1969 Guild M-75

Reaction score
I cannot find any info on my old Guild.......which I bought new in 1970......I do have the original Guild folding brochure with purchase date....model m75.......ser#DD 505......can't find any of this, except on the missing 1969 years......including George Barnes Model (I own a flyer with him playing this type of guitar).......I will try to post a pic.......my guitar is very worn......with many years of joy......now for my question.....why would "it" have a starfire truss rod cover (metal).......it has no f-holes......looks nothing like those....to me........this guitar has never been out of my sight.......even during two fret jobs........can anyone help me out.......important fo me to know the value for insurance purposes and/or down the road selling.....I am 77 years old.......and nobody else in the family plays..................thanks to this forum and thank you for the help

adorshki

Reverential Member
Reaction score
.now for my question.....why would "it" have a starfire truss rod cover (metal).......it has no f-holes......looks nothing like those....to me........this guitar has never been out of my sight.......even during two fret jobs........can anyone help me out.......important for me to know the value for insurance purposes and/or down the road selling.....I am 77 years old.......and nobody else in the family plays..................thanks to this forum and thank you for the help

Hi Dave, welcome aboard!
I'm going to guess that it was simply a matter of using something they had handy when they finished the guitar.
Over the years we've seen so many examples of them going "off spec" that it seems like the most likely explanation.
Maybe they just ran out of "regular" TRC's so used the "star" type.
We even saw an example of an F30 built with a 12-string top within the last year, confirmed by the bracing pattern.
Guild guru Hans Moust believed it was simply a matter of having the top handy when an order for an F30 came in and they didn't have any "on the line" or any ready made F30 tops.

mavuser

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Maybe they just ran out of "regular" TRC's so used the "star" type.

that does seem to be the case, with many Guilds from that 69/70 time frame. they are the same TRC, just one says "starfire" and the other does not. they must have had a plethora of "Starfire" ones and a shortage of the others. even today, Hans has new old stock Starfire TRCs, but the blank ones are long gone. they pop up on the vintage market though.

ive even seen a 60s F-20 with the "Starfire" TRC...what???

Welcome Dave! also the M-75 is known as the "Bluesbird" (definitely not a Starfire).

Last edited:

Quantum Strummer

Reaction score
My '70 M-75 also has a "Starfire" trussrod cover. Doesn't seem to be a common thing, though I did see it on another '70 in an eBay or Reverb listing awhile back. As for current value…hmmm, my guess is somewhere in the $2500 range. More or less depending on condition.

-Dave-

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I cannot find any info on my old Guild.......which I bought new in 1970......I do have the original Guild folding brochure with purchase date....model m75.......ser#DD 505......can't find any of this
Welcome to LTG! Yes, your M-75 with S/N DD 505 was made in 1970. A description is in Hans Moust's "The Guild Guitar Book" on page 57.
From the factory they would have shipped with this simple metal truss rod cover, maybe somebody in the shop had them mixed up with a Starfire TRC:

p5_uve44glun_so.jpg

John Fogerty of Creedence Clearwater Revival used a slightly earlier such guitar in the 1969 Ed Sullivan show:

Ralf

DThomasC

Reaction score
I cannot find any info on my old Guild, which I bought new in 1970. I do have the original Guild folding brochure with purchase date, model m75, ser#DD 505. Can't find any of this, except on the missing 1969 years, including George Barnes Model (I own a flyer with him playing this type of guitar).

I will try to post a pic. My guitar is very worn with many years of joy. Now for my question: why would "it" have a starfire truss rod cover (metal)? It has no f-holes - looks nothing like those to me. This guitar has never been out of my sight, even during two fret jobs. Can anyone help me out? Important fo me to know the value for insurance purposes and/or down the road selling. I am 77 years old and nobody else in the family plays.

Thanks to this forum and thank you for the help.

Welcome to the forum Dave! Pricing vintage guitars is tricky because it depends on so many little things. The condition obviously makes a big difference, so photos would help here. Actually, I'd say nobody here can offer any advice without a good set of photos.

walrus

Reverential Member
Gold Supporting
Reaction score
Welcome, Dave - good information for you to consider has been posted!

walrus