Starfire III with TV Jones Classics

Reaction score
Just got a 2013 N.S. SF III for the unheard of price of $500. My buddy of 60 years bought this guitar new from Sweetwater for $1100 and then put it in its case. Did not come out too often because he had a Gretsch 6120 Jr. that he dearly loves. I had originally talked him into buying the Guild because he had gotten a 1968 SF III back in the day and then sold it when he went into the army. I told him I was interested in the 2013 and he said $500, and it's yours.
I like the little-buckers in it and may not touch them. They are well-balanced and articulate. But............I'm thinking of "TV Jonesing" it. Has anyone else done this? And what can I expect tone-wise? A Gretschy sound, I would hope. And perhaps a Compton bridge.

n

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome to LTG, duoman! sailingshoes has pointed you in the right direction!

walrus

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
If I recall correctly there was someone here who actually did the filtertron swap on the NS SF-III not too long ago. I even remember seeing one for sale on Ebay a few weeks back that had the TV Jones filtertrons in it. It looked great and I can only imagine it sounded as good as it looked as TV Jones doesn't make a bad sounding pickup that I am aware of. The filtertrons are very close in size to the Guild LB-1 pickups that come factory in the NS SF-III so the conversion shouldn't be too hard to accomplish. Best of luck!

TX

dbirchett

Reaction score
You might want to consider a DeArmond style as well. Yes Tom makes one of the best with the TV Armond.

Reaction score
Thanks, all, for your replies.
Very familiar with the TV Jones line. I've put two sets in other guitars. I just wanted to know if someone had done a swap on a Starfire III and if they were pleased. I imagine I will get to mine sooner or later.

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
The TV Jones pickup I really like—seems to fly under the radar too—is the Dyna'Tron. (Apparently now called the Magna'Tron.) It's a DeArmond 2000/Filter'Tron mashup: humbucking with slug magnets in each coil. Lotsa DeArmond-style punch & clarity along with some Filter'Tron compression.

-Dave-

Walter Broes

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I'd give the originals a chance. Or get a set of vintage originals, if you're patient you can probably find those cheaper than a new pair of TV Jones pickups.