F-2512E 12-string Jumbo users please give a heads up?

Reaction score
Hiza, I am going to buy one and would be happy to know what current or previous owners have say about it. There's not a lot of comments about them, and its been out for a while now. Feel? Build quality? Wood quality? Tone compared to your other acoustics?

Thanks in advance,

j

txbumper57

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Hello Jasyr, I see this is your first post so let me say Welcome to LTG! As far as the F-2512E I don't know if anyone here has purchased one yet. Most of us have the Higher end American made Guild 12 strings. Have you looked at the Guild website yet as I think they may have a video of the guitar you are looking at so you can get a feel for how it sounds. Actually here is a link to the video for it.

Being that it is a Chinese made version of a Guild 12 string the woods aren't going to be as high Quality as the American made versions and the Construction will be similar but not as detailed oriented as the American made models in my opinion. It does have a Poly finish as opposed to the Nitro finish the higher end models have. Ultimately you get what you pay for so for around the $500 price point I see these going for I imagine it will be nicer than any other new 12 string you will find New for that price. From the video it sounds decent but to my ears it doesn't have the Warmth I am used to hearing from a Guild 12 string. Like I said though, for $500 it is probably the best you will find New. Plus if you buy it new from a licensed Guild Dealer you should get a Full Factory warranty with it.

If you decide you want a bit more guitar with a Nitro finish and higher grade woods you can find a Nice Used JF30-12 which is the older American made version of the same guitar for a couple of hundred more. Those normally go for between $650-$900 on the used market in Excellent shape. They made them from the 80's on through 2004 so there are lots of them out there to choose from. Just make sure the neck angle is good and you have plenty of saddle height on whatever you buy and you will be just fine! Hope it all works out for you and I'm sure if someone here has one of the newer F-2512's they will speak up shortly. Keep us posted on how things turn out. Best of luck and once again, Welcome!

TX

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thank you!

Read and searched a lot so far and hope for more current info here. Been playing a mid-70s Epiphone FT 12-string the last 35 years.
Yes I've seen this video already...

Missed out on getting a decent acoustic when i was young, i only played electric (aside from the Epi). Mine is pretty much used up and don't want to put $ into repairs on such a cheap guitar. Top is bowing and frets are getting too low. etc.

Its not really possible to go higher on the purchase so this will be it.

Anyone on the 2512?

Reaction score
I got one in September, my first 12 string, I like it. There is another thread here where they are discussed a bit, mostly speculative though http://www.letstalkguild.com/ltg/showthread.php?189942-New-2512-Anyone&highlight=2512e

I put heavier strings on it and tune it down to d-standard, sometimes c# standard, so mine growls a bit more than the demo vid.

It is so much lighter than my 1986 d50 which was a bit of a surprise. Doesn't sustain nearly as much. I am not saying that is a drawback just shorter sustain on the 2512 compared to the d50. Basically, I am really happy with my 2512e. I probably play it three times as much as my d50. Like the electronics too.

I think ultimately Id like a domestic rosewood 12 of some vintage but I think Ill happily play this thing till I can afford one of those at 3 or 4 times the price.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
Been playing a mid-70s Epiphone FT 12-string the last 35 years..... Mine is pretty much used up and don't want to put $ into repairs on such a cheap guitar. Top is bowing and frets are getting too low. etc.

I've also got an early 70s Epiphone FT-160 "Texan" 12-string that my brother carried back from Hong Kong in the 70s. Oddly, these guitars have not appreciated in price at all and typically go for only a couple or a few hundred bucks. They're OK 12-strings, but certainly nothing special. The neck is bolt-on. You're wise to start looking at Guild 12-strings instead of putting money into that old Epiphone that will never be worth more than a few hundred bucks.

Its not really possible to go higher on the purchase so this will be it.

Guitar comparisons are obviously relative. I expect the Guild 2512 will be a definite step up from the Epiphone 12, so I think you'll feel that you're in fat city with a new 2512. After some years and if you feel you want to take another step up, you'll again feel like you're in fat city going from the 2512 to an American-made Guild 12er. So you have nothing to look forward to except goodness!

Reaction score
thank you for the replies...

I hope there's more bass on the 2512. Yes, I have the Texan 12 string... at least its the shape. Bolt-on.

I'll report back when i get it, probably on the weekend.

Big-Al

Reaction score
I own two all-solid wood Chinese-made Guild guitars. I have nothing bad to say about either of them. Nothing. They are excellent guitars. They are rich and full, easy to play, and nice to look at. (OK, maybe not as great as an American Guild, but really close.) A friend of mine also had an old American-made arched back Guild jumbo that I loved It played easy and sounded great.

I also owned a Mexican-made arched back Guild Arcos series dreadnought and recently tried out a Chinese-made arched-back Guild dreadnought . . . both 6-string models. Although I thought they were both build nicely and played well. Sound-wise I found them both lacking in sonic depth and richness . . . very generic sounding. A 12 string jumbo might be a different story though.

Last edited:

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I tried to find a 12 string that was on the less jangly side. I think that clip above is with a Maple version and is a bit TOO jangly for me.

Mine sounds about like this: Go to the 9:44 mark.

Reaction score
Owner of 2512

Jasyr, I've had the F2512 for about six months. It's a nice guitar. I can't imagine it's up to the standard of its American made counterpart, nonetheless, it ain't too shabby. I wouldn't want to bang it around because its construction is light, but the 2512 still is solid enough, and its construction is clean. Yes, light but bright and responsive. I have it with 47s tuned down half a step. The bass seems to really growl, and the mids and treble blend nicely. Not much frill(I think there is a deluxe version out now with gold hardware, maple neck, and flamed back). Light poly matte finish on body and neck, which I like. The neck feels good. A bit of buzz when it first arrived. Truss rod adjustment corrected buzz without adding much relief. I've not measured the action but it's a perfect medium for me.

Jimmer

Reaction score
I tried to find a 12 string that was on the less jangly side. I think that clip above is with a Maple version and is a bit TOO jangly for me.

Mine sounds about like this: Go to the 9:44 mark.

I tried a F-2512 at a local shop and it was pretty nice for the money. Yes a bit "jangly" but hey it's 12 string.

Boy you sure got me posting this video. I just recently sold my Ovation 1755 and bought a Guild F-412. I really miss the Ovation. It played extremely well and easy and sounded nice. I bought it used for 600 bucks and I can't imagine anything better for that price.

But I love my F-412. I don't consider it "jangly" and it has all the bass the my Ovation never had. The F-412 has this big glorious sound that is rich in overtones and colors. And while it isn't as easy to play as my Ovation was, it plays very well for a 12 string. It's a New Hartford made F-412 so I like to think it has a little bit of that Ovation know how and craftsmanship in it. Wish I could have kept them both.

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
...I just recently sold my Ovation 1755 and bought a Guild F-412....

Oh man, major congratulations! And out of New Hartford - excellent. My JF30-12 is structurally an F412, and like you say, it has this big rich colorful sound. Makes you want to play it and play it....

JohnW63

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I bit more bass is something that would be nice, on my Ovation . It's a 1758. It's a deep bowl, and very balanced. You do sort of expect a bit more rumble out of a 12 string, but maybe that's because the good ones are made with a jumbo body style.

Reaction score
ok i got it. But, still on hold.
The strings were corroded out of the box... they sent me a B-stock display model by accident. However I ordered 2 more 2512's today, coming in mid-week, will compare 'em & choose 1.

It's a cool guitar! Lots of low end! Nice action and good design. I haven't plugged it in yet but that's not a feature i care about much. (Just happy it's inconspicuous. Again, nice design) i dig the matte finish and low bling factor. Nut is sticky but since i might not be keeping this one i haven't put graphite on it. & Without my usual strings on its hard to wax poetic, but, liked it enough to go ahead with the shoot-out.

It's way different than my 70's Epiphone. (Which is a dreadnaught body, Narrower neck and courses). The 2512 fretboard is roomy and feels really comfortable. I'm glad I decided to go for a new 12 and specifically this one. Not to dis my 35 year trail pal but it is just sonically better. This is my 1st ever jumbo as well, so there's a big wow factor right there.

More to come soon. Thank you for yr comments so far!

Regards,

Jasyr

Cougar

Enlightened Member
Reaction score
Guild Total
I ordered 2 more 2512's today, coming in mid-week, will compare 'em & choose 1.

Well, that should get you a good one! It was good you busted them on trying to unload a floor model.

I'm glad I decided to go for a new 12 and specifically this one.... This is my 1st ever jumbo as well, so there's a big wow factor right there.

Good decision! Welcome to the jumbo club!