Weird label in a 1959 Freshman

gilded

Reaction score
Zooming in on the label, I can see a thin line or impression of a "1" and then a "2" on the serial number line. The impressions look to me like they were written in pen. If an eraser was used, it was probably used to correct a first attempt at pencil writing on the first line.

Re the first two numbers of the serial number being 1 and 2: If the first Guild serial number in 1960 was 12036, then statistically, it's much more likely to be a 1960 model guitar, yes?

ClaytonS15

Reaction score
Guild Total
My 1959 T-100D also has la ghost label with no model number or serial number readable. I think there's something to the disappearing ink idea.

jedzep

Reaction score
I guess I'm more fixated on the goofy writing that's there as opposed to what writing was erased. Is it a deception attempt from years ago? The photo is fuzzy but it looks like a high quality modification.

gilded

Reaction score
My guess is someone was thinking about a Starfire model. The writing is very clumsy, even allowing for writing through the f-hole. Why the punctuation mark at the end of 'Star.'?

Something is goofy. This is an easy one to over-think!

Vermonter

Reaction score
I just picked up a 1958 M-65 and the label is blank, except for the Guild logo stuff, which is exactly like yours. Whatever was written on the label at the factory is long gone.

SFIV1967

Venerated Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I would try looking at the label with a black light, some remains of the faded serial number might show up.
Ralf

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
IMG_0265.jpg

It's probably a waste of time trying to guess what the serial number on the label could have been, but even though the picture of the guitar is a little grainy, I believe you can still date it by looking at what's left of the original specs. It seems to be an M-65 from the second half of the year 1959 and if that is the case, it should have a serial number on the back of the headstock, which I expect to be in the # 105xx range.

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited:

Vermonter

Reaction score
I’ll try that to see if I can read anything. My ‘58 has a serial number on the back of the headstock. It’s 8213, which I believe dates it as a 1958. I’ll post a picture of it, and my 1970 S-100, when I get permission to post pictures. I’m brand new here. Thanks for the black light tip.

hansmoust

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
I just picked up a 1958 M-65 and the label is blank, except for the Guild logo stuff, which is exactly like yours. Whatever was written on the label at the factory is long gone.

I just picked up a 1958 Freshman (cherry, full scale) and there’s no badge on the headstock. A local luthier told me there was some kind of issue with the heaspdstocks on some of the 50s Guilds. Anyone know anything about that? I am also wondering about the knobs. The knobs are Daka Ware knobs. Were these common on Freshman guitars? I can’t find any pictures of any of these guitars with the knobs mine has. This is my first attempt at a post on here, so I hope I did this right.

Hello Vermonter,

Welcome! Noticed you posted your last question in the wrong section, so I just added it to this (earlier) posting.

It is not unusual for the writing on labels from the late-'50s to fade to the point where you can't see what was originally written there.
Lucky for you the guitar should also have a serial number stamped into the back of the headstock, so at least you should be able to date the guitar properly.

As far as the headstock is concerned, without being able to see it, I have no idea what happened to it, but I can tell you that the M-65 from that particular period should have a 'gold' silkscreened logo in 'script' that may wear off in time. The front of the headstock should be black and if no one attempted to polish it up, there should be some remains of the original silkscreened logo visible.

Daka-Ware made a lot of different knobs of which some were used on Guild guitars. Do the knobs on your guitar look like these? http://www.guitarchives.nl/guitarsgalore/parts_detail.php?id=58

Sincerely,

Hans Moust
www.guitarsgalore.nl

Last edited: