or M75 lineage.
Although very similar, they were intended to be different beasts. Maybe Hans will chime in to set the record straight.
Anyway, GAD, I really enjoy reading your posts and articles. Keep up the great work mate.

AcornHouse

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I don't mean to veer, or denigrate GAD's great write up in any way. They certainly follow in the BB tradition and style better than the "Setzer" Bluesbirds, which are certainly entirely different animals. Just a little semantic clarity.

chazmo

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Chris, we're all looking for a little semantic clarity in our lives. Keep up the good fight! ;)

That's a pretty fantastic picture, GAD. Did you photoshop this together or did you actually take it? Reminds me of my "you can't have too many guitars" T-shirt, but much better! :)

Reaction score
I bought my 1971 M-75 as a rescue guitar from Music-Go-Round but after a fret dressing and some binding and bridge work I think I am stuck with it. Not a bad problem to have! Even with my earlier aversion to black guitars this ones a keeper.
Thanks John

DThomasC

Reaction score
The chambered Bluesbirds are unarguably derived from the Nightbird. Does that mean the Nightbird is part of the Bluesbird family? I tend to think so.

GAD

Reverential Morlock
Über-Morlock
Reaction score
Guild Total
Chris, we're all looking for a little semantic clarity in our lives. Keep up the good fight! ;)

That's a pretty fantastic picture, GAD. Did you photoshop this together or did you actually take it? Reminds me of my "you can't have too many guitars" T-shirt, but much better! :)

I will never argue against semantic clarity! Hell, I can be pedantic about semantics!

The pic is Photoshopped. It's all the full-top pics you see at the bottom of my reviews stitched together here's one I did for another thread:

SixGuilds_1600.png

I was thinking of doing a super-wide one with all the pics I have.

jp

Reaction score
Guild Total
Fun and informative reading GAD. I always learn something new from your reviews. Your bake-off inspires me to get more intimate with the '76 M-75 I bought from Horuss, and I confess that I haven't truly put it through its paces, since I acquired it so many months back.